Menu

Are ANY kindle books lending enabled?

But what about the books Amazon said you can lend to each other through their lending feature? The publishers don't seem to ever allow people to lend to each other. Just a little bummed out b/c I want to loan with my family and I can't unless I hand over my whole kindle.

Yes, that is why book publishers and Amazon LOOOVE ebooks.

Just remember, Kindles and Nooks were created for the sole purpose of selling books. If it's not about that, then they don't want to hear about it. The only reason Amazon is allowing library access is because it was hurting their competition with the Nook.

Try going to lendle.me.

Even if you don't want to use their service (although I use it and love it!), you can find lists of books where lending is enabled.

And just to be clear, there is a difference between the one-time, person-to-person lending that is available now and the library lending that will be available later this year.

But what about the books Amazon said you can lend to each other through their lending feature? The publishers don't seem to ever allow people to lend to each other. Just a little bummed out b/c I want to loan with my family and I can't unless I hand over my whole kindle.

The Nook always person to person lending.

The Nook always person to person lending.

As far as I know, the Nook book lending terms are the same as the Kindle - you can lend the book once for 14 days, and during those 14 days you do not have access to it.

With Kindle, you can, however, share your account with as many people/devices as you like. One book can only be loaded on 6 devices at a time - that's the only limitation. So one could easily have a family account for a Kindle.

Library lending is completely different, of course. Though there, again, I believe the lending period is 14 days.

I can understand the ebook lending terms, honestly...Maybe not the "you can only lend it once" thing, but certainly the being unable to open it on your own device when someone is borrowing it thing.

As far as I know, the Nook book lending terms are the same as the Kindle - you can lend the book once for 14 days, and during those 14 days you do not have access to it.

And it's the publishers who make the decisions. Neither Amazon nor Barnes and Noble get a say in the matter.

And it's the publishers who make the decisions. Neither Amazon nor Barnes and Noble get a say in the matter.

I know- it just annoys me. Uuuurgh! I bet if Amazon or Barnes and Noble said it was a condition of carrying the book they would choose to do it. It's not like they'll lose many sales if you can only loan it ONE time anyway.

However, I know NOTHING about the business and it's not my place to pretend otherwise, but it is definitely annoying. :glare: