Menu

HOD What denomination? & LA ?

I have been trying to get the website for HOD to come up so I can find out this, but it isn't working for some reason. Something tells me it is my computer and not the site itself since my computer is a dinosour.

Anyhow, can anyone answer this question for me?

Another question: Is everything combined except for math and reading? Is the LA portion combined?

What do you mean by combined? The math, and Reading can easily be replaced. You could also subbstitute the R&S grammar and spelling/dictation if you wanted but the rest of the LA is incorporated throughout the program. As far as denomination I have never seen any referenced. HOD feels very mainline Christian to me, and I feel like it could be adapted easily to your denominational beliefs.

What do you mean by combined? The math, and Reading can easily be replaced. You could also subbstitute the R&S grammar and spelling/dictation if you wanted but the rest of the LA is incorporated throughout the program. As far as denomination I have never seen any referenced. HOD feels very mainline Christian to me, and I feel like it could be adapted easily to your denominational beliefs.

I was actually hoping it was nondenominational.. so that is great! To clarify my question on the LA. If I was using Beyond with a 6 & 8 yr old, would they both be doing the same LA? From looking at the catalog it looks like they would only be doing seperate grade appropriate things in reading and math and then everything else is taught combined. Is this correct?

Guest RecumbentHeart

There is a strong Reformed protestant flavor that is most obvious in certain history choices (such as History for Little Pilgrims) and the overarching message of God's providence through history.

I forgot to mention that yes in the CLP books there is a Reformed slant, but that comes from CLP being Reformed not from HOD. It is a first grade text, so it is not that in depth, and is only one of 3 books. History for Little Pilgrims is used the least of the three texts, and you could easily skip a page if it bugged you. Really though most of it is mainly Bible History and US history. There is actually only one chapter on the reformation. The other CLP books in Beyond or not as obviously Reformed because they are actually reprints of classic books.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I forgot to mention that yes in the CLP books there is a Reformed slant, but that comes from CLP being Reformed not from HOD. It is a first grade text, so it is not that in depth, and is only one of 3 books. History for Little Pilgrims is used the least of the three texts, and you could easily skip a page if it bugged you. Really though most of it is mainly Bible History and US history. There is actually only one chapter on the reformation. The other CLP books in Beyond or not as obviously Reformed because they are actually reprints of classic books.

:lol: I got myself all sorts of confused for a bit after reading your post - all my own fault. When I read CLP I thought of the wrong company and was thinking - wait, I totally didn't know that book was published by Mennonites. I'm such a dork. It's Christian Liberty Press, not Christian Light Publications. I knew that. :tongue_smilie: A notably different doctrinal statement.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Sorry about that yes CLP, Christian Liberty Press is Reformed. Christian Light is Mennonite, but the abbreviation for that is CLE.

See, that has confused me in the past. I will be making a mental note of this. For ages I was thinking those were just two different companies (Christian Light P/E).

HOD schedules books by both Christian Liberty Press and Christian Light Education. We are not Reformed and we specifically teach our children the falsehood of that philosophy. We have used Preparing and Little Hearts, and some of Beyond Little Hearts. I also own Bigger Hearts and previously owned most of Creation to Christ. I am very sensitive to Reformed teachings and I have no problem with HOD's materials at all. They do not really teach Reformed doctrines. They do believe in the Sovereign God of the Bible, as I do, but they do not emphasize Reformed doctrines, atleast not to the extent that it should keep any mainline Christian from using it. However, I'm not Catholic, so I may see it a little differently if I were. I haven't seen or used the guide that covers the Middle Ages and am not familiar with all of the books in that program. I personally see nothing in the curriculum that would be offensive to Catholics or any other Christians, but, I may be missing something. I personally would have no issues using HOD and I am definately not a Reformed Christian, having been specifically called by God out of the influence of those teachings. I think Protestants who are not Reformed should have no problem using HOD (well, I'm not Protestant either but that's a whole 'nother thread :001_smile:).

Blessings!

LA in Beyond is copywork (daily), spelling (4 days a week) and light grammar (one day a week). They would do the same copywork and grammar, but there are 2 spelling lists in the appendix if your older needs more difficult words.

My oldest actually does the LA from the next guide up. So next year he will do most of Beyond with his brother, but then he will do dictation and R&S2 from the instructions in the Bigger guide. That is a better fit for him on the placement chart. For the most part, however, I keep them together.

Just another idea/option. HOD is so flexible!

