Menu

Need help finding LA for 3rd grader with ADHD and dysgraphia

(I will cross-post this in the K-8 curriculum area).

My DD (8) has dysgraphia, ADHD and is a struggling reader (reading at beginning 2nd grade level). She's also very bright and very verbal. Definitely an auditory learner. I read to her a ton and she loves it. She also likes oral work (since her fine motor skills are poor).

I bought Sonlight LA 3 but it's not going to work for us this year (hopefully it will for 4th grade). The writing expected from the student is way too complicated and advanced.

We'll be doing MCP Phonics C next year. It's been working fine for us.

We're doing CLE 200 right now. My daughter really does not like it. I don't like the religious references. We are Christian but it just doesn't fit. I like the idea of a workbook but I'm not sure we'll continue with this one. Anything secular similar to this?

I like the vintage texts. Right now we're doing With Pencil and Pen and I'm thinking of moving to Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons. Anyone have experience with Sheldon's PLL?

I'm just a little lost, to be honest. Anyone have ideas for LA that would not be terribly writing intensive (we write across the curriculum anyway), interesting and not overly religious?

With an 8yo who struggles with reading and has dysgraphia, I would focus solely on reading until that is solid. If she needs to finish phonics, I'd start with that. After she has mastered phonics, I'd have her read aloud to you for 20-30 minutes daily (you may have to build up to this). I'd start with material that she can read easily and work up over time to grade level material (and beyond).

I would not do spelling, grammar, or formal writing with a child who is struggling with reading. I would only do handwriting practice for 5-10 minutes per day. If she is ok with writing some, I'd just have her write about the things she is learning in the content areas. Or she can dictate to you and you can write it down.

If you like Sonlight, it's ok to modify lessons so that they work for your child. If the writing is too advanced, eliminate it or change it to work for you.

Apologies for highjacking this thread..

Kai (or anyone else), I have an 8yr old (8 this month) who will be starting 2nd grade next year.. She still is not reading fluently.. She needs vision therapy, which we hope to accomplish this summer.. She also has Asperger's, ADHD (heavy on the H), OCD, NVLD, & SPD. Not totally sure if she has dyslexia or not, but when she was evaluated with our developmental optometrist last month, she scored very low for reversals (less than age 5). Her other main issue is convergence. We've had two psychologists say (after testing) they don't think she has dyslexia.. So it could just be a vision issue coupled with not enough practice?

Anyway, would AAS be okay for her? I bought it for her 2 years ago, but shelved it when it proved to be too much for her at that time. I'm ready to pull it back out for her and see how she does with it.. But do you think it's what she needs? She is getting fluent with CVC words now, and sounding out longer words.. But she does not practice a lot due to her obsessiveness and hyperactivity coupled with behavior issues and flat out refusing to practice. She plays outside constantly and it's hard to get her in and still long enough to focus on anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Misty- Yes, yes, and yes! My 8 yo dd sounds JUST like yours and AAS has been a life saver for us. She was technically in 3rd grade this year but couldn't spell anything past a CVC word after three years of a great PS.

I cannot say enough good things about AAS. We do 15 minutes, maybe 3 times a week and I started her in Level 1, which I'd definitely recommend doing. We are almost done with Level 2 and I hope to be well into Level 3 by fall.

She loves the tiles and hates to write, so we start with a few minutes of dictation from the previous lesson, then do the lesson with tiles, then the dictation from that lesson.

Mamatohhaleybug- I don't have any great advice, but we hate CLE's LA, too. I'm so bummed because I love their math. We've tried multiple times to do the LA and it just doesn't do it for us. My NT daughter, OTOH, loves it and excels in LA.

We've really enjoyed FLL and it seems to be plenty meaty enough with AAS, WWE, and the narration and dictation from reading and history. Wish I could help with reading, but my girls didn't struggle with learning to read. I do love the I See Sam books, though.

Apologies for highjacking this thread..

Kai (or anyone else), I have an 8yr old (8 this month) who will be starting 2nd grade next year.. She still is not reading fluently.. She needs vision therapy, which we hope to accomplish this summer.. She also has Asperger's, ADHD (heavy on the H), OCD, NVLD, & SPD. Not totally sure if she has dyslexia or not, but when she was evaluated with our developmental optometrist last month, she scored very low for reversals (less than age 5). Her other main issue is convergence. We've had two psychologists say (after testing) they don't think she has dyslexia.. So it could just be a vision issue coupled with not enough practice?

Anyway, would AAS be okay for her? I bought it for her 2 years ago, but shelved it when it proved to be too much for her at that time. I'm ready to pull it back out for her and see how she does with it.. But do you think it's what she needs? She is getting fluent with CVC words now, and sounding out longer words.. But she does not practice a lot due to her obsessiveness and hyperactivity coupled with behavior issues and flat out refusing to practice. She plays outside constantly and it's hard to get her in and still long enough to focus on anything.

Misty, yes AAS will be good, but I would start it after you have some vision therapy under your belt. The VT will make a HUGE difference. My dd naturally started sounding out words and asking letter sounds (things we had worked on for 6 years with SWR!!!!!!!) after two months of VT. Right now she doesn't have the ability to input the information visually and process it, which is why the reading isn't working. Good curriculum can't overcome that. You fix the eyes so they can work together and take the information in. You rebuild the visual processing, and THEN you go back and put in the information with that new ability to process it. Then you'll get results.

So just be patient and put your efforts into the VT.