Menu

Fabulous article -- Mothers Bullying Mothers

I thought some of you might enjoy this as much as I did.

http://catalystsforhealth.com/mothers-bullying-mothers'>http://catalystsforhealth.com/mothers-bullying-mothers'>http://catalystsforhealth.com/mothers-bullying-mothers'>http://catalystsforhealth.com/mothers-bullying-mothers

"I looked at her kitchen and rolled my eyes. The breakfast dishes sat on the counter, unwashed, and the kids would be home from school soon.

“Did you exercise today?†I asked. “No,†she mumbled. I knew she had gained 20 pounds and was trying to lose them. Did she really think she could do that without exercising?

Before I could ask another question, the children stormed in in a whirl of noise and tossed backpacks, shoes and jackets. “Thad was going “Neh! Neh! Neh!†on the bus, Jay complained. “It’s so embarrassing!†He shot his brother a dirty look while Thad whined, “I’m sorry! I’m so, so sorry!â€

I noticed her rushing to throw together a snack while Thad clings to her. Goodness! The kids come home at the same time each day. Was she really going to give them some packaged treat because she couldn’t cut up an apple five minutes before they came home?"

Read the rest here: http://catalystsforhealth.com/mothers-bullying-mothers

Awesome! I liked this part from the link about Good Enough Parenting

In our work as parents, we strive for an ideal. We know how we want our parenting to look: joyful connection with our children, preparation of healthy meals, living in a clean and beautiful environment, reading and playing together, gently supporting our children in times of need. As these tasks become impossibly difficult, we push and struggle and wonder why we can’t make it work. We beat ourselves up, blame situations or people or our history or situation.

A group of friends has been discussing some painful realizations:

• I don’t want to play with my children.
  • There’s nothing I want more than time away from the kids.
  • I’m angry that he doesn’t talk.
  • I hate that she’s not potty trained.

Astute parents try to shift out of these feelings by feeling gratitude for the things they do like about their children, situations and themselves. Gratitude is a lovely practice, but faking it isn’t gratitude. It becomes another should (I should be grateful for my children, my home. Why aren’t I?) The idea that we should be grateful becomes another reason for guilt and sorrow.

When you experience such feelings, acknowledge them and love yourself anyway.

She had these quotes:

This is the curious paradox, when we accept ourselves as we are, then we change. (Carl Rogers)

This week, I experienced an extension of this paradox: When we accept our work as good enough, better happens

She's NOT bullying herself; she's criticizing herself. Just becausing "bullying" seems to be the meme at the moment doesn't means it's well applied here.

Whether or not her self-critical talk is rational or not is relevant, but calling it bullying is just stupid.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

She's NOT bullying herself; she's criticizing herself. Just becausing "bullying" seems to be meme at the moment doesn't means it's well applied here.

Whether or not her self-critical talk is rational or not is relevant, but calling it bullying is just stupid.

I thought the opposite. I thought it was a clever use of the word to make us think about it. True, the actual definition is to be used as intimadating and criticizing someone else. The article starts out making you think the author is doing that to someone else. And then we realize that she is doing it to herself. So, if we shouldn't treat someone else that harshly, why should we talk to ourselves that way? I thought it was a good way to make a point. Not to bully you about it though, because you are right bully is the overused word of the month.:001_smile:

She's NOT bullying herself; she's criticizing herself. Just becausing "bullying" seems to be meme at the moment doesn't means it's well applied here.

:iagree: mis-using this word because it's the current attention getter is really doing a disservice to victims of actual bullying. And this article used it several times, like the author couldn't come up with anything else... get a thesaurus!