Menu

Eating better...any suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn in OH viewpost.gif

Oatmeal is one of the best breakfast foods. It's high in complex carbs and is also packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber. Oatmeal is digested slowly and will give you a steady supply of energy going into the afternoon hours.

You can eat only oatmeal for breakfast?

Rosie

Me? Hell no. I don't eat oatmeal unless it's a cookie. I think oatmeal is repulsive. I don't like the flavor, the texture, or the smell.

I eat a high protein breakfast. I function best on high-protein and low carbs. I get most of my carbs from fruit and vegetables. I seriously limit my bread, pasta, potato, and rice intake.

The OP asked where else she could get carb sources from and oatmeal was one of my recommendations.

I also recommend Spark People. They will create a menu for you, and you can request a low-carb menu.

About the cranberry juice: I use cranberry pills from the health food store. Then, I don't have to waste calories on the juice, and I always have it on hand. It's also cheaper than buying a bunch of 'pure and healthy' juice.

The OP asked where else she could get carb sources from and oatmeal was one of my recommendations.

I just wondered because oatmeal sure doesn't give me energy into the afternoon. It makes me feel sluggish about 5 mins after I eat it (if that was I am eating) and hungry 20mins later. I couldn't imagine anyone eating it for breakfast and the energy lasting long enough that they wouldn't notice they hadn't had lunch yet!

Rosie

I just wondered because oatmeal sure doesn't give me energy into the afternoon. It makes me feel sluggish about 5 mins after I eat it (if that was I am eating) and hungry 20mins later. I couldn't imagine anyone eating it for breakfast and the energy lasting long enough that they wouldn't notice they hadn't had lunch yet!

Rosie

I have that reaction to pancakes. While I love the taste, especially blueberry pancakes, I get full quickly, feel tired and sluggish, and I'm hungry again in 20 minutes. I have to have eggs and sausage with my pancakes.

But "they" say that oatmeal is supposed to be fulling, nutritious, and sticks with you.

I did low carb and started making sure I was still hungry before taking seconds, and I was surprised at how easy it was to lose weight. I didn't deprive myself and wasn't hungry. I thought I'd never be able to stop drinking sweet tea, but now I drink lots of water with lime and don't even miss tea (too much). I made changes that I can sustain for a healthier lifestyle rather than a "diet."

I eat a lot of salads as meals, but I always include a protein such as grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs, salmon, or tuna.

I eat red meat and will never give it up, but I eat a healthy portion size. When we have a traditional meal (meat, starch, veggies), I eat a lot of veggies and make the starch the smallest part of the meal.

I don't eat low-fat anything. Fats trigger the full response in the brain and I don't think there's anything unhealthy about them in moderation.

Some books I really like are The Belly Fat Cure and Real Food: What to Eat and Why.

Rosie

Oh, that's interesting. I'll add some raisins or cranberries and nuts to my oatmeal and I stay full for hours. It's an effective pick-me-up when I need something quick and easy.

Get the actual numbers. Depending what kind of doctor you see, one might tell you that your thyroid is fine, when you are end the very edge of the "fine" spectrum. Another doctor who specializes in the area, may not feel that you are "fine".

And as Parrothead said, make sure the doctor is checking for Hashimoto's antibodies instead of just going by TSH levels.

You can have clinical symptoms of low thyroid for years and years before it shows up in your bloodwork. One of my sisters convinced her dr to let her do a trial run on thyroid meds to see if it helped her symptoms, for ex she was sleeping all the time when she wasn't at work. The medicine did help, so she stayed on it. Just something to be aware of when you see the doctor.

Oh, that's interesting. I'll add some raisins or cranberries and nuts to my oatmeal and I stay full for hours. It's an effective pick-me-up when I need something quick and easy.

The only way I can eat oatmeal (or pancakes, or any other grain) in the mornings is with a healthy side of legumes! The Scots were onto something with their pottages. Dh refuses to eat curry soup and oatmeal, but I don't mind it.

It really does sound gross though, doesn't it?

:lol:

Rosie

For exercise, get a rebounder!

:iagree:

General guidelines to start figuring it out:

~If you eat your meal and feel sluggish, you are eating too many grains, so cut back.

~If you are eating a huge bowl full and still prowling around wondering why you want to eat, you probably need more fat.

~If you feel fine after eating, but are back in the kitchen in less than two hours, you need more protein.

If you are back in the kitchen two or three hours afterwards, you probably have your portions right. If a small snack like a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a double handful of popcorn satisfies you, all is well. If you eat fruit, a sandwich and start thinking about popcorn, consider it a slap on the wrist for not eating a proper breakfast.

Rosie

This is very interesting. Copying, pasting, and will be reading this info. Thanks for sharing, Rosie. :grouphug:

Eliminate HFCS

Eliminate HFCS

Elim...well, I'm sure you heard me. :)

Weight will come off. Then the cravings will wane noticably, and more weight will come off.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Pretty much everything that everyone has said so far.

My favorite book (and to me, if most people followed it, most would get healthier and lose weight) is Food Rules. I keep telling myself to make a plan and just focus on one new rule each week or each month or whatever, until it becomes a habit.

414UgY9NlsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am at the point where if any food touches my mouth it sets of binging for the day. I have been doing intermittant fasting for two days. So far, it's working. I sacrifice breakfast and lunch and have only been eating dinner

Apparently this is one of the worst things you can do for weight loss, as it sends the message to your body that you are in starvation mode so your metabolism slows down and reserves fat.

Anecdotal story... My Mom was just telling me about her friend who lost 50 lbs when her doctor told her to start eating breakfast. She had been putting off eating for most of the day her entire life. Switching to breakfast within an hour of waking up, and no other drastic changes in her diet (which was apparently reasonable enough) led to her desired weight loss.

Re: Oatmeal... I put almond flour, coconut oil and chia seeds in ours so that it's more filling and nutrient dense. For the kids, I also add cocoa powder. They gobble it up! (We use organic quick oats with a little honey to sweeten.)