Menu

Gaps in Horizons Math?

golfcartmama

I know it's been mentioned and I've searched extensively but can't find it...probably user error. Anyway, I remember a thread awhile back that was talking about the gaps in Horizons Math. Can't anyone link me or tell me where the gaps are? I'm considering it for use as a main curriculum for my upcoming 3rd DS and also possibly for my DD for K.

Thanks!!

I think it's not so much that it has gaps in teaching any particular subject, but rather that it doesn't cover any mental math at all and doesn't give any explicit instruction in what is happening when you group during addition and subtraction. I imagine it has other conceptual shortcomings, too, but those are the only ones I can say for certain. I would use it alone without worry if you're good at teaching mental math and math concepts on your own. If you aren't, I absolutely would not use it as your only math. HTH some. :)

We have used it and loved it. I agree, it does not encourage mental math. I do not like the TM so I've never used it, but if you did it probably helps you to explain the concepts.

I think it covers a lot of material, though. There is just enough practice and new items along w/math puzzles that hold the kids' interest. I've never found a program I like better.

I've used it with Life of Fred and Challenge Math (not all at once).

I do not like the TM so I've never used it, but if you did it probably helps you to explain the concepts.

If by "concept" you mean the conceptual basis for the written work, then no, it doesn't. It's pretty widely agreed that the TM is nearly useless, although some people like it. I have typed verbatim the 1st grade TM's explanation of regrouping in addition in another thread. It doesn't explain the concept at all. It just says to tell the student to write the one in the next column.

Yeh, the TMs are really only good for checking answers quickly. Not a lot of instruction help. It's funny, there are usually 2 pages in the TM for each lesson, but it doesn't say much. :glare: It tells you what is going to be covered in the lesson and what your student should be able to do after the lesson, but not much in between as to how to get you there. And zero mental math.

It was fine for us for 2nd grade, and my son enjoyed the color pages and the constant review, but I feel like we need a bit more. I want to teach him more of the "why" and I want to have a program that will help me with that. We are switching to MM.

Yeh, the TMs are really only good for checking answers quickly. Not a lot of instruction help. It's funny, there are usually 2 pages in the TM for each lesson, but it doesn't say much. :glare: It tells you what is going to be covered in the lesson and what your student should be able to do after the lesson, but not much in between as to how to get you there. And zero mental math.

I use the Horizons TM every day, and I have to disagree with the quote above. For a person who actually reads the TM and follows the instructions, there is a good amount of concept teaching and use of manipulatives. We spend about a quarter to half of the lesson doing drills and using the white board and manipulatives to teach new concepts and review old ones according to the instructions in the TM. I have read a lot of criticism of this math curriculum from people who don't use or who have never even read the TM. That is curious to me.

Well, I do own and have read the TM for 1st grade, and that's exactly why I'd recommend that anyone who isn't good at teaching mental math strategies and the concepts behind the algorithms *not* use it as a standalone program. For those who are good at teaching those things and have a solid grasp of it all themselves, Horizons (and anything else) would be fine. For everyone else, it would not, IMO.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Well, I do own and have read the TM for 1st grade, and that's exactly why I'd recommend that anyone who isn't good at teaching mental math strategies and the concepts behind the algorithms *not* use it as a standalone program. For those who are good at teaching those things and have a solid grasp of it all themselves, Horizons (and anything else) would be fine. For everyone else, it would not, IMO.

:iagree:

I use Horizons with one of my sons and we are both really enjoy it. I do know what I'm doing with teaching concepts and alternative strategies, and I add plenty of mental work, so Henry succeeds at math. The objectives in the TM are all I need as I approach each lesson.

I don't recommend Horizons to others, though. I have learned that many parents today don't understand arithmetic well enough to fill in the gaps instinctively.

For those who need to be taught how to teach arithmetic, or are learning for the first time along with their students, there are other programs with excellent teacher's guides that are probably more suitable.

I use the Horizons TM every day, and I have to disagree with the quote above. For a person who actually reads the TM and follows the instructions, there is a good amount of concept teaching and use of manipulatives. We spend about a quarter to half of the lesson doing drills and using the white board and manipulatives to teach new concepts and review old ones according to the instructions in the TM. I have read a lot of criticism of this math curriculum from people who don't use or who have never even read the TM. That is curious to me.

:iagree: In fact, we just did lesson 5 in Horizons 3 today and the tip in the TM said to use play money to demonstrate the carrying in the addition problems. We too spend the first part of most lessons using manipulatives or the whiteboard to go over topics if needed. The TM isn't scripted, but it does give examples of how to teach the concepts. The only complaint I would have about horizons is the absense of mental math. This can be easily fixed by just doing your own mental math activities at breakfast or lunch or in the car.

:iagree: In fact, we just did lesson 5 in Horizons 3 today and the tip in the TM said to use play money to demonstrate the carrying in the addition problems. We too spend the first part of most lessons using manipulatives or the whiteboard to go over topics if needed. The TM isn't scripted, but it does give examples of how to teach the concepts. The only complaint I would have about horizons is the absense of mental math. This can be easily fixed by just doing your own mental math activities at breakfast or lunch or in the car.

