Menu

Does anyone use songs to teach basic facts?

mykdsmomy

Whether it be for math facts, history or grammar, does anyone use music for young children to help cement facts? If so, what CD or program do you use? I'm aware of Schoolhouse Rock but ds7 needs something that's broken down even simpler. Any suggestions? :001_smile:

We have the MUS skip counting CD but we rarely listen to it because the singing is too high-pitched for me to tolerate it very long :blush: - we do, however, listen regularly to the Hap Palmer counting CD that I found at our local library. It's so boring and monotone that if you're not careful, it'll hypnotize you to sleep LOL so we play it as background music, sort of low, and know what? Works even though the kids barely notice it playing.

My 5 year old's current favorite is They Might Be Giants.

I've also bought several things from Sing N Learn. They exhibit at our local homeschool convention, and while I don't attend it I'm always able to find their products at my Half-Price Books. We like them and listen to them in the car.

I don't use Shurley Grammar, but I know they have a/some (?) CDs that accompany their program, too.

My library has a ton of random CDs for science facts and math facts - have you checked there, too?

If you subscribe to Discovery Education, check there. They have quite a bit of audio for downloading by various companies. I also have found a lot of good songs on Napster-my husband brings home the coke rewards points from work, which we turn into Napster codes, and I turn into free music to use with DD. There's one CD called "Classroom Pop Vol 1" that has a lot of little teeny songs on various history topics that has worked well for us.

my ds didn't know his multiplication and I was so worried last year. We have done the CC foundations CD which has history songs and math multiples skip counting. My son has gone through a year of math in about 6 months after learning those songs and now knows alot of history too! I will continue to use those CDs.

Hope this helps!

I do. If I have music that fits the need, great. If I don't, I just make it up. Make up a tune or choose a simple tune like Twinkle Twinkle...gett he syllable and rhyme pattern and fill int he blanks

twinkle twinkle little star

how I wonder what you are

Up above the sky so high

like a diamond in the sky

7 (syllables) A (rhyme pattern begins)

7 A

7 B

7 B

**Plants grow from a little seed

words that rhyme with seed

need

deed

bead

lead

weed

reed

**From the soil, gets what it needs

**Water and some min'rals too

what rhymes with too?

boo

coo

do

due

hue

moo

new

chew

you

flew

blue

blew

**Up the stem, to leaves so new

etc etc

I have made up many many many songs like this to teach facts, processes, stories, etc. over the years as a school teacher and I do it with my 4 year old son now. I actually prefer this because the info can be presented exactly as I want it and my son likes to help me compose the lyrics:)

Thank you all!!!:hurray: These are all wonderful suggestions....Keep em coming.....I'm making a list :D

We have some funds left from our charter school for this year that has to be used up in a few days so I'm looking for some cd's to help supplement :)

- Bible verses: AWANA CDs

- The Ten Commandments: Veritas Press Blue CD with the board book "Hand Commands" by Ann Dunagan

- Books of the Bible: Classical Conversations CD with Bible Bookcase poster

- Christian catechism: Songs for Saplings

- Skip Counting: One Hundred Sheep (Christian) with hundreds chart

- Geography (solar system, continents & oceans, states): Audio Memory's Geography Songs CD (I am NOT a huge fan of the states & capitals CD)

- Presidents: Veritas Press Yellow

- Timeline: I plan to use the Veritas Press CDs (but haven't started this yet)

- Classical Conversations Memory Work CDs (haven't started CC yet)

Each kid has their "Smarty-Pants Notebook" in the car, and I have printed a page for each item we have memorized. Then I frantically change CDs as I drive and we just review as we go. For the most part, that's the only work we do on memory stuff, but they have learned so much!

My kids love the Geography, History, and Grammar CDs by Audio Memory! They have learned so much from them. I would like to find more CDs like them. Learning happens so painlessly. I will warn you though...some of the songs are "catchy, very catchy!" The verb song never goes away once you hear it! I almost can't take a few of the songs, but they do what they should. :-) I think that the history songs CD has the best originality in the songs of the ones I own. They are a bit less repetitive, probably due to the variety of content and they also have better instrumental backgrounds than the songs on the other two CDs.

Also, I own the Lyrical Science Human Body CD, (I can't remember the exact title off hand) and it has a wonderful variety of music styles on it. I would like to own all of the Lyrical Science CDs. :001_smile:

Angela