Menu

S/O couponing vs shopping at Aldi and other discount stores

Here is an experiment I am trying-couponing. I read the Coupon mom book and am working on bringing down our grocery bill using a combination of couponing, loss leader sales and shopping at Aldi.

I am starting to think I am too poor for couponing.:confused: A great many of the coupons are for things I still couldn't afford even after the coupon. I get a better deal on store brands of items usually. Brand name cleaning supplies, health and beauty supplies and makeup can be purchased much more cheaply by buying a store brand or at Aldi. I am not brand loyal to any products, really.

Normally, I shop at Aldi for the majority of my groceries and fill in at Wal Mart (which is right next door) for things Aldi doesn't carry. Now I am considering the game plan of going to a few different stores each shopping trip. Oh, and I am trying to figure out the CVS thing.

Has anyone actually done the work and effort required to compare couponing combined with store sales vs shopping at Aldi or Save A Lot?

I guess to answer this for myself I need to sit down and start a price book.

When this week is over and homeschool activities stop for a while I will have more time to devote to planning shopping trips and going to different stores for different things, so I am not giving up yet.

I try to use coupons, but most of the things they are for we don't use. I've been spending around 125$ a week for our family of 5 the past few weeks...including dog food, cat food and litter, hygiene things, paper products

I make our bread

We aren't eating meat because it is Lent(and I think that is what accounts for the big price drop! I usually spend around $200 a week)

I make a big pot of veggie soup that gives many many servings and costs maybe $6 to make. That is what dh and I eat for lunch along with the bread I bake.

Tonights dinner was ww rigatoni made with ricotta and spinach and sauce baked for awhile and I made enough for 2 days

I made a big pot of vegetarian chili with loads of veggies and that fed 11 people for dinner...the 5 of us for dinner...and will provide a few more lunches.

• 1 month later...

How is your couponing going now?

I didn't see this thread earlier. I have just started back to couponing.

Do you have a match up website, like SouthernSavers.com to match up deals with coupons?

I use HotCouponWorld.com a lot for the forums and help. It does take time, and many give the advice to NOT lower your grocery budget for a few months while you build your stockpile.

Dawn

Funny to see this thread again from last month.LOL

Well, I am getting more serious about couponing. I so use a few different sites to match up sales and coupons. I have a good , small stockpile of personal care items, laundry detergent and a few food items.

I have been trying to shop according to sales and coupons deals and then fill in at Aldi. Two weeks ago, I really did well and spend at least thirty dollars less than usual. That is for 2 weeks. Of course, I took into account meat I already had on hand, so that helped with the saving.

We will see how I do this Friday when I have less meat in the freezer. Also, I decided to use cash when I shop, so that helps keep me on track and I am less prone to toss things in the cart. It does take time to go to a few different store, but I have more time available than money.:lol:

I am getting more serious about it as well.

have you found laundry soap for free? I haven't yet. I have some sitting in the basement that we take on trips, but for home use I just make my own as it is about $1 per month or less for use.

Dawn

Funny to see this thread again from last month.LOL

Well, I am getting more serious about couponing. I so use a few different sites to match up sales and coupons. I have a good , small stockpile of personal care items, laundry detergent and a few food items.

I have been trying to shop according to sales and coupons deals and then fill in at Aldi. Two weeks ago, I really did well and spend at least thirty dollars less than usual. That is for 2 weeks. Of course, I took into account meat I already had on hand, so that helped with the saving.

We will see how I do this Friday when I have less meat in the freezer. Also, I decided to use cash when I shop, so that helps keep me on track and I am less prone to toss things in the cart. It does take time to go to a few different store, but I have more time available than money.:lol:

I do both: I use coupons for things I cannot get at Aldi, or our commisary. For example: today I bought $84 worth of Osteo-Biflex for $15 at Rite Aid. I need it for my arthritis. I think it works better than generic. So I bought it on sale, bogo, and used two coupons for $6 and $5 off a bottle. I also found one large bottle marked down 50% off because it was expiring soon, and used a coupon for that one. I got some register rewards from previous purchases, which took $13 off. There are a few things I won't buy at Aldi--I mainly just buy produce, frozen fish and a few dry/canned goods. The rest of my household items I try to buy using coupons when the items are on sale: detergent, dishwasher and regular dish soap, paper products. I usually stock up when things are on sale because I usually have multiples of the coupons available--my hubby buys a paper on Sunday, as does my father-in-law, and there are coupons in the free newspaper printed on our military installation. I check out coupon mom . com to check out sales and match up coupons, but I generally don't buy a lot of things that coupons are available for: processed food, household cleaners, and beauty products of types or brands I don't use. Couponing for everything is too time consuming for me and doesn't give a good return on my time!

I also get good deals in other places--I found two books at our library book sale that would have cost me about $150 total if purchased new, but I found them at the book sale for 50 cents each.

Jennifer

Edited by purplemama

I should do CVS again as well. I haven't done much of anything for a while.

Dawn

Do you have a CVS nearby? I do well on health and beauty items there. I cut coupons, wait for a B1G1 sale and then use two coupons. This works out to be a much better deal than I could find even if I bought similar generic items at Walmart.

I have found good deals with CVS and Walgreens, mostly health and beauty stuff and some household things.

I have not found laundry detergent for free, but I have found it cheap by combining sales, store coupons and manufacturers' coupons. If your homemade is that cheap, it will be hard to beat that price.:) I tried homemade once and it didn't work out. I have hard water and I wash in cold water, so that may have had something to do with it.

Just popping in to say, stick with it! I have only been doing it for about 3 mos now, but I am saving so much money. I do CVS, one grocery store that doubles the coupons, and then fill in at ALdi after the deals. Also, Walmart price matches. So if I can't get to Aldi, I can take their add in and get the produce deals at Walmart, or if I can't find something Walgreen's is advertising on sale, I can take their add in and then use the coupon at Walmart, etc. I just learned this trick.

I have a good stockpile on personal hygiene and kitchen staples now and have even gotten coupons for baking items, meat (Yes actual meat coupons matched w/sales =free chicken and low cost beef, not just processed stuff..) so those deals will eventually come around. The hardest part was the first month or so, as I didn't have a stock of things. So I was chasing the coupon deals then still having to buy regular stuff at Aldi. But now I only have to do the coupons for the week plus produce and milk. I have a good blog to follow that helps immensely. I wouldn't do this if it wasn't that easy.