Menu

Phonics Road and WTM/SWB writing

abrightmom

PR Moms,

If you are familiar with SWB's writing plan based on TWTM and her excellent mp3s will you compare her approach to PR's? A list of skills taught in PR doesn't really help me as I've seen that. I'm really interested in hearing more behind the hows & whys. What writing path are we traveling with Mrs. Beers and what will we be doing along the way? What is the end goal in PR composition and how prepared will we be for logic stage writing a la SWB/TWTM?

SWB's plan really resonates with me and I'm trying to reconcile that with PR if possible....not sure.

Thanks!!

PR Moms,

If you are familiar with SWB's writing plan based on TWTM and her excellent mp3s will you compare her approach to PR's? A list of skills taught in PR doesn't really help me as I've seen that. I'm really interested in hearing more behind the hows & whys. What writing path are we traveling with Mrs. Beers and what will we be doing along the way? What is the end goal in PR composition and how prepared will we be for logic stage writing a la SWB/TWTM?

SWB's plan really resonates with me and I'm trying to reconcile that with PR if possible....not sure.

Thanks!!

Pretty close, as both are classical. They reconcile well. PR will end with an essay, which will put you a little further along than SWB grammar recs and in an ideal place for Logic Stage writing. I think PR offers the increments for you that SWB would have you follow, only I think PR goes a wee bit faster in their speed; however, if a person starts PR a little later, they'll be in the same boat. They really are very complimentary in approach.

You may start longer dictations a bit sooner in WWE. I can't say for sure, though b/c I don't own it; however, the dictation picks up in length by the end of Level 3 and def. in 4.

Ask me questions using SWB recs and I can line them up for you fairly well.

Ok, Tina, or someone else that has experience with this.....

Ds 5th is almost done with the Little House study, but we will be working through the rest of PR2 for a month or two more. I want to implement some of the "writing across the curriculum" that you recommend for our MFW studies. Right now, we are just doing short narrations since his writing skills are far behind grade level. However, he has grown tremendously with just the consistent dictation and I can now get him to write a few sentences with no prompting and they are pretty good.

What I would like are some ideas of how to implement some of the writing skills taught so far. I need specifics since I am a VERY math minded momma. I can write when required and always got excellent grades in college, but I have no idea how to teach it.

PR Moms,

Thanks!!

:bigear::001_smile:

Ds 5th is almost done with the Little House study, but we will be working through the rest of PR2 for a month or two more. I want to implement some of the "writing across the curriculum" that you recommend for our MFW studies. Right now, we are just doing short narrations since his writing skills are far behind grade level. However, he has grown tremendously with just the consistent dictation and I can now get him to write a few sentences with no prompting and they are pretty good.

What I would like are some ideas of how to implement some of the writing skills taught so far. I need specifics since I am a VERY math minded momma. I can write when required and always got excellent grades in college, but I have no idea how to teach it.

Sandi,

Have you read TWTM or listened to SWB's writing lectures? They really lay down a nice plan for you and tell you exactly what to do and when. I'm honestly having a difficult time choosing a boxed curriculum because I don't want to mess up writing! I'm not sure how to implement SWB's ways into something "boxed". I'm still pondering it though.

What grade level is your son at with writing? Here's a check point for you. SWB says in her lectures that a kiddo going into 5th grade logic stage writing should be able to do two things. 1) Take an idea & put it into words. 2) Take the words and put them on paper. She teaches these skills by using copywork, dictation and narration throughout grades 1-4. By the end of 4th grade she is expecting the child to be able to take 2-3 sentences from dictation with minimal errors. In addition to that the child should be able to sum up a reading of 3-4 pages (from history, science, or literature) into a paragraph narrative. Then the student needs to be able to write that paragraph down with minimal help. By paragraph she means 4-5 sentences. It is my understanding that using WWE will really help with this process as it walks the teacher through how to help the kids learn to summarize in their narrations. The dictation passages in WWE are killer too! :001_smile:

In 5th grade she has the students doing 1 level outlines all year long with a goal of being able to identify the single most important thing in each paragraph (not a summary). In addition, the student writes 2 brief narrative summaries in history, science or literature. The student is also writing about literature once a week and this is in addition to/different from the narrative summaries. She calls this a "literary essay". TWTM will lay down some of the details of this for you and give you the questions you need. Basically, you use the list of questions she's provided. Pull out 1 or 2 of those. The kid answers and writes it down. You're not looking for a well developed analysis at this point. She lets 5th graders type :001_smile:.

