Menu

Spelling program for stuggling speller?

soonermomma

What spelling program would you recommend for dd8 who will be starting 3rd grade? She is reading above grade level but really struggles with spelling. This year we used R & S and although I love the grammar, I didn't feel like the spelling was very helpful to her.

Thanks,

Kristi

Can you tell us a little more about what kind of trouble she's having?

My oldest has a hard time with spelling. We were using All About Spelling (AAS), and while she did very well during spelling lessons, and scored nearly perfectly on her tests, she didn't seem to be able to apply what she learned in other areas of her school work.

We are now using Spelling Wisdom from Simply Charlotte Mason, and it seems to be working really well. It's spelling through studied dictation, and what I love about it for her is that it forces her to pay attention to the words. Basically it presents "6,000 most frequently used words presented in the writings of great men and women of history."

Sequential Spelling is a program that is supposed to be good for struggling spellers. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it here.

Edited by 3lilreds in NC

My DD basically couldn't spell at all until we did AAS. She just wasn't getting the concept. She's just turned 8 and things are really clicking for her now conceptually. We just started step 6 of level 2 this week :). We really like it because it gives us good results! It is logical, systematic, and I can see her applying what she has learned!