Menu

Name that writing program!

Here is what I am looking for in a writing program for my soon-to-be 5th grader (yeek!):

• Will teach him how to write effective paragraphs, and then short essays
  • Creative writing - poetry, stories, etc.
  • Writing reports, including note-taking, outlining, etc.
  • Doesn't cost a whole lot

Is there any such program?

I'm not sure if the Classical Progym. approach interests you. But I think that CC (http://www.classicalcomposition.com) would work. I am going to be working through the first half of both Fable & Narrative next year. I think it has the creative writing with the stories and retellings, it teaches outlining, it also works with sentence style. I don't think it moves into Essays quite yet, but I would guess by the next level it would. I am beginning to think that I want my dc to learn 'how' to think right along with their writing skills, that way when they are actually writing things like the 5 paragraph essay they won't just be fulfilling the 'formulaic requirements' but will actually be something interesting to read. I am hoping that working our way through the progym. exercises will do that.

I will say that I have used WT 1 with them both and I have seen them flourish with this approach. Even my ds8 is writing a full fledge retelling that is ordered and makes sense. He said to me the other day that when he looks down at his finished draft is is "so proud of himself!" So, for me, I know that this is the right direction. I have also nabbed a few low cost copies of Imitation in Writing. And I plan to do some of the fun writing exercises in Writer's Jungle this summer each week.

Have you thought about Rod and Staff English?

I've used Levels 3-7 and the writing instruction has been (surprisingly) effective! We have supplemented with Classical Composition a few of the years. But the writing portion of R&S is solid.

I've compared it to other programs, like Write Shop, Put That in Writing, and they all cover the same basics. Sometimes R&S even goes into more detail than other writing programs. It's just hard to believe that a grammar program can include decent writing instruction!

A sample of topics covered in R&S English 5 that you mentioned above are:

Writing a paragraph, Paragraphs with unity and order, Sentence Variety in paragraphs, Developing paragraphs...

Learning to Outline, Making an Outline for a Report

Observing, Listenting, and Taking Notes

Poetry, Rhyme and Rhythm in Poetry, Descriptive Language in Poetry

Writing a Story, Using Conversation to Make Stories Interesting...

Each year builds upon the last. And you can modify assignments to match your child interests or what he/she is currently studying in science or history.

My daughter is currently using R&S 7 which teaches 5-6 lessons on how to write a short story. She is having so much fun, and I can't wait to read her final draft!

Essay/persuasive writing is emphasized in R&S 8.

And.... the pupil books are all under $20. R&S 5 is only $15.30. A deal for both grammar and writing! (Annual sale in April offers 15% off).

Hope that helps!

I would say that you should look at Write Source too. I was going to mention Hake as well as Rod&Staff.

As I looked at each need - I started adding Killgallon and Write with the Best (creativity) as supplements.

Yet, I think Write Source may hit the markers the closest. Read the table of contents and reviews on Rainbow Resource.

I would say that you should look at Write Source too. I was going to mention Hake as well as Rod&Staff.

As I looked at each need - I started adding Killgallon and Write with the Best (creativity) as supplements.

Yet, I think Write Source may hit the markers the closest. Read the table of contents and reviews on Rainbow Resource.

Would I need the teacher guide, skill book, etc., or just the student workbook for Write Source?

I have to chime in on R&S. I've used it for grammar & writing through 5th grade (we'll be starting 6th soon). While I think the writing instruction it provides is good, I don't think there is enough practice between writing lessons (I don't mean within a lesson). You do several grammar lessons, then a writing lesson, then no writing for a while, then more grammar lessons , a writing lesson. There is no pattern to the writing lessons, they are sporadic. Hope I'm making sense. I think more frequent writing practice is needed.

I know SWB says it's enough for writing instruction through 5th - I'm thinking now I should have done more.

I do know going forward I think ds needs more writing practice and instruction.

I have to chime in on R&S. I've used it for grammar & writing through 5th grade (we'll be starting 6th soon). While I think the writing instruction it provides is good, I don't think there is enough practice between writing lessons (I don't mean within a lesson). You do several grammar lessons, then a writing lesson, then no writing for a while, then more grammar lessons , a writing lesson. There is no pattern to the writing lessons, they are sporadic. Hope I'm making sense. I think more frequent writing practice is needed.

I know SWB says it's enough for writing instruction through 5th - I'm thinking now I should have done more.

I do know going forward I think ds needs more writing practice and instruction.

Regarding the bolded above...the lessons are meant to show how, its up to you to provide more practice. For example, when you learn how to write a friendly letter you would then incorporate writing letters into your dc's schedule throughout the rest of the year. The same for all of the other writing instruction. Once the dc is exposed to the writing concept (unity in a paragraph, sentence variety, outlining, writing a report...) incorporate it throughout your curriculum.

Ofcoarse this puts the responsibility on the teacher to make sure you are practicing all of those skills periodically and there is no doubt that following a "writing curriculum" that provides a full year of practice is much easier. However, then they aren't learning how to apply those writing skills to other subjects. It all would depend on what works best for you but R&S definitely provides a framework of writing instruction, especially in the upper levels. Just my.02:001_smile:

I have not seen the skill book. Yet, for the editing and proofreading, I would buy it for the skills practice. You can always skip what you do not want to use (such as the grammar).

It is also my understanding that the TE covers a little bit more in presentation and assistance. For example, there are lesson plans, step-by-step explanations, extra activities, and help with writing across the subjects. It will help you enrich the writing for those advanced or gifted learners too. It is not portrayed or explained by others as just a minature version of the student stext.

I use a multitude of guides and books. If I could only pick two - I would choose Write Source and Writing Strands I believe. Well, depending on what others I find, this could change next year!:lol:

Here is a link to the websie ... http://www.greatsource.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=Browse&subcmd=LoadDetail&level1Code=01&level2Code=002&level3Code=G00005&frontOrBack=F&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE&division=G01

Would I need the teacher guide, skill book, etc., or just the student workbook for Write Source?

Regarding the bolded above...the lessons are meant to show how, its up to you to provide more practice. For example, when you learn how to write a friendly letter you would then incorporate writing letters into your dc's schedule throughout the rest of the year. The same for all of the other writing instruction. Once the dc is exposed to the writing concept (unity in a paragraph, sentence variety, outlining, writing a report...) incorporate it throughout your curriculum.

Ofcoarse this puts the responsibility on the teacher to make sure you are practicing all of those skills periodically and there is no doubt that following a "writing curriculum" that provides a full year of practice is much easier. However, then they aren't learning how to apply those writing skills to other subjects. It all would depend on what works best for you but R&S definitely provides a framework of writing instruction, especially in the upper levels. Just my.02:001_smile:

Exactly. There is plenty of writing instruction in R&S, but you need to extend it outside of class for more practice.

That's what I thought of when I read the OP. You can just use the handbook as a guide for the year's writing.

Yes, you could. I like that the TE has the extension plans for across the curriculum. If I did not use other programs in conjuction with WS, I would buy the lot, including the skills book for the proofing and edit practice.

I use the handbook now with other programs, including Writing Strands.