Menu

Does this look ok?

Mallorie

Hi all~I'm a new hs'ing mom, just took my boys out of public school a week ago. I just placed an order, and want input to see if anything is missing! Here's what I came up with:

My 4th (going into 5th) grader: We're playing catch-up with him, ps is waaay behind what i'm finding on the hs boards!

Wordly Wise 3000, book 1

Primary Mathematics

FLL 3, text and workbook

My 1st (going into 2nd) grader:

ETC, starting with 1, working through...?

R&S spelling

PLL or FLL (getting both through library, will see what he likes better)

Primary Mathematics

My 4 y/o: We're taking this relaxed, at her pace, so not sure how long we'll spend on these:

ETC getting ready series

R&S pre-k program

FLL 1/2

I'll be going to a curriculum store w/in the next week or so, to look at SOTW vs. MOH, or whatever other history I can compare. I don't want to buy this over the internet, I want to see them first. So, this will be added later.

For now, for the sake of $$, we'll be doing some science through library, and also lots of reading. I'm also going to try some mapping/geography and general interest learning, through the library.

Our 4y/o dd will be attending a parent coop this fall, 3x per week. She has a lot of fun there, and I can get settled with the older boys.

For the boys, I'm waiting to see if there's room in a coop for us where they'll get art, music, and whatever else they can come up with.

How am I doing? PLEASE tell me this is ok...i'm losing way too much sleep! I'll feel so much better when I have this settled!

For your 4 yo, I would NOT do FLL - a 4 yo definitely doesn't need to be doing any formal grammar program. I don't know what R&S Pre-K includes, but I would recommend lots of math manipulatives (pattern blocks, counters, etc.), and fun games (card games like war, crazy eights, etc. can teach early math skills), and perhaps some Kumon books (Cutting, Mazes), if stuff like that does not come with R&S's Pre-K program.

Perhaps some sort of writing program for your oldest?

For mapping/geography, I know SOTW includes mapping, and I think most other history programs do as well, so I don't think you need to worry about that right now.

For science, are you going to have a "plan" or keep it interest-led? (I think either is fine, just curious.)

Welcome to the board and homeschooling!

First, your kids are not behind-not one bit. This is a new frontier you're entering, try to enjoy it and don't worry about comparing, just find the right level curriculum. :D FLL 1/2 is not for 4 year olds, mud pies are, even if they are gifted. :001_smile:

For your 4 yo, I would NOT do FLL - a 4 yo definitely doesn't need to be doing any formal grammar program.

I wouldn't have thought to do a formal grammar program with a four year old, but FLL 1/2 might work out okay if it is taken very slowly without any pressure to perform. The vast majority of the first 100 lessons (the first grade part) are oral.

What about reading readiness for your 4-year old? Or is that included in the R&S pre-K program? Or perhaps either 100 Easy Lessons or Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading if your little one seems ready for learning to read.

Hi all~I'm a new hs'ing mom, just took my boys out of public school a week ago.

My 4 y/o: We're taking this relaxed, at her pace, so not sure how long we'll spend on these:

ETC getting ready series

R&S pre-k program

FLL 1/2

I agree with the others, that you would probably want a program to teach reading (like Ordinary Parent's Guide) instead of FLL. I'd save that for later.

You might be able to start him in a little higher ETC series. Have you seen the samples? CBD has plenty. Book 1 starts with CVC words, so if he already knows the alphabet, he might do well with these.

My 1st (going into 2nd) grader:

ETC, starting with 1, working through...?

R&S spelling

PLL or FLL (getting both through library, will see what he likes better)

Primary Mathematics

Your first grader could probably start up in the ETC series, as well. If he's at the end of first grade, I'd start him with book 3 (which may even be easy).

My 4th (going into 5th) grader: We're playing catch-up with him, ps is waaay behind what i'm finding on the hs boards!

Wordly Wise 3000, book 1

Primary Mathematics

FLL 3, text and workbook

Did you know Wordly Wise has a 2nd edition out? It's on CBD, as well. And I don't know if I'd start with FLL, either. Isn't that geared to 3rd graders? Have you looked at R&S Grammar?

