Menu

handwriting issues

RobinF

WWYD

My 9yo has excellent handwriting. Very neat and precise. He is very artistic and I think he sees handwriting as an extension of drawing.

BUT he forms all his letters, numbers from the bottom to the top. He doesn't do it all the time and obviously doesn't do it when writing in cursive. I am just not sure if this is something I should continue to try to correct. I have a feeling this started when he was little and I wasn't paying as much attention to his handwriting. Now because his handwriting is neat anyway I am wondering if I should spend some extra time this summer having him write "correctly"?

We started out using HWT and are now using Italic handwriting.

The other issue is how do you correct "pencil" grip for a four year old. Ds#4 "does school" a few minutes every day with us. He always has an incorrect grip. He cries if I try to get him to hold it correctly because he says it hurts. Not sure how to describe it but he holds his pencil in his fist. So how do you correct their grip when they are little? He wants to do school but I don't want to have to fight a battle with him later.

As far as the 9yo goes... I wouldn't do anything. You said he has great hw, so really I wouldn't see an issue with how he's getting it done. Handwriting will eventually be obsolete with e-mail, txting and computing correspondence.

Thanks that is what I was leaning toward and then he sat beside me today to do some work and it drove me bonkers to see him start every number (math) from the bottom! :D Guess I need to :chillpill:.

As long as he can write quickly, I wouldn't worry about it. I know one kid that writes like that and went to high school and can't take notes well. He can't write fast enough. So for him, it is a problem, but if you're son is writing quickly and easily, just look away (and I know what you're talking about... I just corrected this in my first grader this year - it was causing him issues with spacing and speed).

The 4 year old... That's a tough one. I just kept correcting mine every single time, but he wasn't resistant like yours.

Robin,

Do you know that song from HWT, "Where do you start your letters...at the top?" Sarah would giggle while singing along and replace the "top" with "bottom" :glare: I had to threaten to banish her to her room when I was doing that song with Gran. She still starts her letters at the bottom, and I've determined not to worry about it. :D

Robin,

Do you know that song from HWT, "Where do you start your letters...at the top?" Sarah would giggle while singing along and replace the "top" with "bottom" :glare: I had to threaten to banish her to her room when I was doing that song with Gran. She still starts her letters at the bottom, and I've determined not to worry about it. :D

Shannon,

Yes we know the song! He doesn't sing it wrong but that is probably only because he hasn't thought of it!

He actually has beautiful handwriting but it drives me bonkers to watch him write. I am trying to correct it with Josh as he does a few of his letters this way. Will is just determined that he CAN NOT hold the pencil correctly!

Hope you guys are doing well. How are the kiddos doing? Our little ones shouldn't be old enough to write and such.

Robin,

Hey just saw your siggy are you enjoying TOG year 2? We have switched over from MFW and are really enjoying it this year (year 1).

Hey just saw your siggy are you enjoying TOG year 2? We have switched over from MFW and are really enjoying it this year (year 1).

Yes, we love it! We switched from MFW also. We did most of RtoR and then switched to TOG year 2 to cover the Reformation. I'm finding TOG easier to use with both Ben and Sarah. There is just so much packed in there to chose from! I can pull the things for Ben that I know he'll enjoy/benefit from and likewise for Sarah. Ben prefers to read, read, read; while Sarah loves the art and hands-on stuff. We are taking it slowly though. We'll finish Unit 2 this year and move on to Units 3 and 4 next year. Not sure if we'll get any further than that.

And, time just passes too quickly at times, doesn't it? I remember meeting at the park when Sarah could barely walk, and E was sleeping in the stroller! Wish we still lived close!

I'd leave the 9 y/o alone. My 10 y/o dd writes wrong as well, but is pretty sloppy so I am working on correcting her.

For your little one, break everything into little pieces. He can't "fist" it if it's too small! These are the things I have to do with my ds when he starts regressing. I break all pencils in half for regular use, but if starts holding it wrong, I make it even smaller. Do the same with crayons, and only use little markers.

