Menu

do you have to have the TT workbooks?

We only use the CD's here too. Before I ordered, I sat down with my boys and asked if they preferred using the workbook or just the CD's. I knew my 8 year old wouldn't want the workbook, but thought my 11 year old might want the workbook. He doesn't like to be on the computer, so we got him the workbook and the CD's (really for his brother). All this to say that when he finally got started, he loves the CD's and has done maybe 3 lessons in the book. He is now on Lesson 38 and has no intention of using the workbook!

What levels is this for?

I ask because grades 3-7 work a bit differently than Pre-algebra and up.

For levels 3-7 I don't have a need for the workbooks because the children to the work on the computer and it automatically grades them. The workbooks are just a word for word transcript of what the CD lecture says with the problems printed out. My kids just work the problems on a whiteboard and enter their answers on the computer.

For levels Pre-algebra and up (which we haven't gotten to yet) I thought the kids watched the lecture on the CD, then did the problems in the workbook. After checking their work with the answer key they go watch any they got wrong on the solutions disc.

Am I wrong on this part?

What levels is this for?

I ask because grades 3-7 work a bit differently than Pre-algebra and up.

For levels 3-7 I don't have a need for the workbooks because the children to the work on the computer and it automatically grades them. The workbooks are just a word for word transcript of what the CD lecture says with the problems printed out. My kids just work the problems on a whiteboard and enter their answers on the computer.

For levels Pre-algebra and up (which we haven't gotten to yet) I thought the kids watched the lecture on the CD, then did the problems in the workbook. After checking their work with the answer key they go watch any they got wrong on the solutions disc.

Am I wrong on this part?

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm looking at grade 5. I want something to bridge the gap between 5th and 6th grade math for dd1, and to use with dd2 who is going into 5th.

Both my younger kids are using the same year (Grade 6) and I bought the book but planned on not using it (bought the package used, book never used) and figured I could resell it all again. However my 10 year old was having a hard time doing the program on the computer because he had to write out all the problems on paper and it was just too much to do that, make sure it was lined up and do the problem. So I switched to the book and it made a huge difference.

So, no you don't need the book unless you have a child that might have that problem.

I like to have the workbook to see what's ahead. I don't have a laptop to take to bed ;)

As for the child, I think working out problems on paper is a good thing. Yes, you can use notebook paper but I prefer the workbook, so they don't have to write everything out (we are using TT3).

Lastly, if you need to school on the road or don't have access to a computer at least they can work out of the workbook.

Just a few thoughts :001_smile:

If you want pages for every lesson, just buy the workbook. If it is just an occasional "I feel like doing this on paper today" make your own. I find ds does need occasionally to write something down (about one or two problems per lesson.) He loved the cds when he started and has asked to work in the book once or twice. I told him no.:D I'm so mean, I know. At this point, however (he's on lesson 92) I just figure we might as well keep the book unused. The book has been really helpful for us for two things, however. There are chunks of this which ds knows, and doesn't need or want the review (read--makes him hate math). So, it is easier for me to thumb through the workbook than go lesson by lesson on the computer to figure out what lessons he needs to do. Also, since he no longer loves doing it on the computer, I occasionally do the lessons verbally with him and I find the book easier to do that with.