Just some ideas for you to consider. I don't think you're as behind as you probably think you are - what is it you've read that makes you think that? We're all behind somebody, even here. :) We're not all on the same track. Just start on a program that YOU like, and try to make it sort of where they are, age-wise. There is no reason to use something lower, unless they've had extreme difficulty in school, or have had problems learning.

If they're bored and you're giving them work they already know, that won't help! It would be good for you to work through things and kind of see where they need to slow down. Also, since the year is almost over, I'd choose curriculum geared towards K/2nd/5th - even if you start out slowly, most gives a good review at the beginning. I wouldn't put them entire grade levels behind, unless there are some real learning issues.

I'll be going to a curriculum store w/in the next week or so, to look at SOTW vs. MOH, or whatever other history I can compare. I don't want to buy this over the internet, I want to see them first. So, this will be added later.

We love SOTW! Again, you can use your library to add to this. We get a lot out of the Activity Guide (including our supplementary book lists). With 3 kids, you could do all the fun games.

I can't compare it to MOH, but you could start a thread asking for a comparision of the two, and get tons of info.

For now, for the sake of $$, we'll be doing some science through library, and also lots of reading. I'm also going to try some mapping/geography and general interest learning, through the library.

I highly recommend Apologia's Elementary series. You could do one book with all of them, and it lends itself nicely to adding in plenty of library books as extras. One book is about $25. (You could do two in a year, or stretch it out).

Our 4y/o dd will be attending a parent coop this fall, 3x per week. She has a lot of fun there, and I can get settled with the older boys.

For the boys, I'm waiting to see if there's room in a coop for us where they'll get art, music, and whatever else they can come up with.

How am I doing? PLEASE tell me this is ok...i'm losing way too much sleep! I'll feel so much better when I have this settled!

All that sounds good, and they will be plenty busy. What about literature? If you use SOTW, you'll get plenty of ideas for books. There are also a couple thousand lists floating around. Paula's Archives has some good lists that you can use to add to your science and history.

What about writing for your oldest? You seem to like SWB's materials - have you seen the new Writing with Ease?

You're smart to not overbuy at the beginning. It will probably also help you ease into your rhythm by starting one subject at a time.

It takes all of us a while to get it "settled". :D I had Sonlight planned out through 9th grade and already changed my plans. I just have to suggest you look at Winter Promise for History. I would definitely start your oldest in R&S grammar, not FLL. Explode the Code is a must for the younger ones, have you looked at it? Find someone on here with kids the same ages and read some blogs, it is very helpful. Have Fun!

I am using FLL3 with my 10yos (he would be finishing 4th if we lived in the US). We did use FLL 1/2 previously & he really likes the style. I like that FLL is solid grammar in bite-size pieces. The workbook has just the right amount of writing required for boys & a lot can be done orally. We were doing 4-5 lessons / week, but have dropped to 2-3 lessons / week as we have added Lively Latin 1 this term & that has a lot of grammar included in the lessons. My goals are to give my dc a solid foundation & I tend to ignore the grade level on curriculum if it meets the needs of my dc. When Ds#2 was working on FLL 1/2, Ds#1 was using Growing with Grammar 3 & Dd was using Hakes Grammar & Writing 8. All 3 dc were studying the same information, just using different terminology. IF you are playing "catch-up" with your ds, don't over-load him with curriculum that may asks too much writing. Maybe look at FLL4. If FLL 4 has the review that FLL3 has you could start with that book. Another boy-friendly option for grammar would be Growing with Grammar. This would be a good option if your ds is ready for some independent work. I would not use Wordly Wise bk1, unless your ds is a good reader. If you really feel the need for a vocab. book, begin him on WW bk B or C first.

SOTW & Apologia's Elementary Science books would be easy to use with all your dc. Get the SOTW AG, if you can as it'll give you mapwork, color pages, & activity ideas that are great for dc the age of yours. Both SOTW & Apologia science books are "pick up & go" IMHO, & are reasonably priced for a full year's worth of studies.

