Menu

Mastery Math programs?

A great many of the programs I am seeing are spiral to some effect. Besides MathUSee, what other mastery (with a bit of review) programs are there?

Saxon is spiral, but it also does mastery. You drill facts every.single.day. You do flashcards and then you give a fact sheet. We ended up ditching Saxon because I couldn't stand the look of dread or tears associated it with for my kids.

That said, I do like the idea of mastering math facts and so we're working on that despite the fact that the program we use now isn't. They simply state that a child should memorize them.

Singapore Math is mastery. I've heard BJU is mastery, although I couldn't speak from my own experience. I want to say CLE is mastery? We're Singapore Math people. We did Abeka 1 (spiral), Alpha and part of Beta from MUS (mastery -- got stuck at rounding) and made the switch to SM (1A). Haven't looked back. Love it!

CLE is spiral.

Math Mammoth, Modern Curriculum Press, Singapore, Professor B, MUS

I'm sure there are more. These are all I can think of at the moment.

I'd like to add Developmental Mathematics to this list.

I'm not so sure about Singapore, though. It seems to need extra review from the people I've known who have used it (like TT-it's not mastery, I don't care what they say).

Rachel

I am not sure if Saxon is considered true "Mastery". As stated in the title it is an incremental approach. There is a great deal of repetition for mastery, but the problems do begin to evolve. By this, I mean that they ask for you to apply what you know to find the solution to a differently stated problem. I like the book, but I often find it must be substituted with additional practice (I use MM.). You may not apply what you learned for several lessons later. I always feel "behind" a bit with Saxon. Although the idea of Saxon is to master a skill before presenting new material that builds on that skill, I do spend a great deal of time reteaching the skill over and over, especially for some of the more complex structures, like 3 digit multipliers. Saxon teaches one way. MM taught more than one way. Dd now understands how the multiplication works with more than one multiplier based on how a vertical problem was first addressed in MM. So, I tend to grab the Saxon book and mix everything up a bit to get what I consider mastery of the operation/lesson.

Read on Art Reed for Saxon too.

http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/2339.php

I think any spiral (or incremental spiral) program will have a goal of mastery by the end of the course. I think the OP is not looking for that though. Some people do better with "Here's how you do this type of problem, and here are 10 problems that use that method so you can practice it and master it today." Then you review periodically. Singapore and Math Mammoth are both good examples of this. My son and I both do better with this method, so I'm using MM with him. It has enough review that he doesn't forget things completely, but it gives enough practice on one topic that he "masters" it in that lesson. Saxon bored him and me (and I was just seeing homework sheets coming home, not actually teaching it!). He didn't need THAT much review. If he was practicing math facts, he didn't still need to color 6 of the 8 blocks and then tell how many was left. It felt babyish having to go THAT far back in skills on each worksheet.

.... I've heard BJU is mastery, although I couldn't speak from my own experience....it!

Lamp Post Publishing says BJU uses a spiral approach with mastery learning. So I guess BJU falls somewhere between mastery and spiral.

Edited by LuvToRead