Menu

If you built a house---did you use any "used" materials in it?

Building is looking like a stronger option for us right now since we can't find a home in our area to buy that meets our needs.

A friend suggested that we look at the "re-store" which is a Habitat for Humanity home/building materials store where they sell "used" materials. She picked up a really nice bathroom vanity with counter top for $50 and a Kitchen Aid dishwasher (high end one) that had been used once for $90. She said they even had a complete set of beautiful kitchen cabinets for $500---a savings of $5000 or more.

Obviously the selection would be more limited but I was wondering if anyone did that for at least some of the stuff in their house. I can see it could save a lot of money if it was in good shape and fit the space you had.

Has anyone done this? I am not overly picky about designs/colors, etc. I just want it to function well and be easy to clean.

We have a Habitat ReStore in our area. I can occasionally find a good deal there, but most of the materials there are not things that I could use in a new house.

We were really close to building (had a plan, had a builder, about to buy land) when life through us a loop. Our plan was to use IKEA cabinets (inexpensive, but VERY well made) as a way to significantly cut costs. If you are not picky about colors, then I would work with your builder. Ours was able to find good deals on things like granite countertops, etc. if we were not picky about color. We were also going to do things like leave the basement with concrete floors but put in some of that bronzey looking colorant to make it look purposeful until we could later go in and put in flooring.

Our Habitat Restore has lots of things like that. You just have to be there the day they are delivered to buy them. Otherwise you won't find much. I saw brand new cabinets there one day that had been from a showroom. They would have easily cost over $5000, these sold within minutes for under $400. My parents regularly find 'seconds' and new items at auctions, thru the paper, at salvage places, and on Craig's list. If you have a Buy-Sell-Trade group in your area (we have 2 for our county) you will find many things there from other remodels and such.

I have never been to a restore but I would definitely consider ikea cabinets. Also, if the state is planning to knock down your house they might let you take what you want from it (bathroom vanities, light fixtures, appliances).

We usually start at the Habitat Re-Store when we embark upon a new project, just to see if we can find a good bargain. I would keep an eye on the prices. We bought new materials for our last project and saved over the prices for used materials there. We did see some really nice sinks and toilets at really fabulous prices, unfortunately we were replacing our sliding glass door at the time.

I would have no hesitation with buying used. We did it for several things in our old house and likely will for this one when we need certain things. Just make sure you bring along someone who knows what to look for in terms of quality when you shop.

Keep in mind that sometimes older materials can be a better quality then what's out there today.