Menu

Anyone deal with "mask of pregnancy" Melasma?

are you talking about on your face? I got this, each pregnancy was worse than the one before. it fades after having the baby. I have a pretty mottley face,:confused: I don't worry much about it. it is just me. I don't get much time to look in a mirror. in fact I make sure that when I look in the mirror I only look at my hair. What I don't see doesn't bother me:D

MelissaL

I have quite fair skin but have about 15% of my face covered with it. The melasma covers the apples of both cheeks and most of the right side of my face. It can get really dark, and very noticeable in the summer. I use Triluma, a prescription skin lightening cream about 2-3 mths each year to get it under control. Then I use a 30spf or higher sunblock on my face every time I am going outside. If I miss a day or two of sunblock, the discoloration is back, and if I miss it for about 10 days, all the skinlightening effects of the Triluma are gone. Then I have to start over, using it daily for 2-3 mths, to get back to where I was.

I wouldn't worry about it as much as I do, except it makes my face look dirty. It looks like I need to wash off old sweaty makeup. My normal makeup will make it less obvious, but not hide it.

If I were pg, I wouldn't treat it, but since I am not, I do. I always start treatment at this time of year, because I am much more diligent about wearing sunscreen in the summer. I am about 1 mth into treatment with it right now

If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them.

Tap

but it didn't appear during pregnancy but rather after my dc were born. I also have fair skin and patches on the "driving side" of my face and on each cheek.

Coincidentally, I just went to the dermatologist and asked about my melasma last month. I've tried hydroquinone (a prescription of 4%), but it had minimal effects. The doctor then suggested I try the Obagi Medical System. I debated about trying this and then finally realized that nothing was going to make it better if I didn't try.

I have been using the Obagi System for about 4 weeks now and it's made quite a difference. It's not cheap and you have to be willing to go through some red skin and peeling to see results. I'm glad I using it and I think it's making far more of a difference than anything else I've tried. (FWIW, I do use sunscreen religiously on my face, but I'm thinking the damage probably occurred when I was younger and didn't use sunscreen.) I got a good deal on the Obagi System from my doctor because I agreed to "before and after" shots of my face. Your doctor might do the same if you ask. I can see how the Obagi system isn't for everyone (cost, time commitment, etc.), but it's been successful for me.

I'm no doctor, but you might try the lower level of skin lightening first ~ hydroquinone only and then move up to something like the Obagi System if that isn't successful. :001_smile: