Menu

How I came to spend my day at a local public school, and what I observed....

We had speech evals today. Four hours of speech evals. :glare:

The therapist doing the evals was so wonderful. While she would work with one child she would find places for me to sit with the other. I got to be a fly on the wall. It was interesting.

We started out in the resource room. While we were in the resource room we got to watch kids come and go to see the dental hygienist. Every child who brought back a permission slip from home got a check up, cleaning and sealants for free. I chatted with the hygienist and she explained that it takes two years to go through all the schools in the system, so these children recieve this care every two years. I thought that was kind of nice. Few people have dental insurance, so while this does not take the place of a dentist, it can provide preventative care for families who cannot afford it.

Then we were moved to the library. There was "class" in the library that consisted of the librarian showing the kids a Reading Rainbow video and yelling at them the whole time it played. When one class would finish and move on, another one would come in and watch the video while the librarian yelled at them to be still. WHILE this was going on, loudly, there were two teachers who were working one-on-one with struggling readers. The video was booming, the librarian was yelling at kids, and meanwhile these children were supposed to be able to focus on their reading aloud. It was madness. Sheer madness. I felt myself developing ADHD just sitting in there.

It really reaffirms the decision to homeschool doesn't it? I has a somewhat similar experience last year when Dd was still going to kindergarten at ps. I was volunteering for the bookfair. The library aide put on a Disney video and screamed at the kids if they moved or talked while she and the librarian surfed the web researching new cars. Its shocking to see adults treat children that way.

It really reaffirms the decision to homeschool doesn't it? I has a somewhat similar experience last year when Dd was still going to kindergarten at ps. I was volunteering for the bookfair. The library aide put on a Disney video and screamed at the kids if they moved or talked while she and the librarian surfed the web researching new cars. Its shocking to see adults treat children that way.

The librarian was really focused on the kids, but this was like 1:30 in the afternoon. These kids had been in school since...whatever time they start...that morning. These were 1st and 2nd graders. What 1st or 2nd grader would not get fidgety under those circumstances?

And I felt so sorry for those two reading teachers and their students. A strong reader could not focus under those circumstances, expecting that from a struggling reader is just too much.

Are you sure it was a certified librarian or an aide? Certified school librarians have teaching certificates plus a masters degree in library science. Unfortunately, many schools, particularly large districts will have one librarian over five or six elementary schools and then staff each library with simply an aide who isn't trained to really engage the students in any substantive kind of way. A true professional school librarian would not engage in what you described.

Are you sure it was a certified librarian or an aide? Certified school librarians have teaching certificates plus a masters degree in library science. Unfortunately, many schools, particularly large districts will have one librarian over five or six elementary schools and then staff each library with simply an aide who isn't trained to really engage the students in any substantive kind of way. A true professional school librarian would not engage in what you described.

She was in charge of the entire library for this school. I know this because in between classes I overheard conversations about record keeping details that made it obvious that she was the head honcho. Now I don't know her degree, but she seemed like a librarian. She seemed like a very burned out librarian. Perhaps she would have prefered to work with a less wiggly age group?

I asked my daughter, who spent one semester in a public school during 4th grade, what her experience in this system had been. She said the librarian at the school she attended read to them and then guided them in book selections. She was very hands-on.

I guess it depends on the person?