Menu

read-aloud to go with...

Pata

a butterfly unit study. We will be spending two weeks this summer on a butterfly unit study. I was wondering if the hive mind could come up with a read-aloud book that would go with this somewhat. It can take from two to four weeks as we will be taking a two week break after the unit study. It doesn't have to be specifically about butterflies, maybe just about natures or an outdoor adventure. To give you an idea of what she is capable of listening to, we just finished Wizard of Oz and House at Pooh Corner. Ok, suggest away!

I don't know that butterflies are ever even mentioned, but what about The Secret Garden? You've got out-of-doors, and a certain amount of adventure, and lots of flowers...plus Colin certainly undergoes an amazing transformation! Actually, so does his father and Mary... Highly recommended!!

I don't know that butterflies are ever even mentioned, but what about The Secret Garden? You've got out-of-doors, and a certain amount of adventure, and lots of flowers...plus Colin certainly undergoes an amazing transformation! Actually, so does his father and Mary... Highly recommended!!

My 5yo LOVES this book! I agree it's about the transforming power of nature, so totally appropriate (though I wouldn't have made the connection before reading 5wolfcubs post).

I think one of the Magic School Bus chapter books is about butterflies, and my dc enjoy those but they're definitely closer to the twaddle category.

Thank you! This is exactly the type of book I was looking for. I remember reading this as a child, but I had forgotten about it. It was one of my favorites then and I think that it will fit perfectly with the time I have. Thanks again, I knew to ask here!

My 5yo LOVES this book! I agree it's about the transforming power of nature, so totally appropriate (though I wouldn't have made the connection before reading 5wolfcubs post).

I think one of the Magic School Bus chapter books is about butterflies, and my dc enjoy those but they're definitely closer to the twaddle category.

I have scheduled one of the Magic school bus books for the unit, but thanks for the suggestion. But, I'm very glad to hear that another 5yo loves this book. I think that we are definately going to go with The Secret Garden!

I love the Secret Garden idea! It is one of my all-time favorite books. I read it about 10x when I was little. :)

A much younger (and much shorter) book is one of the EMily Rodda Fairy Realm books. My 9 yod read so many of them last yr that I don't remember which one.....but in one of them she is supposed to play the part of a butterfly. It might have been the Flower Fairies...not sure.