Edited by mom24boys
Add in paragraphs.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I'm so thankful you chimed in Donna. :) Honestly, my impression that it being of that flavor was from the reviews I read from a few Roman Catholic families and it was mostly in regard to that one book (eta: I just remembered, it was also from Cathy Duffy's Review site, also just in regard to that book though). I haven't read up on anything else so I apologize to HOD if my comment was misrepresentative!

Additionally, this was very helpful information for us as we seek to glorify God and teach our children accurately through our homeschooling. :)

HOD schedules books by both Christian Liberty Press and Christian Light Education. We are not Reformed and we specifically teach our children the falsehood of that philosophy. We have used Preparing and Little Hearts, and some of Beyond Little Hearts. I also own Bigger Hearts and previously owned most of Creation to Christ. I am very sensitive to Reformed teachings and I have no problem with HOD's materials at all. They do not really teach Reformed doctrines. They do believe in the Sovereign God of the Bible, as I do, but they do not emphasize Reformed doctrines, atleast not to the extent that it should keep any mainline Christian from using it. However, I'm not Catholic, so I may see it a little differently if I were. I haven't seen or used the guide that covers the Middle Ages and am not familiar with all of the books in that program. I personally see nothing in the curriculum that would be offensive to Catholics or any other Christians, but, I may be missing something. I personally would have no issues using HOD and I am definately not a Reformed Christian, having been specifically called by God out of the influence of those teachings. I think Protestants who are not Reformed should have no problem using HOD (well, I'm not Protestant either but that's a whole 'nother thread :001_smile:).

Blessings!

Edited by RecumbentHeart

This thread has been very helpful to me. Thanks to all who answered. I am going to have to do some more research on this as I am not overly familiar with the reformation and if it is going to be presented to my children I need to know more about it to explain.

If anyone has any ideas on good reading in regards to this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Micah

HOD schedules books by both Christian Liberty Press and Christian Light Education.

I am wondering if you could share which books scheduled by HOD are from CLE. I own LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG & DITHOR and I haven't come across anything in those guides that is by CLE, unless I am missing something.

Thanks!

I am wondering if you could share which books scheduled by HOD are from CLE. I own LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG & DITHOR and I haven't come across anything in those guides that is by CLE, unless I am missing something.

Thanks!

She may be thinking about the two R&S wkbks that are used in LHFHG. CLE sells them too, so some thing they are CLE material.

Thanks!

Two off hand from Preparing are

Little Miriam of Galilee

Fountain of Life

We use HOD and I've not had any problems with any doctrines at all. I am not Reformed. The main idea of HOD is to bring us back to the Bible and get our answers for life there. Also before we started HOD I personally pm'd Carrie and asked about their stance on things. Just mentioning this because if you're really concerned, I found Carrie to be very honest. She wasn't trying to hide anything so I would just call, e-mail or pm them. HTH!:)

We use HOD and I've not had any problems with any doctrines at all. I am not Reformed. The main idea of HOD is to bring us back to the Bible and get our answers for life there. Also before we started HOD I personally pm'd Carrie and asked about their stance on things. Just mentioning this because if you're really concerned, I found Carrie to be very honest. She wasn't trying to hide anyhing so I would just call, e-mail or pm them. HTH!:)

Really! Great! I will email. I tried calling but they are closed this week.

I was actually hoping it was nondenominational.. so that is great! To clarify my question on the LA. If I was using Beyond with a 6 & 8 yr old, would they both be doing the same LA? From looking at the catalog it looks like they would only be doing seperate grade appropriate things in reading and math and then everything else is taught combined. Is this correct?

We are doing Beyond and I have an 8 yr. old and 6 yr. old combined in it. For my 8 yr old we are doing R & S English 2. That's what Carrie suggested I do. The once weekly English lessons are not enough for an 8 year old IMHO. I also do DITHOR with him whereas my dd does the ERS. The other area Carrie suggested I may want to up for the 8 yr old is Science. I have done that, but can tell you there are lots of mommas who don't when using Beyond. The Spelling in Beyond is for 1st and 2nd grade, so I did a separate spelling for ds as well. We use AAS, so not a big issue. If you want to use studied dictation though you'll want to get the Bigger manual if you don't have a separate spelling program. Of course you do math on the level your dc needs as well. HTH.:)

We are doing Beyond and I have an 8 yr. old and 6 yr. old combined in it. For my 8 yr old we are doing R & S English 2. That's what Carrie suggested I do. The once weekly English lessons are not enough for an 8 year old IMHO. I also do DITHOR with him whereas my dd does the ERS. The other area Carrie suggested I may want to up for the 8 yr old is Science. I have done that, but can tell you there are lots of mommas who don't when using Beyond. The Spelling in Beyond is for 1st and 2nd grade, so I did a separate spelling for ds as well. We use AAS, so not a big issue. If you want to use studied dictation though you'll want to get the Bigger manual if you don't have a separate spelling program. Of course you do math on the level your dc needs as well. HTH.:)

Can I ask why R&S english 2 & not 3? Could I continue using PLL? Or is the LA in HOD tied in like a unit study? Does your son like DITHR?

