Menu

Photographer question?

Ok, so I have a ton of Photographer friends. All of which are constantly posting their pictures on Facebook, which doesn't bother me by the way. My question is what is it with photographers and slanted pictures? These are pictures taken in the vertical position and generally slanted to the right. For some reason that positioning must be all the rage, but it bugs my eyes. I kinda feeling like I'm on a hill side when I look at them.:lol: Does this bug anyone else or am I crazy?

It is a trend, and I've seen it done well and not well. I think a lot of pros or aspiring pros want to get shots that aren't the typical, traditional straight-on headshot. But some of the slanted shots break a lot of the rules of good design. I've done it myself...it's easy to get carried away with trying to be original.

If you have a good eye and good technique I would think that this would only be a tool that you would use, not something that you rely heavily on. I am not a professional, but I can get some really great shots and it isn't something that I use.

I'm a photographer and like someone else mentioned, it's a tool. It's not something that should be used all the time and it will not look good on all types of photos. If someone does it for every picture then I'd wonder if they really knew very much about photography.

But also, photography and photos are an art form....and art is subjective. Just like with a painting, some will like it and some won't. People have different styles and preferences when it comes to art.

I'm going to brag a little and tell you that I worked with a rather famous fine art photographer for about 10 years. (He's famous if you know fine art photographers.) Before that, I studied photography for another 4 years. His students had a running joke that what they learned from him was if a shot doesn't work a) tilt the angle b) make someone get naked c) set something on fire. But really, diagonals are important in design.

Hehe, so many of my friends are photographers in the sense that they have a fancy camera, and take pictures for mostly friends or acquaintances KWIM. A couple of them are actually good photographers and they do have some slanted pics that don't bother me so much, but some of them I look through their pics, and almost all of them are slanted. Also they tend to be full body shots. NAKIA the picture you posted is one that wouldn't really bother me, but that is what I'm talking about.