Menu

Direction ~ PLEASE!

hsmykids

This is a completely different learning style. I am stuck between three of them. Maybe, you can shed some light

My kids:

They love projects but if there are too many they get bogged down.

Research comes easy for my son; not so much for my daughter.

Reading is definitely not their strong point but I would love to make it better.

To be honest they will do their work but they want to get it done and get outside to play.

Now, for me:

I work outside the home so realistically I can school between 9:30 and 12. I get home at 9 from driving a school bus and I leave again at 1:30 to drive the afternoon. I have found to be realistic with my timing and making lunch that is what I can do comfortably.

Here is my choices for next year:

Learning Adventures: Because it is a unit study and has received so many wonderful reviews.

Konos: I am still a little confused by it all but love all the praises it received. My concern is are they going to learn enough for our local (NY) state testing.

Trisms: Love the idea, but why the heck would they want you to use encyclopedias when you have the Internet. I think once you got in the groove it would be cake.

AWOA always looked wonderful to me. If I wasn't already very happy with SL, I would definitely try it out.

Now that I think about it, I guess the only other thing that has kept me from AWOA is that all your subjects are so integrated. I have one child who would probably learn well with any materials and another who needs a little more customization of skill-based subjects. Because of this, I suspect I wouldn't be using half the program.

Lisa

When we did AWOA the thing I loves was that we were done by noon. Since your kiddos are old enough to do some on their own, you could always assign the extras they can do alone while you are working. I think you will love it. You can go as in depth as you want. The projects are great but not too much. Some of our best memories yet.

When we did AWOA the thing I loves was that we were done by noon. Since your kiddos are old enough to do some on their own, you could always assign the extras they can do alone while you are working. I think you will love it. You can go as in depth as you want. The projects are great but not too much. Some of our best memories yet.

:iagree:

The best year we ever had! And if you just read the commentary and the read-aloud...let your kiddos read their library books (they will probably be so interested you won't have to ask twice) then I think it is doable in the time frame you have.

My daughter has used Trisms for the last 2 years. She uses the internet more often than other reference materials. She spends 2-3 weeks on each unit and then presents her work. This takes approx 2 hours/unit of my time. I started her on Discovering the Ancient World in 7th grade and this year (8th grade) she began working through Expansion of Civilization. We will finish that one in the Fall of next year. One nice thing is that Trisms is adjustable for grade level either by reducing the assignments or giving the student more time per unit. Even though she is doing it in middle school, if you do everything, the curriculum is high school level.

I'd go with:

Saxon (already using it; can get the DIVE CD's to offload it to when you're working)

Don't know about grammar--depends on what they have done so far. If you're doing Abeka or Rod and Staff you could just continue. If you're just starting, you might try RS4 for both of them, flying through it, skipping the writing portions.

Science: Science Explorer. It's engaging, and gets the job done. Or Exploration Education is good for this age for physical science, and it's more hands on and computer driven.

History: Instead of going with one of the programs you mentioned, I would go with logic stage recommendations from WTM. I'd build some literature into it. It's easy to do this, and it builds writing skills as well.

Writing: Writing Strands; if you have not used this before, start with book 4.

Bible: Concordia's Voyages is really good. I've also heard very good things about Rod and Staff

Literature: Figuratively Speaking, and WTM logic stage literature recommendations.