I honestly think it's worth the few dollars and the two hours to listen to the first 2 writing seminars. They are here. You'll want to listen to A Plan for Teaching Writing: Elementary Grades as well as the Middle Grades one. You should also beg, borrow or steal :D (not really) a copy of TWTM if you don't have one. It has a ton of very helpful "stuff" for writing at every level.

I don't know what books you are reading or that your son is reading. If you are asking him to narrate to you then perhaps you should work with him on the written narrative summaries twice a week. These are 4-5 sentences long. You could also look into the "literary essay" and see if perhaps you could try one with him based on something he is reading :001_smile:. It doesn't sound like he's ready to jump into 1 level outlines yet. . . not sure when that is learned in PR though.

:001_smile::001_smile: Other than my summary of SWB's recommendations (which are fleshed out beautifully for you by her - you really should listen) I am completely inexperienced with any of this. I am only making suggestions about what I'd try based upon what I am learning from my Writing Teacher Hero :001_smile:. It is all shared in total humility and I'm very open to correction as well....

Sandi,

Have you read TWTM or listened to SWB's writing lectures? They really lay down a nice plan for you and tell you exactly what to do and when. I'm honestly having a difficult time choosing a boxed curriculum because I don't want to mess up writing! I'm not sure how to implement SWB's ways into something "boxed". I'm still pondering it though.

Katrina,

I have listened to the early elementary lecture and I am currently reading WTM. I am just starting the Logic stage so I am sure I will enjoy reading more about this. I have WWE Fundamentals and have read the introductory sections. Writing has been the area of homeschooling that I ignored because I didn't know how to teach it. Now, I regret that with this ds, but I am doing better with the younger two.

What grade level is your son at with writing? Here's a check point for you. SWB says in her lectures that a kiddo going into 5th grade logic stage writing should be able to do two things. 1) Take an idea & put it into words. 2) Take the words and put them on paper. He can do both of these things. PR has REALLY helped, but he is about to finish up 5th. She teaches these skills by using copywork, dictation and narration throughout grades 1-4. By the end of 4th grade she is expecting the child to be able to take 2-3 sentences from dictation with minimal errors. Are they supposed to remember all 2-3 of the sentences and then write them? Or, one sentence at a time up to 2-3? I have done some dictation for years, but haven't understood what SWB expects for this requirement from listening to the lecture or reading WTM/WWE. In addition to that the child should be able to sum up a reading of 3-4 pages (from history, science, or literature) into a paragraph narrative. Then the student needs to be able to write that paragraph down with minimal help. By paragraph she means 4-5 sentences. He has gotten better at this. I will admit that I when we used HOD, I skimped on narration. He is doing okay in this area, but can use some work. It is my understanding that using WWE will really help with this process as it walks the teacher through how to help the kids learn to summarize in their narrations. The dictation passages in WWE are killer too! :001_smile:

In 5th grade she has the students doing 1 level outlines all year long with a goal of being able to identify the single most important thing in each paragraph (not a summary). PR2 had him form outlines twice, but already had the sentences for him. He just had to place them under the proper sections of the outline and learned the lay out of the outline. He did not have to actually read and outline a piece from scratch. In addition, the student writes 2 brief narrative summaries in history, science or literature. The student is also writing about literature once a week and this is in addition to/different from the narrative summaries. She calls this a "literary essay". TWTM will lay down some of the details of this for you and give you the questions you need. Basically, you use the list of questions she's provided. Pull out 1 or 2 of those. The kid answers and writes it down. You're not looking for a well developed analysis at this point. She lets 5th graders type :001_smile:.