But that bit about mental math requires the teacher to be proficient at it, and to have a good grasp of a few strategies. Many don't and would therefore be doing their children a great disservice by attempting to teach something they don't really understand or do well. If Horizons 3 is having you use play money to explain carrying and borrowing that's fantastic, but it's 2 years too late, given that the program introduced the algorithm in Horizons 1, without any money, base ten blocks, linking cubes, or even an adequate verbal explanation.

(Typing on phone, so please excuse typos and perceived terseness, lol.)

But that bit about mental math requires the teacher to be proficient at it, and to have a good grasp of a few strategies. Many don't and would therefore be doing their children a great disservice by attempting to teach something they don't really understand or do well. If Horizons 3 is having you use play money to explain carrying and borrowing that's fantastic, but it's 2 years too late, given that the program introduced the algorithm in Horizons 1, without any money, base ten blocks, linking cubes, or even an adequate verbal explanation.

:iagree:

I own and have read the TMs for levels 2 and 3. I look at them daily when getting ready for our lesson, but have not found them very useful. And they are expensive TMs. Like previous posters have mentioned, I felt confident in my math skills to teach my son well (and add in some mental math focus) without the TM. But I know that not everyone would be able to do that, and so I wouldn't recommend Horizons unless the teacher is strong in math.

I often recommend Horizons to supplement, I think it is wonderful for that purpose.

Horizons is a solid math program. My oldest used it from K-3 and we switched only because they don't go all the way to high school, stopping at pre-algebra I believe. My younger two are both using Horizons Math, one in first and one in K. If you use the manipulatives and other techniques as described in the TM I perceive no gaps in these younger grades. I have zero experience past third grade with the program as we chose to switch to a program to carry us thru high school. My oldest moved to Saxon 5/4 this year and has transitioned beautifully from Horizons. HTH

I've been very happy with Horizons (my oldest used 1-6 and has gone on to high school math and done well; my youngest is in 4 and has used it since K -- she's much less naturally math-oriented), but I'll agree that in terms of mental math and solving complex word problems, Horizons isn't as strong. So we use some Singapore along the way for the mental math and deeper problem solving. Singapore, on the other hand, doesn't have the built-in review and the breadth of topics that Horizons has -- I find they complement each other very well.

I've been very happy with Horizons (my oldest used 1-6 and has gone on to high school math and done well; my youngest is in 4 and has used it since K -- she's much less naturally math-oriented), but I'll agree that in terms of mental math and solving complex word problems, Horizons isn't as strong. So we use some Singapore along the way for the mental math and deeper problem solving. Singapore, on the other hand, doesn't have the built-in review and the breadth of topics that Horizons has -- I find they complement each other very well.

I am doing the same plan with some Singapore workbooks to supplement Horizons. Which workbooks would you recommend from Singapore? I have been looking at the "Challenging Word Problems" workbooks and maybe the "Extra Practice" workbooks. Any other suggestions?

I have used Horizons math for my kids for the last 4 years. I have used levels K Thur 5 and haven't noticed any gaps for my ds. In fact, they have received excellent scores on their annual standardized tests.

Horizons is an great choice for many homeschoolers, but it's certainly not for everyone. I agree with some of the pp that the TM is not as descriptive as some would like, but we are dealing with elementary math here!

FWIW--Horizons 1st grade has students drill math facts 10 - 18 beginning in lesson 12. This math program schedules daily math drill work through the 4th grade. It is a very important component in math! Some of the math drill involve mental math activities, but we do 6 mental math problems every morning to supplement Horizons. This usually only adds 5 minutes to our math routine.

Lesson 13 of the first grade TM explains place value like this:

"Put 3 tens and 5 ones on the chalk board using place value materials. Have the student count the groups of tens and ones. Then have them tell you what the number is. Repeat this procedure with several other numbers."

Many lessons follow with hands on activities to help kids understand place value which is a building block for regrouping. Generally, when a new activity is scheduled, the TM explains how to do it. After that, the TM assumes the parent already knows how to do the math activity.

Regrouping is introduced in 1st grade, lesson 131. The TM explains it like this: "Write 7 + 5 = 12 vertically on the chalk board. Discuss the place value (use place value materials) for the number 12 (1 ten + 2 ones) with the student. Write 37 + 5 vertically on the chalk board. Have the student add the ones column (12). Write the 2 ones in the ones' column and add the 1 ten to the 3 in the tens' column. (The book also has a number display of this with a small square in the tens' place.) Use the small square above the 3 in the tens' column in which to put the 1. Now have the student add the tens' column and you write the answer (4) in the tens' column. Have the student verify their answer by counting over 5 from the 37 on the number chart. Work several more examples on the chalkboard following this same procedure. As the student begins working the problems in Student Activity One, check their work for efforts that should be corrected now before they become a habit."

This may not be enough explanation for some, but for the average user, this should be sufficient. Place value materials are heavily used in 1st - 3rd grade, providing hands on conceptual understanding things like place value, order, regrouping, etc.