Menu

Why don't I feel like I am doing enough?

Yes, the grass always looks greener... but I can't kick the feeling I am doing something wrong with my 3rd/4th grader. She isn't overly fond of reading, multi-step math problems with any level of detail leaves her deer in the headlight, I've been doing ramped up Elemental Science for her and as is for her 1st/2nd grade brother. She does R&S grammar at grade level, narrations (which I have to pull out of her and she rarely writes independently). WWE 3 is helping her practice narrations, though she has a way to go (she just started and is only on lesson 6). She reads at grade level but often has to reread to get the main point. I keep backing up and nothing seems to help. I keep hearing and reading about kids her age doing a LOT more than she is. I read about the aggressive curriculums, high scores, blah, blah, blah and think I may be doing her a disservice somehow. I am tempted to go to a BJU type curriculum to get her back on solid footing (she did very well with BJU in 1st and 2nd and liked it a lot). We moved to Classical because brother was coming up to 1st grade and I couldn't imagine teaching 2 maths, 2 sciences, 2 histories, etc. There is only 1 me and a toddler trying to potty train and desperate for my attention.

My son seems to absorb nearly everything I throw at him. She seems to struggle. I am temtped to try a BJU class online this summer and just see what she does with it. I feel like I am failing her, not pushing her enough (who wants the fight, the tears) but I don't want to frustrate her to the point of shutting down either. I don't know that line and I wonder if maybe even PS would do better and be more effective than I have been with her.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think you aren't getting many replies because this is the high school board, but I'll give you my sympathy. I also have a child who is behind the curve a bit and I have struggled with feeling like we're not doing enough. The truth is, you can only do as much as your child is ready for and can handle. As long as you are keeping your dd challenged, you are doing enough. I gave up on getting "on grade level" within a short period of time and am satisfied with steady progress. I look back and wish I hadn't stressed so much. Yes, work on the weak areas with appropriate materials but don't get too caught up in what they "should" be able to do. If you spend the time making sure they get a solid foundation, it is amazing what they can make up later. My son took forever to get basic reading done, and then blossomed. He took AGES to write words, and is in the midst of a big surge of skills. The important thing is to not move so fast that you skip things or rush.

I would not compare siblings. It won't help (it'll just drive you nuts ;) ). They may be related, but they're completely different people.

I don't know how much you're doing, here's the basics I would recommend (we just finished 4th): Reading (real books), Writing (WWE), Spelling (we use Spelling Workout), Grammar (we used FLL, but switched to R&S for 5th and they seem very rigorous), Math (whatever floats your boat), Science, History, Art/Music (at least appreciation, this is coming from the woman that kept quitting any formal Art/Music lessons a quarter of the way through the year and promising us all that next year would be different... this year WILL be different :lol:).

If you're covering that, at least glancing at the stuff beyond language and math, then (imo) you're fine. If you're really worried, you could order a standardized test to see where she measures up in the grand scheme of things. The odds are, you'll be delightfully surprised. I know I was :D

Quit reading about what others are doing and focus on what your dd needs. She's still young and you have time to get her doing what she needs to be doing. Be patient with her and with yourself. PS won't do a better job. Trust me. I used to be a PS teacher of 3rd and 4th graders. If your dd is struggling, they will have a lot less time to help her than you do.

Have you looked over at Diane Craft's website? http://www.dianecraft.org She has some wonderful ideas for how to teach children who struggle. You can find most of what she suggests on the web or her site. You don't need to buy anything. I'm using some of her methods now with my youngest dd who struggles. I wish you much hope for your dd's future.

I can completely relate. My oldest two are three years apart, they learned to read 6 months apart. My middle child is the kind that can learn in his sleep, although he is currently entering a ditzy phase. While my oldest has to hear and do things about 50 times for it to even sound familiar and like something she might have heard before.

I spent a lot of time being frustrated with the older and expecting her to speed things up, but she just couldn't. It didn't do any good and actually harmed our relationship.

Don't stop trying to teach her, but don't push her faster than she can go. She may do the work but there will be no retention. Not only could she grow to resent you, but she might also resent her younger brother. She may shut down and say what's the point in trying, I'll never get it anyways.

On the bright side, as I am nearing the end of the journey with my older, just 2 years to go, she is now interested in things. She is taking charge of her education and picking what she wants to learn about. She does her work, without complaint for the most part. She has matured to the point that she doesn't daydream all day and have to work all night. She gets her tasks done in a timely matter. And except for math, which is still a struggle, she is catching up in all areas to where she should be.

Amy in CO,

Your post is EXACTLY why I chose to post on the HS board and not the younger board. I knew someone has BTDT and could shed some wisdom and encouragement from experience.

I got her up this morning prior to younger siblings rising to focus on math without interuption. We are almost done and she is happy and not frustrated.

I asked her how she would feel about doing some creative writing this summer, versus the narrations we do year round, and she got excited. I may grab the BJU 4 English workbook. I browsed it last night after I posted and she is way past the grammar (felt much better about that alone) but it would give me some structure to creative writing instruction. Maybe some hand holding teaching is what I need to help her too.

thank you for posting, the encouragement, and the reminder that if I push too hard, I will damage the relationship. I already saw us heading there and that is part of why I posted.

Thank you o' wise ones! May the force be with you today!

Laurie Beth

I asked her how she would feel about doing some creative writing this summer, versus the narrations we do year round, and she got excited.

We do NaNoWriMo every November. The youngest was 13 the first time (they get to pick their target word count) and it made a huge difference . (Narrations never did anything for her. This was inspiring.)