I honestly think it's worth the few dollars and the two hours to listen to the first 2 writing seminars. They are here. You'll want to listen to A Plan for Teaching Writing: Elementary Grades as well as the Middle Grades one. You should also beg, borrow or steal :D (not really) a copy of TWTM if you don't have one. It has a ton of very helpful "stuff" for writing at every level. I will listen to that Middle Grades lecture soon. I have to watch the last couple of PR@ dvds tonight. I am also working through WTM during our book basket time and any other time I can find to read. After 10 years, I should have this figured out....right? But alas, I am still learning to teach. College was so much less stressful.

I don't know what books you are reading or that your son is reading. If you are asking him to narrate to you then perhaps you should work with him on the written narrative summaries twice a week. These are 4-5 sentences long. You could also look into the "literary essay" and see if perhaps you could try one with him based on something he is reading :001_smile:. It doesn't sound like he's ready to jump into 1 level outlines yet. . . not sure when that is learned in PR though.

I am unclear on this as well. He did the type of outlining I described above in twice in PR2. Once, she then had them use the outline to write paragraphs, but again, all of these sentences were laid out for them to organize into the outline. I have looked at the S&S for the next two levels of PR and did not see outlining again. Maybe I missed it? This was one particular skill I wanted to work on during our "filler" time before starting PR3.

:001_smile::001_smile: Other than my summary of SWB's recommendations (which are fleshed out beautifully for you by her - you really should listen) I am completely inexperienced with any of this. I am only making suggestions about what I'd try based upon what I am learning from my Writing Teacher Hero :001_smile:. It is all shared in total humility and I'm very open to correction as well....

I have been very satisfied with how far he has come by accelerating through PR 1 & 2. He went from complaining when asked to write a few sentences for a narration in HOD, to easily writing three or four on our MFW notebook pages. (That had nothing to do with either program, we just switched to PR at the same time we started MFW. He didn't have the skills when we were using HOD due to my lack of teaching.) He also used to use run sentences and horrible grammar. That has gotten SO MUCH BETTER! PR has taught me how to teach. I have also been reading SWB's writings so that I will understand more about the writing process. So far, I do not see a contradiction between PR and SWB. I will use SWB's materials as evaluation tools and helps to bring my kids up to speed. PR will remain our primary tool until we complete all four levels. After that, WWS, Writing Strands, or who knows?????

Sandi,

If you want to work on outlining specifically (and perhaps you should since he's in 5th?!) then SWB recommends Notetaking & Outlining available at schoolspecialtypublishing.com She may have more details about that in TWTM. I just scribbled that down in my lecture notes. The name Remedia rings a bell as well but I don't know why. Maybe Remedia Outlining??

I think you're doing a great job. :001_smile: I am honestly going through the ringer trying to decide if I should stay tight with HOD which actually does an amazing job of working on TWTM skills every day if the guide is used to the fullest. OR, go it on my own and take each subject separately.

:grouphug: to you. The Lord knows you have been through a lot this past decade. You are really finding your groove now and your oldest is blossoming!! That is a huge praise!

I am glad to hear that PR is teaching you how to teach. :001_smile: Thanks for sharing that you think PR and WTM skills seem to mesh well.

Sandi,

I forgot to mention that SWB does want your kiddo to be able to hold the info. in his head and then get the words on paper. She works on that in WWE. So, in essence, he should be remembering the entire passage he's about to write down. That is, however, a goal to be worked toward and doesn't look that perfect for every kid.

Have you looked at Peace Hill Press' you tube videos? There is a video where SWB does a dictation lesson with her son. He might be 11 but I'm not sure. She gives a real life demo. of what it's really like doing dictation. It may encourage you and give you some pointers.

If I can get to it later I'll look for the link but if you search for Peace Hill Press on youtube you're bound to find SWB doing dictation with her son.

