Menu

Trying to decide on Spelling!

kandty

I meant to post this last night, but some how put it on the logic stage board, and I intended to put it here. Sorry if you see it twice!

I am looking for a new program next year for my (will be) 5th grader. He is an excellent reader and is well above his grade level, but he struggles with spelling retention. We have used levels 1-3 of All About Spelling and his short term spelling improved but still not remembering in the long term. I decided to change our program for next year and here are the three I am looking at, but after weeks of research I can't decide. Spelling Workout (just because it is recommended), Megawords, and Sequential Spelling. My husbands advice was just to go with the cheapest since he couldn't decide either. My son was interested in a "workbook" program and liked Spelling Workout. We did a workbook program in first and second grade and it didn't work either. Sequential seems like a different approach, but my son said it looked boring since it is just one on one time. So, then I thought Megawords would be good. Anyone have any thoughts on this. This is my last decision for next year and I would love to just be done until this summer when lesson planning comes around.

Have you thought about SWR (Spell to Write and Read)? It is a little daunting to learn, but once you do, it is open and go. Many programs are geared toward the visual learner. Sometimes kids need spelling to make sense and be more logical. SWR does this and it is for all learning types. It uses all the senses. Check out www.morningstarlearning.com Britta has a great website and explains her experience using it with her 7 kids. There are training sessions for this program. As for cost, once you buy the program, all you need every year after that is a $2 composition book. I did use Megawords as a suppement, but not a stand alone. It is good with the rules of our language. If you have any more questions, I would be happy to help or talk with you personally. I am not a rep or trainer. SWR is something to look at and see if it might be for you. Thanks, Amy

We are using Spelling Workout. I like it because it is very organized and teaches word organized about a particular rule, and moves very quickly into lists based around Greek, Latin, and I've even seen French and other language word roots. English is a polyglot language, and these groupings make spelling make sense to my kids. I do sometimes cut out some exercises (we have enough writing in our program). Every 5 chapters is a review of the previous 5 lessons, which helps with retention.

Alternative to that is something like Vocabulary Workshop. Besides building vocabulary, you can use the words as spelling words for a spelling test at the end of the unit. They build great thinking skills at the same time, and then you don't need to spend time on two different things.

A third option is to just jot down unfamiliar words from the week's lessons and use them to build a word list to play with. There are free programs on the internet that will automatically build crossword puzzles, word-searches, and other fun games from word lists you supply. After he's become familiar with the words, then you can quiz him.

Have fun!