Can I ask why R&S english 2 & not 3? Could I continue using PLL? Or is the LA in HOD tied in like a unit study? Does your son like DITHR?

Oh, sorry about not explaining the English thing.

Here's a quote from HOD on the English: "We are delighted to recommend Preparing to Build: English 2 as an excellent first grammar and writing text. This study in English is a perfect follow-up to the grammar lessons in Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. It is also a wonderful introduction to grammar for students who have had little formal grammar instruction. Short, daily lessons provide a solid foundation in learning grammar for the purpose of writing. The lessons are easy-to-use, sequential, and very comprehensive."

Another quote: "

Since English 3 is significantly more advanced than English 2, we recommend students in grades 2-4 to go through English 2 first. The English 2 text can be used to teach multiple students in grades 2-4 at the same time. If your students have previously used an advanced program such as ABeka Grammar, you may have them go into English 3 instead.

I did English 2 with ds (who is currently in third) because he'd never had a formal grammar program before. I used his his spelling words (grammar with SWR) as his grammar. Your dc may be ready for Level 3. That would definitely be something to ask Carrie about as well as I'm not sure about the rigor of PLL. I have English 3 on my shelf now for next year and it's definitely a good step up from level 2. I'm glad that I did level 2 first.

You can use your own English program with HOD. It is not tied together like a unit study. PLL is Primary Language Lessons, right? To use that it may be a little repetitive because HOD is going to cover poetry, copywork, dictation, etc. R & S is just nouns, verbs, adj., adv., etc. Does that make sense what I'm trying to say? I hope so. If you love PLL, you could definitely stick with it and still use HOD. That's one of the great things about HOD.

Yes, my ds does like DITHOR. He can't wait to read his book each day and discuss it with me. He's always asking, "What do we get to do today?" He also says repeatedly, "Momma, aren't you so excited we get to do DITHOR?" I do suggest though (and this is just my opinion, I'm sure others might not agree), that you use HOD for about 4 weeks before adding DITHOR. Just get use to it, KWIM, before adding anything else in that will also be new. HTH.:)

Oh, sorry about not explaining the English thing.

Here's a quote from HOD on the English: "We are delighted to recommend Preparing to Build: English 2 as an excellent first grammar and writing text. This study in English is a perfect follow-up to the grammar lessons in Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. It is also a wonderful introduction to grammar for students who have had little formal grammar instruction. Short, daily lessons provide a solid foundation in learning grammar for the purpose of writing. The lessons are easy-to-use, sequential, and very comprehensive."

Another quote: "

Since English 3 is significantly more advanced than English 2, we recommend students in grades 2-4 to go through English 2 first. The English 2 text can be used to teach multiple students in grades 2-4 at the same time. If your students have previously used an advanced program such as ABeka Grammar, you may have them go into English 3 instead.

I did English 2 with ds (who is currently in third) because he'd never had a formal grammar program before. I used his his spelling words (grammar with SWR) as his grammar. Your dc may be ready for Level 3. That would definitely be something to ask Carrie about as well as I'm not sure about the rigor of PLL. I have English 3 on my shelf now for next year and it's definitely a good step up from level 2. I'm glad that I did level 2 first.

You can use your own English program with HOD. It is not tied together like a unit study. PLL is Primary Language Lessons, right? To use that it may be a little repetitive because HOD is going to cover poetry, copywork, dictation, etc. R & S is just nouns, verbs, adj., adv., etc. Does that make sense what I'm trying to say? I hope so. If you love PLL, you could definitely stick with it and still use HOD. That's one of the great things about HOD.