ETA: You can also have him hold the pencil in his 3 fingers, and then put something small, like a little eraser to hold in his ring and pinky fingers.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis

Yes, we love it! We switched from MFW also. We did most of RtoR and then switched to TOG year 2 to cover the Reformation. I'm finding TOG easier to use with both Ben and Sarah. There is just so much packed in there to chose from! I can pull the things for Ben that I know he'll enjoy/benefit from and likewise for Sarah. Ben prefers to read, read, read; while Sarah loves the art and hands-on stuff. We are taking it slowly though. We'll finish Unit 2 this year and move on to Units 3 and 4 next year. Not sure if we'll get any further than that.

And, time just passes too quickly at times, doesn't it? I remember meeting at the park when Sarah could barely walk, and E was sleeping in the stroller! Wish we still lived close!

I am loving that I can find things that fit them all also. Graham is loving reading and being more independent I can give him more reading to do. Eli does some of his own reading but still listens in as I read to Josh.

I know I still remember when Sarah first got her glasses. Wish we were close too.

I'd leave the 9 y/o alone. My 10 y/o dd writes wrong as well, but is pretty sloppy so I am working on correcting her.

For your little one, break everything into little pieces. He can't "fist" it if it's too small! These are the things I have to do with my ds when he starts regressing. I break all pencils in half for regular use, but if starts holding it wrong, I make it even smaller. Do the same with crayons, and only use little markers.

ETA: You can also have him hold the pencil in his 3 fingers, and then put something small, like a little eraser to hold in his ring and pinky fingers.

I love the idea of making them smaller for him to hold. I will try that. Not sure if I understand last with putting something small like an eraser to hold his other fingers?

I love the idea of making them smaller for him to hold. I will try that. Not sure if I understand last with putting something small like an eraser to hold his other fingers?

I remember a local homeschooling mom showing me this trick... She put a penny there, so he had to hold the penny with his ring and pinky fingers against his palm.

When DS was 4 (he had a really strange grip), I got The Claw http://writingclaw.com/default.aspx based on board recs here. You can also find it on Amazon.

Whenever he worked on handwriting, I made him use one. It actually holds the three fingers in place. It stretches so it'll fit over any size pencil/crayon. Anyway, he didn't like using it at first (because he wanted to do it his way) but then after a while he realized it was easier to use it. Not sure how long he used it, at least a year, maybe a year and a half. (It *seemed* like forever. :tongue_smilie:) Anyway, when he was 5.5 and starting a new handwriting book, I told him that if he could hold his pencil correctly, then he didn't have to use the claw anymore. Then he actually held his pencil correctly without complaining! He will occasionally revert to his old grip (and sometimes still colors that way), but he usually corrects himself, or I point it out and he fixes his grip.

When DS was 4 (he had a really strange grip), I got The Claw http://writingclaw.com/default.aspx based on board recs here. You can also find it on Amazon.

Whenever he worked on handwriting, I made him use one. It actually holds the three fingers in place. It stretches so it'll fit over any size pencil/crayon. Anyway, he didn't like using it at first (because he wanted to do it his way) but then after a while he realized it was easier to use it. Not sure how long he used it, at least a year, maybe a year and a half. (It *seemed* like forever. :tongue_smilie:) Anyway, when he was 5.5 and starting a new handwriting book, I told him that if he could hold his pencil correctly, then he didn't have to use the claw anymore. Then he actually held his pencil correctly without complaining! He will occasionally revert to his old grip (and sometimes still colors that way), but he usually corrects himself, or I point it out and he fixes his grip.

I think I am going to order those. thanks

Take a pen or pencil and hold it correctly with 3 fingers. Now take a small coin, lego, eraser, etc., and squeeze it with your pinky and ring fingers against your palm. The two fingers are really just pressed against your hand, but it's easier for kids to remember if they're holding something.

Ok that makes sense. thanks

My DD is 8 and has had many struggles with proper grip. She tends to cross her thumb over her index finger. I tried just about every type of grip, including a crossover one. Recently I found the Writing Claw at the local teacher store. DD did not like it at the beginning, but her writing has gotten so much better. Her hand also does not tire as easily. One of the reasons I (and DD) like it better is that it's not so bulky like some of the other grips. I would definitely give it a try. This site has many different types of grips, including the Claw. I linked to their sampler.