Menu

Please tell me your favorite American Indian / Native American books, resources, etc

Aludlam

We are finishing up our history plans for this year. My kids have been begging to study American Indians/Native American. So, now seems like a great time to! We would love to know anything that you loved when you studied this. Any books, projects, etc.

thank you

Dohaschtida and Yaahlan are two books that were written by a German Lutheran missionary to the Sioux about 150 years ago (roughly). I read them as a kid, and ran across them again recently. They are VERY impressive to me at this point, as they reflect the conditions of the time (mandatory Indian schools, lots of military presence, etc.) but also a charity and a belief in the fundamental equality of humans before God that rings forth in a modern, almost timeless way.

I am not sure at which age I would recommend them for children, but I believe that you would enjoy them a great deal and that they are almost like primary source material, fictional though they are. I found them on Ebay. They are by the same author.

Guest dreese.nambe

A lot of people think that American Indians no longer exist, or that if we do, we live like our ancestors did hundreds of years ago. Some think that if we do not wear buckskin and feathers, live in tipis, and ride horses, that we aren't "real" Indians.

Course, they don't think they themselves are any less "American" because they don't dress like the Pilgrims did, but somehow, that is how too many people view us.

I'm saying "we" and "us" because I'm a tribally enrolled Pueblo Indian woman who grew up on our reservation in northern New Mexico. I know our Pueblo ways of being---our dances and ceremonies and such things, but I drive a car like most people do...

Thinking of us as "long ago and far away" leads people to trivialize us in many ways. Most people, for example, know that it is sacrilegious--or perhaps just inappropriate--to make saints in school using paper mache or similar items---but they don't realize that Hopi kachinas are similar to saints and therefore merit the same levels of respect accorded to saints.

Native stories are shelved in the fairy or folk tale of the library, when they should be shelved alongside other World Religions.

I invite you to learn about us in our present day, not past, existence. What are our issues and concerns? My website, American Indians in Children's Literature, has a great deal of content that you'll find useful. I don't offer arts and craft kits, or storytelling ideas. Instead, I offer critical essays and analysis to help you know in depth who we are, and how you might do a better job of teaching children about us.

http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.net

I teach my children the past lives of Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Cowboys and Am Indians just like any other people group. The good and the ugly. But they still see how people live today as well. The past is history. I would hate to see the day when we forget it.

ETA:

Yes, it is important to see how all people groups live today. My above post was in reply to this:

"I invite you to learn about us in our present day, not past, existence."

Edited by Susie in MS

A lot of people think that American Indians no longer exist, or that if we do, we live like our ancestors did hundreds of years ago. Some think that if we do not wear buckskin and feathers, live in tipis, and ride horses, that we aren't "real" Indians.

Course, they don't think they themselves are any less "American" because they don't dress like the Pilgrims did, but somehow, that is how too many people view us.

I'm saying "we" and "us" because I'm a tribally enrolled Pueblo Indian woman who grew up on our reservation in northern New Mexico. I know our Pueblo ways of being---our dances and ceremonies and such things, but I drive a car like most people do...

Thinking of us as "long ago and far away" leads people to trivialize us in many ways. Most people, for example, know that it is sacrilegious--or perhaps just inappropriate--to make saints in school using paper mache or similar items---but they don't realize that Hopi kachinas are similar to saints and therefore merit the same levels of respect accorded to saints.

Native stories are shelved in the fairy or folk tale of the library, when they should be shelved alongside other World Religions.

I invite you to learn about us in our present day, not past, existence. What are our issues and concerns? My website, American Indians in Children's Literature, has a great deal of content that you'll find useful. I don't offer arts and craft kits, or storytelling ideas. Instead, I offer critical essays and analysis to help you know in depth who we are, and how you might do a better job of teaching children about us.

http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.net

We live near the Choctaw reservation and have plans to go and visit with them during their annual fair. My kids do have trouble relating ancient civilizations with modern ones. They were shocked the first time they realized that there are still Egyptians today.

Thanks for the website, I will check it out!

And even more preposterously, that if you wear a headdress, you somehow are an Indian.

I really enjoyed the book Four Seasons of Corn: A Winnebago Tradition (We Are Still Here) by Sally M. Hunter and Joe Allen. I read it in the context of studying autumnal crops / nature, not particularly a "unit" on Native Americans. Anyway the family profiled is Native American, and the book shows their cultural traditions as well as the obvious fact that they are still alive. I didn't realize till I looked this up on Amazon that it's part of a series.