Menu

ipod,ipad, kindle, etc

I am not up on technology but would like to add some and wanted some opinions. I would like something that we could use at home to look up all those questions that come during school that I am too lazy to go downstairs, start up the computer and look up. So I am thinking an ipod touch would be great but the screen is kind of small, at least for my old eyes and especially if we want to see pictures of what we look up. There are more and more questions that would be nice to conveniently look up.

I don't want to pay a monthly fee, just something to get on our home router (is that considered Wifi if it's in the home?) If we are out an in a Wifi spot that's great but not a necessity. I would also like to have a Kindle which I think ipods have a Kindle app, but again the screen size is an issue, or is it? Can a Kindle be used to surf the net and look up stuff and how effective it is? I like the size of an ipad, not the price so I would definitely wait until the price comes down.

So if you have opinions of these or other devices and maybe ideas for other uses I would love to hear. Thanks

Molly

The Kindle does have a browser, but it's clunky and you wouldn't want to use it for regular web browsing. I use my iPod touch to look up things all the time and love it; it's essentially a mini-computer, and you can adjust the screen size for website viewing. I also use the Kindle app as a backup when I don't have my Kindle with me.

Thanks, I am leaning toward the ipod touch and hearing that the Kindle is slow for browsing eliminates Kindle. A few more questions...

If I load my Kindle books (I use the computer version occasionally) on an ipod can I read them without any internet access? What can and cannot be used without internet? Is there anything that ipad can do that an ipod touch cannot and vice versa? Aside from price and screen size any differences between the two?

So why the Toshiba tablet?

I bought a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus. It is like an iPod. It was on sale at target for $100. If you do not 'activate' it, you can use it on your wi-fi at home for free, no monthly fees. So for $100, I have a little mini computer. I can check my mail, browse, take awesome photos (I needed a camera anyway, so I got it all in one). If I wanted to use it on the go somewhere where I could not get on to their wifi, I could pay $25 per month, and there is no contract, so you can stop it whenever you want. But, I am happy as a clam using it around the house. IT is amazing all that it can do. Yes, you can also download the kindle app on it and read for free. LOVE IT. Couldn't be more pleased.

I am not up on technology but would like to add some and wanted some opinions. I would like something that we could use at home to look up all those questions that come during school that I am too lazy to go downstairs, start up the computer and look up. So I am thinking an ipod touch would be great but the screen is kind of small, at least for my old eyes and especially if we want to see pictures of what we look up. There are more and more questions that would be nice to conveniently look up.

I don't want to pay a monthly fee, just something to get on our home router (is that considered Wifi if it's in the home?) If we are out an in a Wifi spot that's great but not a necessity. I would also like to have a Kindle which I think ipods have a Kindle app, but again the screen size is an issue, or is it? Can a Kindle be used to surf the net and look up stuff and how effective it is? I like the size of an ipad, not the price so I would definitely wait until the price comes down.

So if you have opinions of these or other devices and maybe ideas for other uses I would love to hear. Thanks

Molly

I would get a Dell Duo. The Duo is more expensive by about $50 bucks or so (depending on what you add if anything to it) but the it will finction like a computer not just a tablet. It will have a DVD drive... I think...It can act like an iPad but is a computer, so it will have windows on it.

Kindle can't surf.

I hate Nook - don't get started on that.

iPad is real neat but it isn't windows. I thought I wanted one until I really looked at the Dell Duo. Now I want one of those.

I do believe all the tablets/e-readers you have to pay for the 3G if you want to use it. Wi-fi works like any other wi-fi.

ETA: Ok Duo doesn't have an internal DVD, you have to use an external, but does come with USB plug in's.

Edited by Mynyel

You know, I am so used to having Windows that I am not sure what it would be like without it? I am having flashbacks to the DOS days. LOL I am sure it is not like that, but what is it like not having windows if I go with an ipod or the Virgin LG Optimus? Can I still Google everything I want to know?

I love WIndows on my laptop. My LG Optimus, though, I REALLY love! I find I spend much less time online, in a good way. I rarely use the laptop where I used to be addicted to it. Now I just take a quick look (on my Optimus Droid) at what new emails have come in, and respond later if I care to.

Yes, you can google to your hearts content! It is so simple, makes so much sense, I am amazed, AMAZED at everything it does, and how FAST, for a mere $100. I was comparing kindle, ipad, dell duo, another laptop, etc. Couldn't possibly be happier with my $100 solution!

Edited by lovetobehome

If your main interest is looking things up on the Internet, you might want to consider buying a cheap used computer or laptop. We have bought both on Craigslist cheaper than our Kindle. The Kindle is great for reading and storing books, but I think it is too slow and difficult to maneuver online.

Take care,

Suzanne

Once Kindle books are loaded on the iPod, then they can be read anywhere. The only thing they would NEED wifi for was if you read to a point on your computer and then switched to your iPod. It has this nifty thing called "whispersync" which will sync you to your last spot that you read to (after confirming you want to do that). If you're not connected to wifi, it won't sync you.

There are some apps for the iPad that the iPod can't do. As far as web-browsing, though, it's not too hard on the iPod. The bigger screen/work area is the big thing.

Price is the big hang-up with why we don't have an iPad. I just can't seem to pay twice the price for something that is just a big iPod Touch...

(But, the iPod touch is TOTALLY worth it for me. As a school thing that you'll have maybe more than 1 or 2 onlookers, you might consider the iPad just for more viewing space... Or a netbook or something.)