Menu

advice needed for working at home

Do you feel your children could have been learning more and better if you don't need to work? What are you tips to keep the learning quality while you work?

(A little story about my situation:

1. We decided to HS mainly to keep my DDs's Chinese learning going. I am from Taiwan. My DD1 speak, read, and write in Chinese fluently.

2. I maintain a cello studio at my house. I teach cello during after-school hours on four of the week days. If my children go to PS, they will not get to see me until after their dinner time and I don't want a life style like that. During these hours before my husband comes home around 5:30, my DDs watch Chinese cartoons or play educational games on their computers. Occasionally I hire a Chinese speaking tutor but I really prefer to save that money.)

It's been working out well since DD1 was in K-1 grade that I was able to cover most studies in the morning. This year she enjoys spending more time on piano and cello. On top of that, she asked for adding Latin, more French, cursive writing, and more time on Science...

I guess I should be happy about this but I just can't manage it anymore to fit every subject DD1 wants to learn in the mornings and handling DD2 who is in her terrible-two stage. sometimes I feel so guilty that I imagine to quit teaching all together to be more devoted. But we really can't afford to do that.

Thank you in advance.:001_smile:

I've worked mostly from home and homeschooled for over a decade now, and it is perpetually a struggle. In some ways it has gotten harder because school takes all day and sometimes I have to study myself in order to help them. Logic and Latin have been tough that way this year. Yesterday my oldest hit a roadblock in Logic that took me over an hour to get over.

I came to the conclusion some years ago that DVD's, scripted programs, and outside classes were the only way to go for our situation, and I've never looked back. For example, this year I didn't buy the Logic DVDs for my oldest's outside class because I didn't think I'd have any problems, but looking back at the last few months, it would have saved me a lot of time. His teacher really hasn't been that much of a help, and watching the DVD lesson might have resolved some issues before I had to study and help. I can't make that type of mistake again. And I really don't think I've sacrificed quality. There are many excellent choices out there for busy families, and delegating by using something someone else developed is fine.

Also each has an assignment book from 2nd grade on, and that helps them keep going when I'm busy. I haul most of their books with me when they go to their martial arts class on Friday nights, and that is when I go over things I haven't graded during the week and write up their assignments for the next week. Then we're ready for Monday.

I came to the conclusion some years ago that DVD's, scripted programs, and outside classes were the only way to go for our situation, and I've never looked back. .... And I really don't think I've sacrificed quality. There are many excellent choices out there for busy families, and delegating by using something someone else developed is fine.

:iagree: I work outside the home approximately 6 afternoons a month (I paint with people w/ disabilities, all in nursing homes or intermediate care facilities). I have 4 children ages 12, 10, 7, 5 (almost 6). This has been our first year homeschooling. I have my older 2 in outside classes once a week that covers some subjects that I figured I would not have the time to dedicate, writing for example. I also have the older 2 going to a Latin tutor. I made mistakes this year of trying to "hodge podge" too much w/ curriculum and having everyone in separate curricula. I won't be doing that next year! I plan to group the kids into as much together as possible and will be using MFW for that. We are also going to continue some outside classes. My oldest is going to be in an "extension program" that will basically cover all his subjects w/ outside tutors. I think if you decide to work, than something has to give. You can't do it all yourself. I think it is definitely worth it to "outsource" some of the subjects so you and your kids can still be at home together.

Also each has an assignment book from 2nd grade on, and that helps them keep going when I'm busy.

:iagree:I did not do well at this as I am terrible at planning. This is why I am using a curriculum next year that is planned out for me. I do plan to implement planners for my older kids next year. They had planners in private school, and I just didn't get it going this year and ended up regretting it!

Best wishes!

We use alot of independent materials, because I usually have at least one conference call during DD9's school hours. I look for school work that DD can do mostly independently. All of her work for the day is written in a planner for her and she knows that if I am on the phone when she has a question, she should work on something else from her planner until I am available again.

2. I maintain a cello studio at my house. I teach cello during after-school hours on four of the week days. If my children go to PS, they will not get to see me until after their dinner time and I don't want a life style like that.

I'm not at the point where you are yet, since my DD is so young still. But, I have a colleague who teaches group lessons (not too big a group, 2-4 kids each) instead of private one-on-one lessons in the afternoon. Then she tries to fill her studio with homeschoolers and adults who can meet during PS hours. This has helped her with some of the scheduling issues. Just wanted to pass that along in case in gave you any ideas.

I have worked and homeschooled for over a decade as well. It's a juggle. I worked 20hrs/wk until ds was 12, then 30hrs/wk. I've worked the last 8+ years from home. Until ds was in middle school, I had some sort of childcare arrangement: dh, teen helper, after-school program. I choose curriculum carefully - only a few will be teacher intensive. I mainly look for efficiency. I get all the teacher helps I can find. I started outsourcing some in middle school, more in high school. We've always done a few activities out of the house, but they are carefully chosen, nearby, and limited. Last but not least, I am very organized.

FWIW, it sounds to me like you are doing a fantastic job. :grouphug:

ETA: One more thing. Dh always helped out a bit. When we started, dh taught ds to read and continue with language arts until 5th grade, then switched to 1/2 our science program through 8th grade. He is now only in charge of science experiments which ds can actually manage on his own.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Do you feel your children could have been learning more and better if you don't need to work? What are you tips to keep the learning quality while you work?