I'm focused on writing right now for my kids. I'm just re-reading WTM and have been looking over PR and CW Aesop to make sure we are in check, so this is a timely discussion for me! I'm just taking notes and scribbles trying to make sure we nail this. In PR, the writing doesn't seem as straightforward as I would like. There are no narrations to speak of, and I struggle to understand how you can have WTM/CW writing without narrations? One more thing is summary skills, these are very important (to my knowledge) in regards to WTM and CW. I don't see much of these ahead in PR. I've been going through the S&S this week and watching the online samples, but really struggle with finding these two very important things.

I love PR and am not at a tipping point, but I just want to make sure we get this right and I don't have to reteach. If I have to overemphasis and tweak some things along the way, I will. My plans are to use WTM or CW Homer when we finish PR. I'm hoping some veterans can come rescue my thoughts! :bigear:

I'm focused on writing right now for my kids. I'm just re-reading WTM and have been looking over PR and CW Aesop to make sure we are in check, so this is a timely discussion for me! I'm just taking notes and scribbles trying to make sure we nail this. In PR, the writing doesn't seem as straightforward as I would like. There are no narrations to speak of, and I struggle to understand how you can have WTM/CW writing without narrations? One more thing is summary skills, these are very important (to my knowledge) in regards to WTM and CW. I don't see much of these ahead in PR. I've been going through the S&S this week and watching the online samples, but really struggle with finding these two very important things.

I love PR and am not at a tipping point, but I just want to make sure we get this right and I don't have to reteach. If I have to overemphasis and tweak some things along the way, I will. My plans are to use WTM or CW Homer when we finish PR. I'm hoping some veterans can come rescue my thoughts! :bigear:

Melissa,

Thanks for your input. Admittedly, though PR is a strong program, it was my impression that it wasn't really the same approach that SWB takes. I need to understand the big picture or I can't commit....And I agree about narration. It has been mentioned as including narration but I never saw it. Not necessarily a "criticism" but just an important observation. Still great spelling though :D. Summary skills are very important to SWB. You can lay down a nice writing S&S if you listen to her writing seminars and read TWTM. I have been taking notes like crazy and writing a grade by grade check list. Blah!!

Why is VP history in your siggy and not TOG?? Totally off topic but please share...I've had a rollicking good time talking VP with some lovely and inspiring ladies who take VP and use it their way with AO!!!! Awesome stuff. You should read this thread right here. Please share.:001_smile: New Testament/Greece&Rome is looking good again ...

This is just the kind of thread I've been wanting to start myself, so thank you! I'm really interested to hear whether the upper levels of PR get around to more outlining and whether there's much focus on summarizing and narrating. DD stinks at that right now. She can't keep the details in her mind long enough to tell me anything of worth - either that or she just doesn't want to summarize.:tongue_smilie:She'll be 7 next month, so that's probably normal for many kids, but I'm not sure how to get her past this hurdle. I don't know if she'll just grow into those abilities or I really need to teach her those skills, but if I need to teach those skills, I would like some hand-holding.

Melissa,

Thanks for your input. Admittedly, though PR is a strong program, it was my impression that it wasn't really the same approach that SWB takes. I need to understand the big picture or I can't commit....And I agree about narration. It has been mentioned as including narration but I never saw it. Not necessarily a "criticism" but just an important observation. Still great spelling though :D. Summary skills are very important to SWB. You can lay down a nice writing S&S if you listen to her writing seminars and read TWTM. I have been taking notes like crazy and writing a grade by grade check list. Blah!!

Yep, I'm still trying to reconcile all this too. I don't know why I have such a block on writing with PR. I've even called and talked to her in person and I still stay thick-headed. My son is doing great with the dictation and I've been very happy with part of the program.

Why is VP history in your siggy and not TOG?? Totally off topic but please share...I've had a rollicking good time talking VP with some lovely and inspiring ladies who take VP and use it their way with AO!!!! Awesome stuff. You should read this thread right here. Please share.:001_smile: New Testament/Greece&Rome is looking good again ...

