Menu

How does it work for homeschoolers?

What is the process?

Do I just fill out the form and submit the syllabus and put the teacher as my mother??

I'm on the AP course audit site but can't find anything specific for homeschoolers. Do they have a page for homeschoolers?

Thanks.

Stephanie,

May I suggest that you read this thread? Kathy in Richmond explains how she listed AP courses on her kids' transcripts--without going through the College Board audit process. It is not necessary.

Should you care to do it, there is a procedure for homeschoolers. Perhaps someone else can link it.

Jane

Stephanie,

May I suggest that you read this thread? Kathy in Richmond explains how she listed AP courses on her kids' transcripts--without going through the College Board audit process. It is not necessary.

Should you care to do it, there is a procedure for homeschoolers. Perhaps someone else can link it.

Jane

Thank you, that is a good option as well.

I don't know if I want to take the AP exam though because I don't want to test out of the classes in college.

I don't know if I want to take the AP exam though because I don't want to test out of the classes in college.

Then why bother with the AP audit? If your goal is to study challenging material, then study challenging material.

If your goal is to have an outside justification of a grade on your transcript, then you'll have to take the AP test. Approval of a syllabus allows your to say AP on your transcript--but I am not sure what the weight of that notation is without a test score.

What is your reasoning for AP without examination?

Then why bother with the AP audit? If your goal is to study challenging material, then study challenging material.

If your goal is to have an outside justification of a grade on your transcript, then you'll have to take the AP test. Approval of a syllabus allows your to say AP on your transcript--but I am not sure what the weight of that notation is without a test score.

What is your reasoning for AP without examination?

My top college explained how they rework the GPAs on transcripts and AP definitely plays a role. If I'm doing the work, I'd like the credit, especially since it'll effect the GPA they come up with.

How does it work for homeschoolers?

What is the process?

Do I just fill out the form and submit the syllabus and put the teacher as my mother??

I'm on the AP course audit site but can't find anything specific for homeschoolers. Do they have a page for homeschoolers?

Thanks.

The process is almost the same for homeschoolers as for regular teachers. We just don't have to have a school administrator approve our syllabus.

First you have to apply for an account.

Once you have an account, you submit your syllabus as a "homeschooler". There is a code. You can ask them for it if you don't find it. If you try to apply through a "school", then your syllabus would have to be approved by a school administrator.

To develop your syllabus, you cannot just use the ROC syllabus, you have to develop your own. It can be similar. But to understand what they are looking for you should study their sample syllabi and the other criteria for the course.

It looks like you are thinking of doing it for calculus? Then you can also search online for AP approved syllabi, to get even more of an idea of the variety of what is accepted.

They say that they know how much work it takes to develop a syllabus and so expect people to work together. If you or your mom know a teacher who has an AP approved syllabus for the course you want, you could see about using hers. I don't really know how that works as I've only read about the possibility.

HTH,

Joan

My top college explained how they rework the GPAs on transcripts and AP definitely plays a role. If I'm doing the work, I'd like the credit, especially since it'll effect the GPA they come up with.

Ah...that is interesting. This is the first time that I have heard of a college reworking GPA to include AP. Usually it is the high school that bumps GPAs with honors classes and AP--then the college rewrites it to a 4.0 for the sake of standardization.

And the college is OK with you note taking the AP exam?

Ah...that is interesting. This is the first time that I have heard of a college reworking GPA to include AP. Usually it is the high school that bumps GPAs with honors classes and AP--then the college rewrites it to a 4.0 for the sake of standardization.

And the college is OK with you note taking the AP exam?

They never mentioned anything about it.

Is it possible to take the AP exam, get a good score and still be able to take the class in college?

I'm taking a gap year and while I could review in that time, I don't want to go back into a hardcore math class after almost a year of no bookwork, you know?

I suppose I could just take the course knowing it is AP and just not call it that. Being prepared for the college classes is more important than a higher GPA.

I also just saw that AP exams are $87/exam :svengo:

They never mentioned anything about it.

Is it possible to take the AP exam, get a good score and still be able to take the class in college?

I'm taking a gap year and while I could review in that time, I don't want to go back into a hardcore math class after almost a year of no bookwork, you know?

I suppose I could just take the course knowing it is AP and just not call it that. Being prepared for the college classes is more important than a higher GPA.

I also just saw that AP exams are $87/exam :svengo:

You need to ask the college about taking a class after earning a good score on the exam.

Remember that $87 is much cheaper than paying for a college course.

Joan described the process well. One other thing to add: it's actually the *teacher* that is approved, not really the course. So, once the course syllabus is audited and approved, the teacher can renew each year thereafter very easily, without reinventing the whole process. If a school loses a teacher, the new AP teacher must go through the audit process again -- even if using the same syllabus, text, labs, etc.

Lisa