Yes, my ds does like DITHOR. He can't wait to read his book each day and discuss it with me. He's always asking, "What do we get to do today?" He also says repeatedly, "Momma, aren't you so excited we get to do DITHOR?" I do suggest though (and this is just my opinion, I'm sure others might not agree), that you use HOD for about 4 weeks before adding DITHOR. Just get use to it, KWIM, before adding anything else in that will also be new. HTH.:)

So you did/are doing the LA portion in beyond in addition to R&S 2 with your oldest? That's good advice about DITHOR, I could see my son getting upset at too many new things.

Yes, PLL is primary language lessons. We do love it, but if HOD teaches LA in the same way that would be fine.

Edited by joyfulhomeschooler

So you did/are doing the LA portion in beyond in addition to R&S 2 with your oldest? That's good advice about DITHOR, I could see my son getting upset at too many new things.

Yes, PLL is primary language lessons. We do love it, but if HOD teaches LA in the same way that would be fine.

The LA portion in Beyond consists of Spelling and copywork of a poem on days 1-4 of the unit, on day 5 there's gentle grammar lessons (1x/week). Beyond also has a poetry box. My ds (8) does not use Beyond Spelling, for an 8 yr. old you have to use Bigger or your own spelling, we chose AAS. My ds did do all the copywork of the poem and also memorized the poem throughout the week with the poetry box. I do not use the gentle grammar lessons in Beyond with him, but used R & S English 2 with him.

My dd however who is (6) did all the copywork, gentle grammar (she loves the lessons and so do I), and poetry memorization with Beyond. I've been using AAS for her too, but recently have been trying out Beyond spelling with her. I did not use DITHOR for her and instead used the Emerging Readers Set, which we absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. :001_wub: We're on our last book though and she'll start DITHOR next year.

It probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. It's basically combining them for a lot of things, but making sure they are also working on level too. The left side of the guide (Learning Through History) we did everything together, plus the Storytime from the Right side. Have you taken a peek at the sample week?) The other things were done according to their abilities, ds in appropriate level of math, dd in appropriate level of math, etc. I hope that all makes sense. If I'm confusing you somehow, I'm sorry. I am willing to try and explain even better though.:)

haven't read up on anything else so I apologize to HOD if my comment was misrepresentative!

I didn't realize you had made any comments about it! I was just responding to the original poster's question. I haven't read all of the discussion on the other thread either. :001_smile:

I'm also using Beyond with 6 and 8 YOs. My 8YO does English 2 and Cheerful Cursive from Bigger. DS just does the copywork and weekly gramar lesson from Beyond. They both use a different spelling program...although I add a bit of dictation from Bigger for my oldest. They are combined for all other subjects.

It is very easy to make substitutions if needed. We are using ETC and R&S for spelling since they are more independent (I have 2 smaller DC to take care of too). We also follow Singapore closer to the IG than her hands on lessons, but I often use her ideas as well. I just feel the text and IG are a necessary part of math for us where she uses a short hands-on lesson and workbook only.

As far as teaching Bible, we mainly use the Bible and discuss a few questions...I know she uses more resources down the road, but we're not there yet. I would be very easy to fit in with your own teachings. The Morning Bells devotional would fit well with any Christian viewpoint.

Edited by Holly

I did a 5 year old and a 7 year old together using Beyond last year. It worked out pretty well. One easy way to think of it is you do the left hand side of the daily schedule together and the right hand side separately. I actually used both pages of Beyond with my 7 year old and used the right hand side of Little Hearts with my 5 year old. The daily schedule with HOD is excellent and so easy to follow!

Blessings,

Teresa

I did a 5 year old and a 7 year old together using Beyond last year. It worked out pretty well. One easy way to think of it is you do the left hand side of the daily schedule together and the right hand side separately. I actually used both pages of Beyond with my 7 year old and used the right hand side of Little Hearts with my 5 year old. The daily schedule with HOD is excellent and so easy to follow!

Blessings,

Teresa

So are you going to be doing Bigger with a 6 & 8 yr old? This is what I am leaning towards and then I can just either simplify the LA for the 6yr old or I can do another LA with her. She is 5 right now (almost 6) and is doing MFW 1st. So I don't think Bigger would be too hard for her on the other aspects.

So are you going to be doing Bigger with a 6 & 8 yr old? This is what I am leaning towards and then I can just either simplify the LA for the 6yr old or I can do another LA with her. She is 5 right now (almost 6) and is doing MFW 1st. So I don't think Bigger would be too hard for her on the other aspects.

There is a definite jump between Bigger and Beyond. I know my current 6 year old could not have done Bigger in first grade. There's a good deal more writing and critical thinking. Mainly the critical thinking stuff with the science would have went over her head. Just my perception.