Menu

2012 Grassroots Tour *Portland Oregon

So, I'm excited because I got the general email back about my response for wanting SWB here in Portland (or Salem) I'm a little bummed with the reality that my email was one of... probably hundreds.

I'm wondering... if Portland will have a chance... (or Salem)

I REALLY think that Salem/Portland needs something like this... although of course... one of the ideas was smaller. I would love to have small so I can listen.... of course large isn't as selfish... (but then reality is... I'd be dealing with problems instead of listening to talks... and I want to listen..)

How many people could really show up in Salem or Portland??

And, how many more emails to Patricia before I am considered obnoxious? :D

I'd really just love to listen to her. One thing I've thought about it maybe she could come for small for the weekend and then do a talk at a Classical School, too.... or something like that. (selfish and then not :))

I need some academic conferences.... :)

I would be willing to go anywhere in Oregon or Washington. I get the impression that there are a lot of us in the Pacific Northwest. I know California also sounds like a reasonable destination, but I doubt I'd honestly be able to go that far, so I'm hoping she is able to make it to the PacNW. :D

It would be nice for the Capital to get a spot!! And, I think I could get a church here!! (And, I'm wondering how many of us she's thinking) And, of course, I will need to see how much $$$ we need to gather. I think it's doable. I am wondering if small... is better. I had thought of that with the other speaker I was thinking about. Would it be better to just have a large handful be there so that we can really just listen to one person?? And then the next year ask someone else?? I don't know how many hours I can concentrate on one person.... Perhaps if I got to record it and go back over it later?? The other person I was thinking that if I got a church and a room full of people that I would need 35 people to pay for travel, food and speaking fee. That would still be a pretty intimate conference. (that's if I can get the church for pretty much free.) I had thought of trying to match up with a Classical School to help foot the travel expenses...

:)

This is my first post here but I would definitely attend if it was in Salem or Portland. We are just now starting to go down the road of homeschooling but I respect SWB so much. The Well Trained Mind has helped me to realize it isn't just a dream, it is a possibility.

In addition, it would be great to get a better picture of the local homeschooling scene.

Well, what I'm wondering is: if she had a few places to go in a specific area, would that make it more worth coming? I am west of Seattle. We NEVER get anything over here, so I'd LOVE it if she could grace us with her presence over here! So, if there are a couple of places in this area, and a place or two in Portland, Salem, Seattle, and Spokane areas (since I saw that mentioned), that could keep her busy for a week or so, and make it worth coming out. It seems like having in-home grassroots meetings would mean this kind of thing. Yes? Maybe?