JMHO,

Hi Mallorie,

My recommendation is to not jump to everything at once. For mom's that have always been homeschooling, buying everything at once is ok b/c they know where their kids are functioning (and even then they often purchase the wrong level!!)

For the 4th grader, I would recommend buying a simple base English textbook (like R&S or Voyages in English, etc) and use it as a sort of evaluation tool. Both of those are inexpensive. (you can buy older VIE books from Follett Educational Services cheaply) I would not add an additional vocabulary book, either. I would focus on writing and mechanics/grammar as well as reading comprehension until you have a solid evaluation of basic skills. Once you know what levels you are dealing with, then you might want to explore additional writing sources, etc.

Primary Math is an excellent series. However, it does not approach math in a standard way. You might find it a difficult choice for the 4th grader. There are standard texts that are excellent choices as well. I have used Horizons with all my kids with great success.

You definitely do NOT have to worry about a 1st grader being behind!!! Relax on that one. Work on phonics, reading, copywork, and basic math skills. Primary math would definitely work with this child b/c you will be learning their approach along with the 1st grade book. Just a heads up.......it is not a program that works with everyone. It does not have a lot of built in review.

I don't do preschool. I am a better late than early kind of teacher. So my 4 yr olds play all day.....can't help you there.

Oh duh....For my 4 y/o I meant to type OPGTR, NOT FLL!! I was on the computer most of the day trying to find some curric...I think it was past bed-time. ;)

We will also be stocking up on math manipulatives, for sure! I know they will all LOVE tangrams! We'll be getting a variety when we go to our curric. store.

It's so very hard for me to decide on a curric, ANY curric, being new, not at the "beginning" and without the benefit of seeing things hands-on. I appreciate all the help/advice.

We placed an order at R&S for preschool material, and some samples. If that all looks good, I will go ahead with the R&S grammar for my oldest.

For science, for now, we're going to keep it interest-led, and fun. The library will be used a lot! That gives me some time to check into actual currics to see which they'd like.

About the FLL 3 for my oldest, it's more to fill in the gaps. We'll work through the chapters that he needs some review on, and then it'll be saved for ds #2 to try, and DD, when they get to that point in a couple of years. If he likes the pieces of that book that we try, we'll go on to FLL 4, or possibly R&S, depending on how he likes the samples.

Primary math was also highly recommended, in my "help me recover from public school math" thread on this board. Again, we'll try it, if he hates the approach, we'll switch. :)

Man, this is exhausting. :lol

Primary math was also highly recommended, in my "help me recover from public school math" thread on this board. Again, we'll try it, if he hates the approach, we'll switch. :)

:lol

It's not that I think he'll hate the approach, but it is very different from traditional math programs. If you are going to go that route, I highly recommend NOT starting in level 4. I am not sure either you or he will be able to jump straight into it. It is like doing simple algebra with bar diagrams. It is definitely not your basic 4th grade math program.

I have no idea what level you should choose to start with.....but I would ask for recommendations before you order. You could probably start with level 2 and work through it quickly. Level 3 might be the actual appropriate level for him.

Yep, primary math 2A is what I ordered for my oldest. :) If it doesn't work at all, I'll ditch it, and try something else. The reason that I went with this, is that i'd like to get him more in the "math thinking" mode, where I believe he'd naturally be, but the ps system of Everyday Math has him so confused and frustrated, we need something TOTALLY different, kwim? I'm flexible on this, so depending on how he responds to it, we'll take it from there. :)

:lol: Carmen

look at Miquon for your 1st grader. My Ds#2 was speeding through the Spectrum workbooks at 4yo & was getting close to over-taking Ds#1. I decided to start hime on Miquon to give him a different way of looking at math. We call it "math detectives." It's a great program & very inexpensive. I supplemented it with Spectrum Math for the first 4 Miquon books. The last 2 Miquon books we are using between Ds#2's MUS books. I've had no experience with Singapore Maths, but really like MUS. I used Saxon for a couple years with Dd & Ds#1 & it did not work for us. MUS was a breath of fresh air! MUS has just the right amount of practice, uses manipulatives in higher levels, has the support of a DVD teacher, & doesn't require a lot of teacher-time.

JMHO,