Menu

Lightning Lit 7 or BJU Lit 7-which one do you like and why?

Oh dear. My dd found some new favorite authors through the BJU lit 7, and I really like their diversity. LL7 I've never used, but it looks fine. I say do both. :)

Seriously, you could find a used copy of the BJU 7 and use it as a starting point. Then do LL7 more fully.

Light-Lit is a writing and literature program. The title says it all. :)

From a WTM perspective, using a text for literature can have its drawbacks. You do not have the full source; you only see passages and snips. It is thought that you could hamper a love of reading and appreciation of literature in this manner. I believe the common consensus is not to use a standard literature text.

I do not subscribe to this thought, but I wanted to toss it in there being that we are on a classical forum.

If you want to pursue a great deal of writing with your literature, I would choose Hewitt. I loved the composition prompts and discussion-type writings. As well, there was ample coverage for comprehension checks. I used it in high school - both of the American guides with literature. I was very pleased with the depth of coverage too.

Now, if you need more study in the way of elements and style or you need more exposure to genre or you want an open and go, then I would likely choose BJU. I used Elements of Literature, a secular text, for 6th through 8th - until I discovered Hewitt.

(I loved the Nation of Nations (Hewitt) text for highschool - just an aside.)

We started Lightning Literature 7 with DD in 6th grade but took almost 2 years to go through it. DD is a strong reader but a reluctant writer so the writing assignments took us a little longer. We rolled right into LL8 and finished it in a year.

I like that it uses full books and also includes short stories and poems. DD enjoys most of the reading choices. These levels are a great introduction to analyzing literature and we plan to continue with their high school levels.

Pegasus

I have used both and find both programs to be excellent.

The writing in BJU, I found to be more challenging. In LL they are given several choices for a writing paper and can choose one better suited to their writing style. This is helpful if you have a struggling writer.

What types of writing is in BJU? I am also considering either one of these

What types of writing is in BJU? I am also considering either one of these

Most of the writing assignments are suggestions to link writing to the literature. Usually found in the writing links or enrichment areas of the teacher manual and given with very minimal direction (BJU does teach writing but in the Writing and Grammar curriculum. I cannot remember exact writing assignments from the 7th grade book since it was over 4 yrs ago, but I do remember most tried to get you to think of happenings in your life, or people you know, or something pertaining to you and connect it in some way to the story or poem you just read. Other writings included literary analysis type papers. The writing assignments could be eliminated though if you are using another writing program.

Most of the writing assignments are suggestions to link writing to the literature. Usually found in the writing links or enrichment areas of the teacher manual and given with very minimal direction (BJU does teach writing but in the Writing and Grammar curriculum. I cannot remember exact writing assignments from the 7th grade book since it was over 4 yrs ago, but I do remember most tried to get you to think of happenings in your life, or people you know, or something pertaining to you and connect it in some way to the story or poem you just read. Other writings included literary analysis type papers. The writing assignments could be eliminated though if you are using another writing program.

Thanks! So since BJU writing and grammar and then Lit is one Sem. long, I can see that that would equal writing all year. Still undecided. Thinking of going with the DVD's though

Thanks, everyone! Helped a lot!

I looked at a df's BJU 7 and I like the variety of genres-something we don't get much of around here. I think we could move through it rather quickly-I think we could each read it separately and then do more of an oral discussion type of thing together, using the questions as a jumping off point and then discussing the points raised in the TM. My df that has done all the BJU upper level lit (and she knows my dd's abilities) said that doing it this way, we could easily finish it in the first semester over about eight wks (along with finishing up Figuratively Speaking.)

I think we'd do LL7 too-it is a very different and good approach. BUT I would skip a couple of the books and do it over the rest of the year. (I'm not interested in doing James Herriott or the Helen Keller at this point.)

So yes, OhE, I may try to do both! I still have to look and see how much time we have for lit in our schedule though-plus her schedule is already writing-heavy so not sure if we can do the LL too; may need to wait a year on that, not sure. I like the elements covered in LL though! Argh!