Menu

My son will be in 7th next year and I am planning on doing chemistry with him. I have purchased Real Science for Kids Level 1 for him, but am now reconsidering. Is it meaty enough for 7th grade? He has had very little chemistry up to this point. I am planning on having him memorize the periodic table, but do not as of yet have an extra resource for that.

Any suggestions on additional books or supplements? Any ideas or words of advice for us? Thanks so much!

Carly

Edited by carlychan

We used it this year and found it to be plenty "meaty". If you do all of the assignments and the vocabulary part I think the juice is worth the squeeze. They make no attempt to show how evolution fits into chemistry so I wouldn't go much beyond the forts series. The use of explaining the Latin roots we found to be very useful. I think the main problem we have with science is integrating what we learn into our daily lives and that's when you really retain and use it.

The experiments aren't real gee whiz but we found that they did illustrate the point being made in the book. It's not cool volcanoes being blown up but it is educational and teaches a concept. You can always go through it in 9-10 weeks and start another.

You could do Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry. After that, you could pick a physical science text and go through the chemistry portion. CPO has a 8th grade text that might fit well with this. The CPO Focus series is known to be cheaper than the series from the company. It is written to meet California standards.

There is also an on-line middle school chemistry program that is linked to on this board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237075 See #4.

There is also an on-line middle school chemistry program that is linked to on this board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237075 See #4.

My son is in 7th this year and doing Chemistry. I saw the above linked program a while back and decided to give it a try. It's working out well for him. We're using it in addition to NOEO Chemistry Level III. If I had known about the ACS program though, I wouldn't have spent the money on NOEO. It isn't bad, but I think the free program is just as good, if not better.

Someone even put a materials list together for the ACS curriculum.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226507