Menu

Gift Ideas for girls turning 10

Well, they own pretty much everything and am now getting into that preteen stage so looking for some ideas that would surprise them!

Well, Alexa would recommend Little Passports haha. What about signing up for a special class, activity, or lesson that they are interested in? Or tickets to a fun event- a play, a musical, a concert, etc? A new magazine subscription? Money to start their own bank account if they don't already have one?

About 10yo both my oldest daughters fell in love with all things Nancy Drew -- the books, video games, specialty books (Nancy Drew cookbook, for example). It makes it easy to shop when they have a favorite character. The PC video games are fun and they actually teach quite a few interesting things as Nancy is assigned many tasks to complete as she collects clues (morse code, cooking measurements, etc.).

If they already have things like a DS and ipod, a gift cert to Game Stop or iTunes would be popular. Mine would be thrilled with a gift certificate to (or a budget to spend at) the used bookstore or even Goodwill, but would also like ones for new clothing stores or new bookstores. She's hit the preteen growth spurt and developed a much stronger sense of fashion (though I have to keep a close eye on that one :)), which makes shopping a challenge. She's asked for a shopping trip to the mall for her 11th birthday (we rarely shop at the mall, so it would be a treat for her). I've considered getting a mall gift certificate (our local malls do that), which are good at any store in that mall, IIRC.

We redid my daughter's bedroom about that age (on a moderate budget). She first looked around the house for ways to change things up to look less "little girl." Then she developed a plan for what she wanted. We shopped thrift stores and sales and got a few new things for the room. Luckily her birthday coincides with the "back to college" sales, so that helped.;) A rearrangement of furniture, a good clean out of old toys and a new bedding set did wonders.

My daughter also likes magazines: Kiki, Owl, Faces, Puzzlemania, American Girl. Her grandmother gets her some of these, we get others. She's currently interested in being an interior designer, so she's loving my subscription to Better Homes and Gardens ;). If your daughters have a particular interest, a specialty magazine might be a good option.

Edited by KarenNC

How about a pretty journal that you and she can use to write notes to each other? You can write the first note, a birthday note, and invite her to write in it whenever she wants to tell you things, ask you questions, etc. You can pass it back and forth. My dd's and I have done this for many years and it's become an important part of our communication. It's a small gift, but it can have large impact, KWIM?

Well, Alexa would recommend Little Passports haha. What about signing up for a special class, activity, or lesson that they are interested in? Or tickets to a fun event- a play, a musical, a concert, etc? A new magazine subscription? Money to start their own bank account if they don't already have one?

OK, tell me more about those Passports. Would they need a subscription each? Which one did you get?

TIA.

For my 10 year old neice, her favorites (although impersonal) are gift cards. She just loves to shop. I usually take her though and we'll get a special treat at Starbucks so we spend some time together. She wants wants to be grownup and loves to be able to pick out and buy something herself even if it is small.

My dd got a small video camera for her 10yo birthday.

She also has a lap loom that she loves.

At 10, she als also finally old enough to take wheel throwing pottery classes at art school which was probably her favorite present. She takes classes with her dad and they both love it.

Dd just turned 11 a few weeks ago and I was having the same problem trying to figure out what to get her. I ended up buying her all new bedding--sheets, super soft blanket, comforter, pillows, etc... When she was out at a friend's the day before her birthday, I washed everything and made up her bed as a surprise. She loved it!