Menu

Do I need to add in a writing program to Rod and Staff English 3?

marsha617

Just wondering... We are presently using Rod and Staff English 2 and will begin Rod and Staff English 3 next fall. Do I need to add in a writing program? If you presently use R & S English or have in the past what did you do? Is Rod and Staff English 3 a full writing program? If I do add something in I think my choices would be Writing Strands or WWE. Thank you!

We are doing R&S 2 as well right now. We write across the curriculum using WTM/Complete Writer guidelines, using dictation, narration, and copywork. It is a GREAT combination for us so far, and a lot of connections have really been clicking lately. I highly recommend doing some WTM style writing, WWE would fit the bill if you want something open and go, but it is pretty easy to do yourself (then it's free!) with a bit of practice/attention. I really recommend listening to SWB's lecture on writing in the elementary years! :)

I had the same question! We're doing Rod and Staff 2 this year, but I feel like I want something else for writing for next year. I am not a big fan of WWE, so for us, we looked at Classical Writing and Writing Tales. You can look through sample pages and scope and sequence on their websites. Since I haven't used them yet, I can't tell you how well they work, but I liked the looks of both of them. I feel like either one will be a good supplement for R&S and the other writing we're doing through history and literature. BTW, both CW and WT have grammar practice added in, so it might seem like overkill with R&S, but it looks pretty simple, so I think it will be a good review and application of what DD learns in R&S.

Just my two cents on what we've decided to do.

I am currently using R&S 3. We do most of our writing accross the curriculum WTM style. When we get to writing assignments, we either do them as written or chose another topic that covers the same goals. At this point I have found it to be enough with the other narration and dictation we do.

My 3rd grader is maybe half way through R&S 3 (we started a little late). The only "writing" assignments that I've come across thus far have been something like a page with 4 pictures on it and the child is instructed to write an original sentence for each picture using a proper noun or something like that. I think she had to write one sentence each using do, does, and did when they introduced this helping verb. She might have to write a handful of original sentences once a week.

I love, love, love, R&S English but we are also using WWE across the curriculum.

ETA: O.K. I just did lesson 70 with dd and noticed that the next lesson is on the paragraph, and there are several more similar lessons after. Sorry about that.

I'm also using books 5,7, and 8 and the writing lessons are highlighted in the TOC. Book 3 didn't have any such highlighted topics and so I assumed there weren't any. That's what I get for assuming. :blushing:

Edited by silliness7

I don't have a MP3 player. Can I still download the lecture? Will it just download to my computer?

You can download iTunes for free and use that to listen to a download on your computer.

Or you can buy it on cd at the Peacehill press website too. A bit more $$ and you need to wait for it to arrive, but that's another option :).