Menu

SOTW alternative?

tntgoodwin

Are the any alternatives to SOTW? Something that does pretty much the same thing, but from a different author or authors? I think I would prefer something from multiple authors, just for comparisons sake. Let me know if you know of anything!

Christian or secular is fine, I am interested in accuracy. Also, mostly looking for more in the US history era.

Edited by tntgoodwin

You may want to state secular or Christian in design. :)

I will say that public texts exist that are divided into the classical studies and have for some years. I want to say that they are the Prentice Hall World Explorer sets. They are colorful and have good pictures. You could read passages. These are the only ones I know that might be ok for such a young group.

If Christian content is not an issues, MOH of course, although once again you will need to read.

I think for the ages of your dc I would approach ancient history interactively. Watch some movies/documentaries. I would use the library resources too. I would not begin a read aloud with SOTW until first grade. I would type "egypt" into the library search engine and choose ten books. I would buy a lapbook or history pocket and coloring sheets. I read to my girls while they colored. Also, I cut the pieces for the pockets and lapbooks ahead of time.

You're looking for an anthology or some other work that has several different, distinct perspectives on various events in it, about world history?

ETA: Oh, for US history.

But are you looking for a SOTW type book by someone else, who is not SWB, about US history, OR a single book by multiple authors that includes multiple perspectives.

Edited by stripe

Why not look at Beautiful Feet? You have a guide and literature selections. Oh, and go look at Biblioplan too. You do not have to use SOTW and could choose to use MOH with other primary books.

Both of these use more than one author, although not one thick book. The guides plans everything out. You can get all kinds of things to go along or accompany your study should you desire.

Heart of Dakota (Darkness, hehe) and My Father's World come to mind for multiple resources and planning included as well.

Edited by ChrissySC

LOL, yes error .. I was looking at the book and trying to decide if I wanted to read it. Oh my goodness! I think this might be a sign that I am spending too much time on here lately!

Note - you know the book - Joseph Conrad wrote it. I read it a long time ago and thought of it when I was reading another post about 7th/5th grade reading lit.