Menu

favorite multiplication games/activities?

mindygz

I play a game with the kids I tutor, it was called plus one, but you could do the same concept with multiplication.

make two columns of 6 boxes down a page. Fill in the numbers. For the plus one boxes they had going down 2,3,4,5,6,7 do the same in the second column.

the rules then are the kids roll the dice and add 1 to the number, so if they rolled a 3 they would add 1 making it 4 and so would then cover the 4 on their board.

You could make similar ones for multiplicaiton tables. Once they learned up to the 6 you could then use two die and make them add the die and then multiply.

it was usually a pretty quick game.

We play Timez Attack (free base game; paid upgrades), games on multiplication.com (free), and we used the Times Tales DVD.

We also sometimes play War (the card game) but before the winner can take their cards, they have to multiply them. Or Memory- same- the person turning over the cards had to multiply them.

There's also a board game called Totally Tut which is a "math operations" board game.

• 3 months later...

Mythmatical Battles It is a battle card game wherein "attack" and "defend" strengths are based on multiplication. For example: Odin's attack is 7x8 and his defend is 8x8. The cards are heavily weighted to the 7s 8s and 9s, where ds (and most people) have the most trouble. There is also a side benefit in that all the characters are mythological persons/creatures, and tantalizing tidbits are given on the cards. There is a pack of Egyptian/Norse and one of Greek/Celtic. Ds figured out the multiplication tables just so he could play.:D

Guest submarines

Timez Attack here too, the free version. I was surprised DD liked it, because she doesn't like anything boyish, or anything competitive. But to my total surprise, she loves it. She's been playing for only a couple of days, but for her, it is still pretty impressive.