Menu

Why are Christians always the ones getting the bad rap for being selective in

Audrey, how did I imply that my view was the majority or the only right in my OP?

(And, FWIW, my son has read all of the HP books and seen all of the movies).

Harry Potter has come up SO MANY TIMES that I cannot believe it's still a source of shock to anyone.

Well, this little gem of condescension :

Many of us aim to figure out what it means to walk in a manner worthy of His calling. If you really want to understand why we are the way we are, just read the New Testament -- the whole thing. It's not really that long.

quite sums up a certain attitude. You assume that those who think differently HAVEN'T read the New Testament. Many of us have and STILL disagree with your interpretation.

You want others to afford you the consideration of respecting your differentness, but you won't afford them the consideration of respecting theirs?? Instead you throw that old admonition to "just read the Bible!" with the assumption that if one read it they'd suddenly "understand."

It doesn't work that way, Dawn. You believe what you believe, and even if you are 100% convinced you are right, that doesn't mean you get to say that someone else ISN'T 100% right without being challenged on that.

THAT is the kind of hubris that people object to when these discussions of what is allowed to be read or not come up. It isn't the act. It's the attitude. You yourself said that you think Christians (but I'll clarify that to "some Christians") are weird and we're supposed to, in essence, embrace that by trying to understand, yet you then go on to admonish us to just read the Bible, and we'll understand. That's a very backhanded way to go about asking someone to be tolerant of you.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Our first year of homschooling, I ordered Sonlight's Core 3+4 for American History. There was a book on Native American Prayers or some such title. I thought we were going to learn about various Native American tribes and read some of their spiritual writings or oral traditions.:tongue_smilie: I had no clue we were going to pray for their misguided souls.

I assumed that as well!:scared:

I was with you until here. A solid majority of people on this board are Christian, and I'd guess that most of them allow HP. This is *not* a Christian vs. non-christian issue. I do think that some people get amused out at least perplexed when they hear familiar works described in hyperbolic and (to them) inaccurate manner. I get that some people don't read fantasy or allow books with magic in their homes, but to say that they promote witchcraft is just silly. Where are all these witches and wizards who were turned by exposure Harry Potter?

:iagree::iagree:

I can't express how silly it is that people actually thing Harry Potter promotes witchcraft. They obviously haven't taken the time to actually read the Harry Potter books before judging them.

We are a proud Harry Potter reading household - all kids all ages. And we're still Christian. ;) There is zero obsession with witch craft or casting spells in this house. I've even read all the books - three times. :)

Let me explain this again. I do not hold to this belief, but I know many Christians who firmly believe in spirits dwelling in places where evil has been. It's sort of like people not wanting to stay in a hotel that is supposedly haunted.

These people take it very seriously. To them, they are not being lunatic. They also pray over houses before buying, hotel rooms, etc.

But it is not remotely common among mainstream Christians. So, why wouldn't most people be shocked and/or surprised by it?

Honestly, because Christians bring up the issue quite a bit around here. I've seen many threads where parents are asking about novels and how they might relate to a Christian worldview or reflect certain values.

Conversely those of us who aren't Christian or belong to a different strand of Christianity might not bring similar questions here because well, it's a mostly conservative Protestant audience here. Both factors create a certain impression I guess.

I think the "bad rap" stems more from incidents surrounding the issue rather then simply the idea of being the selective. Like the issue Mrs. Mungo mentioned or experiences with some parents who go beyon simply being selective (not letting their children play with kids who read HP for instance).