Menu

Life skills

The guide I use is this: What life skills do my dh and I use regularly? The kids learn those regardless of gender.

:iagree:

Our kids are involved in daily life. They learn to cook, clean, do household chores and yard work with us.

They learn to manage their finances - they get an allowance, have to budget, DD has a prepaid credit card. We discuss family finances as an ongoing process, budgeting, mortgages, car payments, investing, common mistakes.

They will both take a first aid course - that's the one thing I will outsource.

They learn to pack a bag for an overnight and a four week trip.

They learn to read maps, plan routes, make a fire, rappel off a cliff...

Basically, they learn life skills by living in our family and doing all these things while still under parental supervision.

I do have the Lukes Life List it is very comprehensive.....I just don't have the time to go through all of it.

I was just wondering if anyone had a list they use as a guideline. My first has 1 year left before going off to school/life and I just want to make sure I have all bases covered.

She is bright and seems to be on top of things. Every once and a while she will do something that makes me nervous and I think " I gotta remember to teach her that". I guess you are never really prepared for them to go.