Menu

?'s about FIAR

Koerarmoca

We are starting HS'ing Monday. I have FIAR vol 1 & 2 for dd5 I was wondering if it would be ok to start with Vol 2 for Aprils schedule and then work our way to the end of it and start Vol one next year. I just like the schedule and the way the holidays line up and such. wwyd?

We are starting HS'ing Monday. I have FIAR vol 1 & 2 for dd5 I was wondering if it would be ok to start with Vol 2 for Aprils schedule and then work our way to the end of it and start Vol one next year. I just like the schedule and the way the holidays line up and such. wwyd?

When my youngest was in kindergarten I used a random mix of books from FIAR vol. 1-2, in whatever order I wanted. He did great, and really enjoyed it.

(The difficulty level in the first two volumes is about the same, so the order doesn't matter at all. Just put them in whatever order you like.)

We are on our second round of rowing vols 1-3. We are skippers here too. :001_smile:

In a week we will be re-rowing Storm in the Night because with spring comes storms. Before that we rowed books that had to do with flowers in anticipation of Spring. As the weather warms up even more we will be re-rowing books to do with water (Moonjellies, etc). We will also be re-rowing Bee Tree during the Spring/Summer months.

I like to row books that either fit with the current season, or with something in particular that has our interests at the time.

I definitely jumped around. Also, I got all of my books from the library. If my library did not have the book, I did not do that lesson. So, you can even skip a few. The whole purpose is to give the child an exposure to rich classic children's literature. Every single one of these books are classics that were read to me when I was a child or heard about. They are well written books. They have amazing pictures. I could go on. You know. I think that this is one of the best curriculum out there. The best way to start your child's education off.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Other than matching up with the seasons, there is no other reason for the order. So if you like the idea of the books matching up with the seasons, then it makes sense to start with Volume 2. However, if you start with Vol. 2 and do the whole thing, I am not sure you will be exactly lined up with seasons. When we did it, we started in August, and so we were a month ahead. It usually did not make a difference, except when we did Cranberry Thanksgiving, which I just put off until the week before.