Oh my goodness! I just emailed you about it all. I really enjoyed your posts on the VP stuff. Most of it is a circumstance change. I really like TOG, it is really awesome, and a solid choice for the grammar years, especially when *mom* wants to learn too! We are moving soon and a new job can do wonders to the homeschool budget ;). I've just never been able to afford the self-paced classes and my son really enjoyed them, but we will do them in the fall for the 2 oldest. I'll also have a few more responsibilities per week and need to be able to tend to those. Otherwise, I probably would have stayed with TOG. Also, I just know my kids were rock solid on their facts about history this year with VP, and I want to continue that, plus you know I love, love, love AO and will be using it too. So VP self-paced history will combine nicely with AO. It will largely take the burden off me for history, I'd still like to read the card together once a week and do some RA's, etc. But it will be no-pressure and fun for me, because if we don't get to it, they have still learned a lot. Thanks for the thread link...going to check it out now. :auto:

Hi, ya'll. I don't have time to respond at the moment, but I'll say this and come back later tonight (basketball after dinner tonight).

PR does have some full on dictation...paragraph length in the end of 2, beginning of 3 and then moreso.

Outlining is worked on further in 3, so no need to master it now if you're moving forward. You'll do some key word outlines, too.

There is no narration directly, but you are supposed to talk about the literature reading. I have found when I read aloud for the week, after they've read the story aloud to me, we end up having some great talks. I could make them narrations, but choose otherwise.

I'll come to the using PR across the board later. It's great!

I'd say, Katrina, from your posts about what SWB says, PR will have them more advanced by the end of level 4. They will be able to take notes, outline or organize them otherwise, and then put them into an essay of 3-5 paragraphs. It remains gentle and offers much practice to get there.

More this evening!

A post worthy of blogging :) It's about time I spell this one out! Below are links to my blog where I have typed up some moch lessons and made links to PR posts where I learned how to do these things. Remember, the whole point is to apply what you learn in PR across the board. In fact, it's the point of all writing programs --- effective communication! PLEASE! Keep the questions coming. I want to know that I'm clear and if I'm not, I'd like to remedy that.

Activity 1 keyword outlining, sentence writing, paragraph writing, narration, dictation Keep in mind, you can function out the same sort of activity also using Venn Diagram, Cluster Diagram, etc. both of which are used in PR.

Activity 2 remodeling

Activity 3 using grammar studies and examples in literature to create descriptive writing

Activity 4 Using narration as a springboard to writing

All of the skills displayed as teacher, are taught in PR through the DVDs, so I get a TON of teacher training. I have also found, that once I learn how to do this in the upper levels, it is easily carried over to the younger students (PR3 hits descriptive writing, but I started encouraging it in level 2 b/c I had the teacher's skill set). A mention of this here, a mention of that there...it's sticking and my little guys are writing really well! They totally understand what we're talking about and we're using the tools in the CM/classical educators tool box: copywork, narration, dictation, graphic organizers.

Katrina,

Have you read the WWE text? I think the text is the most important part of WWE. The lectures give you a good overview, but the text really lays out the program. Once I read the text, I realized just how simple wwe is. Truly, I don't think it has to be an either or. SWB sets up an easy to implement pattern that can run alongside any element of your curriculum. It also coordinates the crossover to grammar, which is only really valuable if you are doing FLL on pace with WWE. Frankly, the wwe workbooks don't do a great job of following the guidelines.

Here's the deal. Homeschoolers complicate things. I think it is because we are constantly swimming in new waters. Every year, I'm teaching something that I have never had to teach before. Instead of seeing the simplest way from point A to B, I'm scaling mountains and dragging my kids behind me. What SWB does with the WWE text is hand you the framework. Even with that, we moms can be overwhelmed. So we look to the workbooks, which make all of the decisions for us. At some point in WWE1 (workbook), I realized that this is really easy. Really. I can do this with any passage that we read. There is no special passage choosing magic going on here. I am over complicating this. The workbook is truly unnecessary. I fold the WWE patterns into our MFW day. Currently my youngest's pattern is copywork, narration, copywork, nar/copy. My 8yo's is nar, copy, dict, nar/dict. I follow SWB's length recommendations, focus on whatever grammar we are currently learning, and choose a passage from whatever we are currently reading. Done.

