Menu

Funny misconceptions about homeschooling...

My mom is a former school librarian, in a state that allows homeschool children to attend public school for extracurricular activities. She assumed that to be the case in all states/districts.

We had homeschooled four years before she realized that her grandson really didn't GO school. We had a disjointed conversation before I realized she thought he actually WENT to public school for his outside art, science and p.e. classes. :lol: The sound in her voice was priceless when she actually realized he had never set foot in a brick and mortar school. "Oh, you mean, he really doesn't go to school?" No. He really doesn't.

My neighbor often calls me when her child has forgotten his books at school. I don't think she has ever realized that we don't use their books, though I have tried to tell her we don't follow their curriculum.

The sweet, elderly couple next door to us heard from my father I was being homeschooled this year.

I went over one day to help them with their grocery bags and the man said, "So, your father says you're schooling at home now." I replied, "yup" and he said "Hmm, that's why you're so pale" while scrutinizing my face.

I suppose my father forget to mention that they unchain me from my desk in the dusty, windowless basement for 2 hours a day.

:lol:

:lol:Your parents must be those liberal homeschoolers, then. Letting the DC out for air & sunshine?! Whew!

That one of his friends had told him that if I home school for more than 1 year I would go to jail. I wonder what those parents were talking about at home...

Some neighbor kids told my kids they both HAVE to go to school after my daughter informed them that her father teaches them at home. (Her father, did you catch that? I don't know what they think I'm doing. Sitting on the couch with a pack of peas, apparently.) She was 4 years old at the time, mind you. One of those kids also told my kids that jeans HAVE to be black.