(A little story about my situation:

1. We decided to HS mainly to keep my DDs's Chinese learning going. I am from Taiwan. My DD1 speak, read, and write in Chinese fluently.

2. I maintain a cello studio at my house. I teach cello during after-school hours on four of the week days. If my children go to PS, they will not get to see me until after their dinner time and I don't want a life style like that. During these hours before my husband comes home around 5:30, my DDs watch Chinese cartoons or play educational games on their computers. Occasionally I hire a Chinese speaking tutor but I really prefer to save that money.)

It's been working out well since DD1 was in K-1 grade that I was able to cover most studies in the morning. This year she enjoys spending more time on piano and cello. On top of that, she asked for adding Latin, more French, cursive writing, and more time on Science...

I guess I should be happy about this but I just can't manage it anymore to fit every subject DD1 wants to learn in the mornings and handling DD2 who is in her terrible-two stage. sometimes I feel so guilty that I imagine to quit teaching all together to be more devoted. But we really can't afford to do that.

Thank you in advance.:001_smile:

:grouphug:

Hugs to you. It makes you tired, but it can be done. You are doing so well, and you are just worrying about the future. I suggest you just enjoy now and wait for the future. Some things to reassure you:

- as your children get older, they will be able to handle more on their own

- as you get more experienced as a homeschool teacher, you will handle juggling and switching faster and easier

- if you have all the way from morning until after-school hours, then you really have a full day for teaching, such as 8:30 - 2:30

- you can make a list of independent pieces for your older to do when the younger needs attention (read a chapter, do math problems if the lesson has already been taught, finish a project or a map on her own, watch a video related to science, do math drill on the computer, etc)

- lots of things can be done together with the little sibling, and really only language arts and math need one-on-one time

- after schoolwork is done, while you are teaching, there may be educational activities, service projects, chores, or other ideas you could list on a marker board to keep them busy

I've always had to work part-time, and I do think kids understand family needs. Remember, it's not like you're doing your nails on the couch while watching soap operas :)

Julie

I came to the conclusion some years ago that DVD's, scripted programs, and outside classes were the only way to go for our situation, and I've never looked back.

Also each has an assignment book from 2nd grade on, and that helps them keep going when I'm busy. I haul most of their books with me when they go to their martial arts class on Friday nights, and that is when I go over things I haven't graded during the week and write up their assignments for the next week. Then we're ready for Monday.

Thank you for your tips!! This also confirmed some of my doubts about what to choose that best suits our family.

We are also going to continue some outside classes. My oldest is going to be in an "extension program" that will basically cover all his subjects w/ outside tutors. I think if you decide to work, than something has to give. You can't do it all yourself. I think it is definitely worth it to "outsource" some of the subjects so you and your kids can still be at home together.

I did not do well at this as I am terrible at planning. This is why I am using a curriculum next year that is planned out for me. I do plan to implement planners for my older kids next year. They had planners in private school, and I just didn't get it going this year and ended up regretting it!

Best wishes!

Great tips to simplify planning. Thanks,

It is a juggle.

I am very organized.

FWIW, it sounds to me like you are doing a fantastic job. :grouphug:

Thanks a lot. I am glad to know how other experienced moms go through this and thank you for your encouragement!!

I have to admit that I am not an organization type of person(The best thing I can organize well are some musical notes and that's about it.....) But I will train myself towards this direction.

:grouphug:

Hugs to you. It makes you tired, but it can be done. You are doing so well, and you are just worrying about the future. I suggest you just enjoy now and wait for the future. Some things to reassure you:

- as your children get older, they will be able to handle more on their own

- as you get more experienced as a homeschool teacher, you will handle juggling and switching faster and easier

- if you have all the way from morning until after-school hours, then you really have a full day for teaching, such as 8:30 - 2:30

- you can make a list of independent pieces for your older to do when the younger needs attention (read a chapter, do math problems if the lesson has already been taught, finish a project or a map on her own, watch a video related to science, do math drill on the computer, etc)

- lots of things can be done together with the little sibling, and really only language arts and math need one-on-one time

- after schoolwork is done, while you are teaching, there may be educational activities, service projects, chores, or other ideas you could list on a marker board to keep them busy

I've always had to work part-time, and I do think kids understand family needs. Remember, it's not like you're doing your nails on the couch while watching soap operas :)

Julie

Very profound insights!! I think I need to print this out and post it on my desk.

Did you ever use a sitter/helper? I haven't and I feel exhausted mentally. Because I worry and I feel in debt to my children.

I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks again!!

I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks again!!

Your little won't be little forever!

If you click on your name in the upper right hand corner it will take you to your "home page" and if you select statistics, you can look at all the posts you've make or threads you have started (well, going back 250). HTH

Welcome. Ask away. We don't bite.

Did you ever use a sitter/helper? I haven't and I feel exhausted mentally.

I haven't needed a sitter in quite a while, since my oldest is 26 and my youngest is 15 now :)

But there was a time when I hired a sitter for 2 hours, 3 days a week, between my work shift and dh's. I chose someone who would do the things I wasn't getting to -- play outside mostly (even in Minnesota winters). There were trade-offs, as sometimes I felt I was cleaning up after the sitter, as well as my kids, but the mental weight of caring for our children's every need was lifted off of us a bit and it was good, I think. You might keep an eye out for an older high schooler or college student. The first babysitter I hired some 25 years ago was an international student who mostly wanted some contact with a local family.

Best wishes as you progress through this period in your life. It does get easier.

Julie