Menu

Booster Seat Help

I have a small 7 year old and in my car I already have the Sunshine kids convertible car seat which I love and it works great for him. I need to get another one for my husbands car but I just can't afford to buy another Radion so I was checking out this one:

The First Years Compass B530 Ultra Adjustable Folding Booster

Anyone use this one? I saw the Clek Olli's but my car doesn't have the latch system and so I didn't know how convenient that would be for carpooling. Although my husbands car does. My son is going with my husband and another family to a sleep over for scouts and I am not looking forward to removing my Radion and that's why I was checking out other options.

We use a Graco Nautilus that looks quite similar to your Radian, and we like it a lot for keeping our tall 5yo harnesssed. It converts to a highback booster and then to a backless booster. The Graco highback boosters look exactly like the Nautilus without the harness to me-- if they are, they ought to be a good seat. They're only $50 at Target right now.

I have a small 7 year old and in my car I already have the Sunshine kids convertible car seat which I love and it works great for him. I need to get another one for my husbands car but I just can't afford to buy another Radion so I was checking out this one:

The First Years Compass B530 Ultra Adjustable Folding Booster

Anyone use this one? I saw the Clek Olli's but my car doesn't have the latch system and so I didn't know how convenient that would be for carpooling. Although my husbands car does. My son is going with my husband and another family to a sleep over for scouts and I am not looking forward to removing my Radion and that's why I was checking out other options.

We have these as back ups for the grandparents cars and LOVE them! DS is 8.

We use a Graco Nautilus that looks quite similar to your Radian, and we like it a lot for keeping our tall 5yo harnesssed. It converts to a highback booster and then to a backless booster. The Graco highback boosters look exactly like the Nautilus without the harness to me-- if they are, they ought to be a good seat. They're only $50 at Target right now.

We have both a Nautilus (well 2 actually) and a Turbo Booster. They are not quite exactly the same, my 48 lb, 47 inch 6.5 yr old prefers the Turbo Booster to the Nautilus as it is more comfortable to him. We haven't tried my daughter in booster mode in the Nautilus yet so I can't say how it fits her (she's 43ish lbs and about 45 inches at 5.5).

From what I've seen the belt doesn't fit quite the same when using the Nautilus, it doesn't make it a bad seat just not ideal for every child. We've been very happy with them in harness mode and had we not needed another booster we would have continued using the Nautilus as our main seat but it's now delegated to the back up seat since he prefers the fit of the Turbo Booster. They are typically between $35 and $50 at Target.

K thanks! I am just nervous to not use a five point harness.

I understand. Is your son mature enough to be responsible for his own safety in the car all the time? That's really what putting him in a booster means. Most 7-year olds are capable, especially if you are doing it for small amounts of time. And it is good for them to start practicing this because eventually they will be out of seats entirely and have to sit correctly ALL the time.

There is certainly no need to buy a convertible car seat for a child that is not sitting rear-facing.

There are several choices for seats that both harness and booster forward facing if that is what you end up deciding is best for your child.

I know the Turbobooster is a cheap seat that is often recommended as a booster alternative. There is a high back turbobooster available as well as the no-back one that is easier to find.

We have a Radian 80 in dh's Tahoe & a Britax Frontier 85 in my Yukon. I (and dd) much prefer the Frontier. It converts from a 5-point harness (which she is in now) to a high-backed booster, to a backless booster. I completely understand you wanting a 5-point harness, that is why we got the Britax. It has the tallest shoulder height harness on the market. Dd is 48 inches and turned five in March.