Menu

handwriting program: prettier than HWT

DDR

I'm a big fan of Getty-Dubay Italics.

Me too. I have always written in cursive, but I learnt Italics last year and now use it all the time.

For the past few weeks, I have been attending training and meetings at work and participants have had to take down copious notes. When we went over the notes later together, I found my Italics notes were much more readable and neater than those of the people who wrote in cursive.

Of course, some adults write in print and that is readable, but certainly not pretty. :)

Edited by nansk

We're switching to Getty-Dubay soon (just ordered last night). We've been using HWT for print, but didn't like it for cursive. GDI looks good, and it should be an easy transition from HWT, as the print letters are formed very similarly. There are a few differences ('t', 'g', 'y', off the top of my head) that actually make GDI a little prettier even in print. The cursive looks nice and isn't that much different from the print. I've tried out both via samples and homemade copywork (Startwrite), and I started adding some features to my own print, and it is prettier already. I'm going to learn the cursive italic along with my son and hope to have neater handwriting for it. My own cursive is awful, so I usually write everything in print.

One thing I liked about the GDI samples is that they work not only on neatness but also on writing speed (while still being legible). I'm not sure what level they start that, but I think it's a great idea.

I showed my son several different cursive fonts one day and let him pick which one he'd like to learn. I was already planning on doing GDI, but didn't tell him that. He happened to pick GDI, so that sealed the deal for me! :D

I switched from HWT (for the same reason) to Barchowsky Fluent Handwriting after reading a hand writing review article from the Wall Street Journal. I was more pleased with the look of all the letters, and the cd lets me print out my own copy work for them to do which has been useful. For first grade I'm going to explore using it in Word - the fonts are there from when I loaded the software, I've just not tried it. That would let me fit more copywork on a page - but I suspect my kids still need the reference lines, so I'll have to see what I can do.

Forgive me now while I try to figure out how to make my first "hotlink"...

Barchowsky

(Yay!)

I'd also suggest Italics.

Honestly, I encourage my son (who has HORRID handwriting) to do a mix of cursive and print. Basically, connect the letters in a way that makes it easier for him and connecting the letters makes him slow down a little which improves the handwriting.

This basically turns out to be italics.

I like the New American Cursive from Memoria Press too. Not only do they have workbooks, but they have software too. You can just type up and print up whatever you want your child to write that day (different size fonts are available, as well as other nice features).

This curriculum helped my dd, who really struggled with handwriting.

RhondaM.