Menu

? Concerning Sonlight Level

Hi,

I have a 10 yr old/ 5th grader reading on a 7th/8th grade level. I am adding Sonlight to her schedule because she loves the read-a-louds and their literature selections in general. I will order only the IG and then try to obtain as many of the books from my library as possible.

I am uncertain as to which core to order. I have considered 5, 6, 6+7, or 8. Do any of you long time Sonlight users hav e any suggestions? I would like her to be challenged and do the majority of the reading at her grade level .

Thanks,

Trafal

I am starting Sonlight new this year too. I also have a 10 year old daughter. I am going to do core 5 (f) with her not because of any reading level, but because I want her to be able to do the Eastern Hemisphere study. It looks to me that this is the only time they would get it. I have most of the books and some of them are easy reads, but some are more challenging. I also considered interest level for her age. Even though she is capable of reading at a high level, I want her to be interested in what we are learning. Good Luck with your choice!

I usually choose by subject matter. Do you want Eastern Hemisphere (old Core 5, new Core F), Ancients and Middle Ages (Core 6, new Core G), Renaissance to modern (core 7, new Core H) or In depth American history (core 100).

I would NOT choose the old 6+7 because it combines the two years and eliminates a lot of good books.

I would also save Core 100 for later. It includes To Kill a Mockingbird and other titles I think are more suitable for high school.

My dd13 has read almost all the (old) Core 5 through Core 7 books and enjoyed them. I would say Core 6 had more matures themes in some of the books than Core 7.

Hope this helps.

Sonlight's Core recommendations are based on content level, not reading level. The majority of the elementary cores are read aloud by the parent. Each core deals with challenging topics that your child needs the emotional maturity to handle and understand. Core F (5) is the most difficult core recommended for 5th graders. Also consider Core D, E, or D + E.

http://www.sonlight.com/homeschool-curriculum.html?type=grade&grade=5&tab=core

I totally agree with PPers that you should pick based upon the content you want to cover. Because you are using real, good books, you have quite an age range that any core will work with. If you know what topics you want to cover in history (which time periods), that will help to narrow it down quite a bit for you :).

My now DD11 read all but two of the books from Core 6 last year as a fifth grader, we are doing a mix of Core 7 and 100 right now in addition to our TOG studies, we plan to continue this and add in some of Core 200 for next year. She read all of Core 5 over the summer or worked into our regular studies. It really just depends on her interests. I would suggest you review the books first for content depending on the maturity of the child. :)

Just a suggestion: for your main History/Geography readings, consider going with a Sonlight core that is appropriate content-wise for DD's age -- such as Core 5 (Eastern Hemisphere) or Core 6 (Ancient & Medieval World) -- and then challenge your advanced reader in the Literature department, either by adding in a few longer, older works to match the Core; or a Literature program to do in addition to the Core; or select some individual works and Literature guides to do in addition to the Core.

Lightning Literature & Composition 7

Full-year; eight units; gentle introductory literature program with works that would be engaging and do-able content-wise for an advanced 5th grade reader. Covers novels of different genres (realistic; fantasy; autobiography), plus short stories and poetry. See a sample unit.

novels

- Adventures of Tom Sawyer

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

- The Story of My Life: The Autobiography of Helen Keller

- All Creatures Great and Small

short stories

- Rikki Tikki Tavi

- Bride Comes to Yellow Sky

2 units on poetry (each unit covers 6-8 poems)

While these are more "unit studies" rather than Literature programs, these could also be good additions on top of a Sonlight core for an advanced/voracious reader:

Further Up, Further In

Full year; grades 5-8 (realistically, I'd say more like grades 4-6); unit study with Bible, literature, history, science, arts & crafts, etc. as you read/study the 7 books of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Where the Brook and the River Meet

Full year; grades 7-12; unit study with dictation, recitation, memorization, essay-writing, primary documents, hands-on, field trips. The author does NOT recommend this for girls under age 12, so this one might be a good one to look at in 2-3 years:

"Q: My daughter is ten years old and loves Anne of Green Gables. Would this study work for us?

A: Where the Brook and River Meet is intended for junior high and high school students. The mean age for students using WBRM is 15.5 years old. Although a ten-year-old can understand the plot of Anne of Green Gables they are not ready for the critical thinking this study offers."

Individual middle school level Progeny Press guides

go along with Core 5 books ("other cultures" focus):

- The Cay

- Island of the Blue Dolphins

- The Secret Garden

- Shadow Spinner

- Swiss Family Robinson

- Voyage of the Dawn Treader

- A Wrinkle in Time

go along with Core 6 books (Ancients/ Medieval focus):

- The Bronze Bow

- Crispin: The Cross of Lead

- Prince Caspian

- Redwall

good books for 5th grade, not matching Core 5 or 6 (and non-American History, as I'm guessing you've just done Cores 3 and 4):

- Anne of Green Gables

- Holes

- Indian in the Cupboard

- The Magician's Nephew

- Shiloh

Garlic Press Publishers: Discovering Literature series:

For grades 5-8; these would all be excellent books to do in addition to a Sonlight Core (see samples at http://www.rainbowresource.com)

- My Side of the Mountain

- Where the Red Fern Grows

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

- The Outsiders

Glencoe Literature Library guides

(Free; online; the following books would be appropriate content-wise for a 10yo:

- The Call of the Wild

- I, Juan de Pareja

- Julie of the Wolves (there is one "mature" moment in this book: preview)

- Shiloh

- Sounder

- Where the Red Fern Grows

- A Wrinkle in Time

- The Yearling

Edited by Lori D.