Menu

audiobooks for teaching

Well, I feel like the slackest Mum in the world writing this, but... Peter has become completely engaged in listening to history and science books on his ipod. We got him 30 'Who Was..." audio biographies for Christmas, and he asked me this week,

"If I do extra Latin, can I earn some more biographies? I'd really like some longer ones, with much more detail. And can I have some more audiobooks about World War 1 and 2, the Romans, the Greeks, and the Egyptians."

So, just thought that other people might want to know that there are some really great audiobooks on audible for teaching. Some of Peter's favourites (other than the Who Was... series and the Sterling biographies) have been the Modern Scholar series.

Do you use audiobooks for teaching too? What ones have your kids liked? I really need them so I can keep bribing, I mean rewarding, him with audiobooks to learn with!

Edited by GypsieFamily

:bigear: Listening for more ideas!

My ds absolutely loves the SOTW cds. With each volume I'd hand him, he would take it with a smile and retire to his room for hours at a time - just him, his legos and Jim Weiss. I would love to find something of that caliber that speaks to early American history. He's starting to come to me with "Mom, I need new stories." He's been listening to the SOTW cds for about 3 yrs now. The kid knows more history than I ever did!

We watched a documentary "Seven Ages of Britain" tonight. It was not relaxing. Peter and Susan kept interjecting to add bits. They constantly felt the need to elaborate. e.g. It mentioned the Romans and Britains, and I got a big speel about Julian Caesea 55BC and Claudius.

I just wanted them to shut up so I could enjoy the documentary! :001_smile:Does that give me a huge F as a hs mum?

We always listen to audio books during breakfast and everytime we're in the car - any kind, all types, educational or not! I'm constantly just going to the library catalog and browsing! Our latest - Bill Bryson's Short History of the World and WOrld of Shakespeare.

Myra

We have literally hundreds of audiobooks. The kids have an ipod each and only have audiobooks on them. Some of our favoured ones from Audible are:

"Who Was..."

"Sterling Biographies ... "

"Sterling Point Biographies ... "

"Modern Scholar: ... "

BBC dramatised versions of Shakespeare's plays

Greek/Norse/Roman/Egyption mythology

Beowulf

Iliad

King Arthur

Robin Hood

Mendel

Hubble

Mendeleyev

A lot of the time we use these (Audible or Librivox) to listen to AO recommendations etc. It's a huge part of school for us!

I was just wondering what ones other people have found useful.

I just wanted them to shut up so I could enjoy the documentary! :001_smile:Does that give me a huge F as a hs mum?

I think that's worth an A+ :D

I'm a bit excited about audiobooks atm. My daughter is finally asking me to read to her, which she hasn't done since she was one, so we've ordered a kiddie friendly mp3 player and I'm going to find somewhere to download Winnie the Pooh from. She's playing in her room a lot these days, so I think she's going to love it! Robin Hood is a good idea too. She used to love that...

:happydance:

Rosie

Rosie, Lucy got a little nano from her grandparents for her 5th birthday. She's always loved it. Her special favourites would be the BBC nursery rhymes (Wheels on the Bus and Pat-a-cake) from Audible, but she also loves the Fairy Tales, Fifty Famous Stories Retold, Magic Tree House, the Very Hungry Caterpiller, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly and so on.

An awful lot of times that I've read a book outloud to Edmund or Lucy, I've recorded myself reading them. They've got them all on their ipods now, too. They curl up together on Lucy's bed and flick through the book as they listen to 'me' read. :001_smile: Talk about corner cutting!