As for PR, it similarly simplifies things that I would overcomplicate. Paragraph writing, for example. I wouldn't know where to start. Then Mrs. Beers tells me a few questions to ask, put them all together, indent and voila! That seriously couldn't have been any easier. My kids are already fantastic at answering questions in full sentences because of WWE, so it was painless.

I don't think PR and SWB approach writing the same way, but there is some overlap. They are both classical, so narration, copywork and dictation are present in both, but with different emphasis. I want what both offer and being intimately acquainted with the WWE approach allows me to inject those elements wherever they fit into our day, without running a whole other writing program. WWE is a philosophy above all else. I think the "program" exists to hold our hands, but not because it is needed to accomplish the method. Outline writing is a logic stage skill that even swb doesn't emphasize in the grammar stage. The way PR handles outlining is sufficient, IMO.

So there's my 2 cents. I've got to wrap it up and go teach some kids!

Katrina,

Have you read the WWE text? I think the text is the most important part of WWE. The lectures give you a good overview, but the text really lays out the program. Once I read the text, I realized just how simple wwe is. Truly, I don't think it has to be an either or. SWB sets up an easy to implement pattern that can run alongside any element of your curriculum. It also coordinates the crossover to grammar, which is only really valuable if you are doing FLL on pace with WWE. Frankly, the wwe workbooks don't do a great job of following the guidelines.

Here's the deal. Homeschoolers complicate things. I think it is because we are constantly swimming in new waters. Every year, I'm teaching something that I have never had to teach before. Instead of seeing the simplest way from point A to B, I'm scaling mountains and dragging my kids behind me. What SWB does with the WWE text is hand you the framework. Even with that, we moms can be overwhelmed. So we look to the workbooks, which make all of the decisions for us. At some point in WWE1 (workbook), I realized that this is really easy. Really. I can do this with any passage that we read. There is no special passage choosing magic going on here. I am over complicating this. The workbook is truly unnecessary. I fold the WWE patterns into our MFW day. Currently my youngest's pattern is copywork, narration, copywork, nar/copy. My 8yo's is nar, copy, dict, nar/dict. I follow SWB's length recommendations, focus on whatever grammar we are currently learning, and choose a passage from whatever we are currently reading. Done.

As for PR, it similarly simplifies things that I would overcomplicate. Paragraph writing, for example. I wouldn't know where to start. Then Mrs. Beers tells me a few questions to ask, put them all together, indent and voila! That seriously couldn't have been any easier. My kids are already fantastic at answering questions in full sentences because of WWE, so it was painless.

I don't think PR and SWB approach writing the same way, but there is some overlap. They are both classical, so narration, copywork and dictation are present in both, but with different emphasis. I want what both offer and being intimately acquainted with the WWE approach allows me to inject those elements wherever they fit into our day, without running a whole other writing program. WWE is a philosophy above all else. I think the "program" exists to hold our hands, but not because it is needed to accomplish the method. Outline writing is a logic stage skill that even swb doesn't emphasize in the grammar stage. The way PR handles outlining is sufficient, IMO.

So there's my 2 cents. I've got to wrap it up and go teach some kids!

Shannon,

This is immensely helpful and full of wisdom. I'll pull out my WWE hardback and re-read. Gosh, it sure takes a lot of "over and over" to get everything nailed down!!

We're heading out for a walk :001_smile:.

A post worthy of blogging :) It's about time I spell this one out! Below are links to my blog where I have typed up some moch lessons and made links to PR posts where I learned how to do these things. Remember, the whole point is to apply what you learn in PR across the board. In fact, it's the point of all writing programs --- effective communication! PLEASE! Keep the questions coming. I want to know that I'm clear and if I'm not, I'd like to remedy that.

