Menu

Help! My dog has a scrape on her leg. What do I do?

Is it a scrape or a hot spot (some breeds have a tendency to hot spots). I've used tea tree oil on my dogs successfully. The worst hot spot we had one a golden retriever cross required a trip to the vet, he shaved the spot, then gave an antibiotic ointment.

Is it oozing?

Is it a scrape or a hot spot (some breeds have a tendency to hot spots). I've used tea tree oil on my dogs successfully. The worst hot spot we had one a golden retriever cross required a trip to the vet, he shaved the spot, then gave an antibiotic ointment.

Is it oozing?

Sorry to hijack, but we are dealing with a similar issue...our dog has a foot she won't quit licking and we are on our second round of steroids, and now she's on anti-anxiety meds for a month or so to see if we can get her to quit....

My question is: will it hurt the dog if they lick the tea tree oil? I'm wondering if that might help the spot heal and get her to stop licking it?

I don't know how she got it. It's on her front leg & is about the size of a dime. She keeps licking it. Do I put neosporin on it? Do I call the vet?

Anybody?

The "it's about the size of a dime" makes me think of a lick granuloma. It happens when dogs keep licking one spot until it becomes raw and inflamed. Dogs do this for a variety of reasons-- boredom, separation anxiety, or even sometimes because of an underlying irritation, like arthritis in that joint. The licking becomes a habit--- like Doggie OCD. The tea tree oil is a good suggestion. If you can restrict acces to it that would be best. You've got to break the cycle of licking. She may yank it off, but sometimes an old sock pulled over the foot and then duct taped to the fur helps keep them from licking the area so the healing can start.

Hope she is on the mend soon!

astrid

Sorry to hijack, but we are dealing with a similar issue...our dog has a foot she won't quit licking and we are on our second round of steroids, and now she's on anti-anxiety meds for a month or so to see if we can get her to quit....

My question is: will it hurt the dog if they lick the tea tree oil? I'm wondering if that might help the spot heal and get her to stop licking it?

That sounds like a lick granuloma as well......

Tea tree oil won't generally hurt he dog because she just won't ingest that much from licking. And it tastes TERRIBLE so chances are, one lick is all she'll give it!

Hope she feels better soon!

astrid

It could be skin mites. My dog had a bare spot he wouldn't leave alone because it itched SO bad...so he just kept licking it raw. The vet treated it as a skin infection (not knowing it was mites) and we paid almost $400 to the vet. The sore never did go away until I did internet research and figured out it was mites, and treated it on my own.

Ivermectin will take care of it. I get Ivermectin at our feed and seed. The kind I get is meant for horses, so I just give doggy tiny tiny doses on a daily basis to keep the mites away.