Menu

Question for parents who use immersion for foreign language

kristinannie

I speak German conversationally. My grammar is pretty good, but I need work on my vocab (which I am working on) to be fluent. I was going to start using German more in everyday life to get the kids exposed to it. Do I just speak German (like say, "I am doing the dishes" or "It is sunny outside.") or do I say the German and then translate it to English? Any hints on the best way to do this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

:bigear:

I'll disagree - translate - but only for a few weeks. I started when my kids were 4.5, 2, and infant. I could NOT have kept it up if I hadn't translated because I couldn't have disciplined my children without knowing for sure they understood and I didn't feel that my children at that age could go for a month without discipline.

I also would have missed out on relationship with my children at that time and probably given up. Imagine not being able to understand your spouse even for three weeks. It would be pretty terrible.

They'll catch on pretty fast. Phrases like "use the potty" and "go sit down" will be learned before you know it.

Encourage them to reply - translate their replies and have them repeat after you.

If you aren't 100% fluent, an All-Or-Nothing attitude can quickly lead to failure. Just start. Something is better than nothing. Aim for more. But don't shoot yourself in the foot by only accepting perfection.

HTH,

Emily

(whose children, at 6, 4, and 2 can understand almost all German and speak some)

I do a little bit of that with the German that I know. I'll work it into the conversation here and there. I combine the German with English. For instance I may say "it is cold" in German 3 times, 1 time in English, and then in German again. They are able to catch on to what I am doing this way.

I don't do complete immersion (my French isn't quite to that level yet!) but I do say as much as I can in French, including having "fake" conversations with DD where we pretend to meet each other, etc.

I translate unless I can make it clear using body language. For example, if I'm saying "Apportez-moi la tasse" (Bring me the cup) I'll use very exaggerated motions and look like a crazy woman pointing to the cup and waving her over. :D If I'm saying something like, "Aujourd'hui, nous allons au parc" (Today we are going to the park), I'll generally translate, because there's no way she'll get that otherwise. (And of course, follow up by saying something along the lines of Nous sommes dans le parc (We are at the park) when we get there so she hears it again.

I agree with Emily, some is better than none, and it could get very frustrating for the children not to understand anything. I know I spend 3 hours a week confused in my Spanish class and it is the most frustrating thing ever, and doesn't leave me *wanting* to learn Spanish.. in fact, it makes me want to avoid it at all costs!!

I think it'll help if you read books they know very well already, the 3 little pigs etc. My in-laws have spoken only Greek to my son. They don't read to him much (i'm trying to change that) but I got them started with stories he loved in English. They translate some words in the books but not so much it interrupts the flow of the book.