Menu

Hey Florida peeps: reimbursement/payment to homeschoolers-possibility

Just read in my local paper that a proposal was being floated before the Legislature to reimburse private and homeschooling parents 40% of the amount alloted to public school students, which in our county would amount to about $2800. It's been shelved for this year, but it did clear its first committee meeting. I am curious if anyone had heard about this, and if so, if you would be interested in this assuming no government meddling?

The bill was actually introduced by MY senator! Just realized that. Interesting.

here's a link

Edited by Halcyon

I wonder why. At a time when they've stopped state funding for libraries and when some counties are considering stopping school sports, why are they deciding to give us money that none of us were even looking for? Granted, $2800 would buy our curriculum with plenty leftover but I'd rather they kept that money and put it to work keeping libraries open and kids playing sports. In both cases, families in the lower income brackets depend on them. Libraries are the only places some people have access to computers and books and sports teams are the only way some kids have a shot a college.

Wow, I had no idea I felt so passionately about this. :D Or that I would willingly give up money when buying curriculum can really strain our budget.

Of course, the other way to look at it is the money isn't really "theirs" to begin with, since the funding is for children who aren't there. In other words, the schools are already getting $5800 for each of my children, neither of whom use the public schools. Even if I got 40% of that, they'd still keep 60% for kids who....aren't even there.

Or am I seeing this wrong?

There's no such thing as government money without strings, whether it comes from the state or federal government. I learned that as a ps teacher. No, I'm not interested.

I also think slr makes some excellent points. Our librarians know me by name, and I can't imagine what our homeschool journey would have been like without the library. I'd rather see them get money.

It is tough to wrap my head around when our county is being hit so hard!

We were one of the counties talking about shutting down after school activities and shorter school weeks.

With that much money my kids could participate in some extra activities we have not had money for and buying curriculum would not be a problem.

However, I too would be worried about strings attatched.

One of the things I did like about it was the ability to put the money into a college fund. That way they aren't dictating my curriculum or other homeschool choices but my son still gets to reap the benefits.

How did you find out the amount people from each county would be getting? We are in Duval.

I have some thoughts about this. When I was young it was commonly predicted that in the future most students would be doing some kind of cyber school. If you think about it, homeschooling and cyber schooling save governments money. I think would actually be in their financial interests to encourage it.

Physical institutions require tremendous upkeep and maintenance. If they were reduced or eliminated in places, money would be freed up. Perhaps we may be seeing the glimmers of a new kind of educational future in America. That doesn't mean it will happen without a fight, but it could happen.

I'm not necessarily advocating this, just looking at the possibilities.

Wasn't it just last year that FLVS was in danger of being closed or drastically cut? Between FLVS, the libraries and the lack of teachers here in my county, I would say spend the $ on those things.

I will say, if they will just spend the $ on more technology, then give it to me instead (no strings though). We only have 1 foreign language teacher at our local high school (2,000 students) but our district decided to spend $ on new technology - again. I know the funds come from 2 diff. pots but still.

Keep it but spend it well.

P.S. I do like the idea of putting it away for dc college ed. I have to think that one through.

I have some thoughts about this. When I was young it was commonly predicted that in the future most students would be doing some kind of cyber school. If you think about it, homeschooling and cyber schooling save governments money. I think would actually be in their financial interests to encourage it.

Physical institutions require tremendous upkeep and maintenance. If they were reduced or eliminated in places, money would be freed up. Perhaps we may be seeing the glimmers of a new kind of educational future in America. That doesn't mean it will happen without a fight, but it could happen.

I'm not necessarily advocating this, just looking at the possibilities.

This is what I was thinking too. It may not be so much to reimburse families who are already homeschooling, but to encourage new families to homeschool since it greatly reduces education costs. One of the dangers I see is people deciding to "homeschool" just to collect the 40% and basically ignoring their childrens' education.

This is something I've thought should be available to all homeschoolers - or at least a certain allowance towards homeschooling curricula and other costs.

I agree that it may be an incentive for more people to homeschool, but would we then have to pay user fees at the library, pay for FLVS, etc.? Funds for some entities would need to be cut or reduced if this policy passes, right?

Also, when it is known that certain groups receive $, vendors raise prices. I don't think the national curriculum companies would do this but maybe local stores, activities that homeschoolers frequent and so forth, they might.

I'm not trying to be negative, just thinking through all of the consequences. If none of these are true and there are no strings attached, then I love the idea!

Denise

So FLVS remains free. Well, as long as there is no govt. intervention that goes along with the $$, I will support this policy.

It is cheaper to pay all of us than to operate and maintain brick-and-mortor schools. We have schools that closed due to recent consolidations and because they haven't been sold or rented, still cost the county a lot of money. Maybe the thinking is that if enough people keep their kids home, the districts can close and sell schools and not have to build new ones. It would be much better than the overcrowding our county is experiencing due to the budget cuts and resulting consolidations.

I'll be watching next session to see how far this bills goes in the legislature. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Denise