Activity 1 keyword outlining, sentence writing, paragraph writing, narration, dictation Keep in mind, you can function out the same sort of activity also using Venn Diagram, Cluster Diagram, etc. both of which are used in PR.

Activity 2 remodeling

Activity 3 using grammar studies and examples in literature to create descriptive writing

All of the skills displayed as teacher, are taught in PR through the DVDs, so I get a TON of teacher training. I have also found, that once I learn how to do this in the upper levels, it is easily carried over to the younger students (PR3 hits descriptive writing, but I started encouraging it in level 2 b/c I had the teacher's skill set). A mention of this here, a mention of that there...it's sticking and my little guys are writing really well! They totally understand what we're talking about and we're using the tools in the CM/classical educators tool box: copywork, narration, dictation, graphic organizers.

Tina,

Good stuff here! I'll spend more time with it later (after our walk :001_smile:). I have PR 1 and 2 in the cart but I'm nervous to check out! The prices have gone up on Schola's site by $15 per level! Ack. Rainbow Resource is still $199 and I think the shipping is free....I'll likely have to use that in order to do this..... I am super bummed about the price increase or I'd go ahead with Schola's. But adding the shipping to the price increase makes the whole shebang a good $50-$60 more to buy from Schola (for 2 levels). Very very disappointing..... my budget is rapidly being depleted and every $ counts. I have a lot I need this go around! Considering that I just sold 3 levels of PR for that price it makes me ill....

There is a PR 1 up for auction on ebay. It ends tomorrow. You could at least save a little money if you win it. BTW, I have PR 1 back in my hands.:D Boy! I sure do hope I have learned to sit on things longer the next time I get the urge to sell something. ;)

Tina,

Good stuff here! I'll spend more time with it later (after our walk :001_smile:). I have PR 1 and 2 in the cart but I'm nervous to check out! The prices have gone up on Schola's site by $15 per level! Ack. Rainbow Resource is still $199 and I think the shipping is free....I'll likely have to use that in order to do this..... I am super bummed about the price increase or I'd go ahead with Schola's. But adding the shipping to the price increase makes the whole shebang a good $50-$60 more to buy from Schola (for 2 levels). Very very disappointing..... my budget is rapidly being depleted and every $ counts. I have a lot I need this go around! Considering that I just sold 3 levels of PR for that price it makes me ill....

Activity 2 remodeling

Can you give me a general timeline of when these skills are introduced? We're about 1/3 of the way through PR1. So far it's just a spelling program for us, and I am feeling like I'm following it blindly with no idea of what is coming up next. I talked with Mrs. Beers at a convention last month, but I couldn't phrase any specific questions that would yield helpful answers about where the program is going.

There is a PR 1 up for auction on ebay. It ends tomorrow. You could at least save a little money if you win it. BTW, I have PR 1 back in my hands.:D Boy! I sure do hope I have learned to sit on things longer the next time I get the urge to sell something. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly, I am leery of buying used unless I know the buyer. I bought a used PR 1 and wasn't happy with the condition it was in for what I paid.....Now that I know what new is like I'm spoiled :001_smile:. I'm "this" close to buying...... Am I ready to commit.....again?!

Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly, I am leery of buying used unless I know the buyer. I bought a used PR 1 and wasn't happy with the condition it was in for what I paid.....Now that I know what new is like I'm spoiled :001_smile:. I'm "this" close to buying...... Am I ready to commit.....again?!

I totally understand. I, fortunately, just bought a copy from somebody who bought it new and never used it. I got a really good deal on it. It came to me still in the original packaging.

Activity 2 remodeling

Thanks Tina. I looked over these briefly, but will look at them more tonight. It looks like PR3 is where we really start to develop more writing skills.

I have looked over the literature study in PR2 and will make a list of some of the skills that I can start implementing now. I wish it was all set up and scheduled for me, but I am growing to like some planning. I will look through our MFW studies for the next few weeks and plan some lessons that apply the skills he has learned so far.

