Menu

AAS & RS Spelling by Sound and Structure

DragonFaerie

I'm thinking about using both of these programs for DS8 next year. We're currently using AAS book 1 and it's going well. But, it's very teacher-intensive and I'm not sure I can tackle it everyday next year, though I do want him doing spelling daily. So, I'm thinking about using RS Monday-Friday and then doing AAS two days per week, kind of using AAS to supplement and teach/review the rules while using RS for his actual spelling lists/Spelling City/ tests, etc. Does this sound reasonable?

I'm thinking about doing this also. I really like AAS, but it does take my time so I'm more inclined to use it for a struggling speller. I think it's a great program, but if we don't DO it it's really not much help! I'm going to try R&S, to see if I get the results I want with less teacher interaction but if I see it's not what this child needs we'll just stick to AAS.

That's why I'm reluctant to give up AAS. It is definitely helping him. I just won't be able to sit and do spelling with him everyday. But he is a struggling speller so I want him working on something everyday. I think I will go with the combo plan and just use both. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be overkill. Thanks, guys!

I am interested in AAS next year, but I am concerned about it being too teacher intensive. Tell me more about how much is required of the parent. Also, what is another option?

I haven't used R&S for spelling (we do use it for English), but we are on level 2 of AAS. It is a bit teacher intensive in that you do all the flashcard review with your child, all of the teaching, all of the word/phrase/sentence dictating etc. BUT, you can do it for as little as 15 minutes/day.

Just set your timer for 15 minutes and go! Stop when you are out of time and pick it all up again the next day :).

I know I often feel like - wah, so teacher intensive; but it works! So I just pull it out and get going! Before long we've made a lot of spelling progress!

This is all we've ever used though, so I don't have any alternate suggestions :).