Can you give me a general timeline of when these skills are introduced? We're about 1/3 of the way through PR1. So far it's just a spelling program for us, and I am feeling like I'm following it blindly with no idea of what is coming up next. I talked with Mrs. Beers at a convention last month, but I couldn't phrase any specific questions that would yield helpful answers about where the program is going.

I don't have PR3 yet, but the literature study in PRs works on literary skills (plot, summary, characters, etc.) and grammar (capitals, commas, etc.), plus these skills that I would consider specific to writing:

how to write a title

lots of dictation

structure of a paragraph

organizing an outline with preselected headings and sentences

summarizing

writing from an outline

listing the steps of a process

Venn diagram

character sketch

PR1 is mostly a spelling program. Your student will start constructing original sentences with spelling words in week 15. You will also start some grammar towards the end of the level. Grammar REALLY picks up in PR2. The Little House study includes grammar, literary analysis, the writing skills I listed, and more. I really started to see the value of this curriculum with level 2. It looks like level 3 is going to take us even farther. I can't wait!

I don't have PR3 yet, but the literature study in PRs works on literary skills (plot, summary, characters, etc.) and grammar (capitals, commas, etc.), plus these skills that I would consider specific to writing:

how to write a title

lots of dictation

structure of a paragraph

organizing an outline with preselected headings and sentences

summarizing

writing from an outline

listing the steps of a process

Venn diagram

character sketch

PR1 is mostly a spelling program. Your student will start constructing original sentences with spelling words in week 15. You will also start some grammar towards the end of the level. Grammar REALLY picks up in PR2. The Little House study includes grammar, literary analysis, the writing skills I listed, and more. I really started to see the value of this curriculum with level 2. It looks like level 3 is going to take us even farther. I can't wait!

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of list I was looking for.

I decided to start my oldest in PR1 because I didn't like the spelling program she was using. Does the spelling continue through all the levels? I don't feel like I need any more grammar for her right now. Some of the writing instruction might be helpful for her, but I already have R&S and CW for her to use next year. :blush: Do you think I could continue to use PR as a spelling program for her? Do the spelling words get challenging enough that it would make sense to be using them with a 5th grader?

I know it's awfully expensive to be a spelling program, but I'm gonna be buying it for my boys anyways... Or maybe I ought to hold off on those and take her through all the levels of PR... I don't even want to admit to the number of writing programs I've bought recently. I wish there was a homeschooling library where I could check out all these programs and spend a few weeks with them before I decide whether or not to buy.

Right now we are doing PR with FFL and WWE.

We started out late and are accelerating through.

Dd9 and ds11 just finished PR1 and will be starting PR2 next week. We were suppose to start this week but our family was hit with tummy virus and ear infections. :(

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of list I was looking for.

I decided to start my oldest in PR1 because I didn't like the spelling program she was using. Does the spelling continue through all the levels? I don't feel like I need any more grammar for her right now. Some of the writing instruction might be helpful for her, but I already have R&S and CW for her to use next year. :blush: Do you think I could continue to use PR as a spelling program for her? Do the spelling words get challenging enough that it would make sense to be using them with a 5th grader?

I know it's awfully expensive to be a spelling program, but I'm gonna be buying it for my boys anyways... Or maybe I ought to hold off on those and take her through all the levels of PR... I don't even want to admit to the number of writing programs I've bought recently. I wish there was a homeschooling library where I could check out all these programs and spend a few weeks with them before I decide whether or not to buy.

The spelling does pick up. For 5th, level 2 has still been slightly easy for ds, but he seems to have memorized most words my sight.....I have battled this for years. The spelling does go through all four levels.

If you stick with PR, I would just continue it for grammar. My ds has done a couple of other grammar programs, including R&S for a short time, it never stuck. He could never apply it. Now, he learns a part of speech, then every week you dictate sentences and they mark them. So, each part of speech is reviewed every week by applying the markings (parsing) to the sentences. This has made it stick in his head.

I forgot to mention further up, that you can see the entire scope and sequence for all levels on the website. That will help you to see how the writing plays out in levels 3 & 4. I printed them all out to study!