Menu

WWYD busy times?

This is a spin off of the schooling year-round thread. It just got me thinking. This year we took two weeks off during March. Because of the nature of our business, my dh and I work almost non-stop during the month of March. It is much too nerve-wracking and frustrating to do school during that time. What do you have your kids do if you are just too busy to school for a time? I do not want a repeat of this past month next year. The boys are able to help with outside work but I don't want them to neglect learning. They are not that great about working independently and they do need me for most subjects. Any suggestions on keeping them learning but without me having to be there? I'd rather not just plunk them down in front of Discovery Channel every afternoon but it may come to that. :) As I said in the other thread, they aren't too good with focusing on projects independently and none of them enjoy reading. (How is it possible I gave birth to these children?!) Maybe the solution is to just have them work outside with us. Maybe we need to work more on working independently. *sigh* Any ideas?

Can they do crafts or projects? Games?

Every fourth month I have a crazy busy work schedule, so we just started taking those months off and schooling year-round. Those busy months I still have them doing school, though - casual stuff. Legos, building rockets, playing games, making sock puppets, various crafts. Application of skills is what we call it LOL. The last month the kids spent a week working on a house of cards. They also do things like re-organize their closets (and start a donation pile), which takes several days, but my kids like that sort of thing. Can the older ones plan an obstacle course for the younger ones? Or something like that? These are things we do here ... after an hour or more of Discovery Channel ::blush:: LOL.

Maybe the solution is to just have them work outside with us. Maybe we need to work more on working independently. *sigh* Any ideas?

I didn't read the other post you mention, but I think there is profit in having them work alongside you outside. If this is a business you own, which is what I'm assuming, call it a month of apprenticeship. It is learning and it is of value. And they are boys, well the 2 oldest are. Boys need to work. There is a book, I think it may be Christian, called Created for Work. You may want to read it if the Christian-ness wouldn't be an issue.

But yes, said gently, especially at 12, they do need to be able to work independently. At least a little bit. MY kids are 16, 13 and 10. If I were to feel ill and not be able to school for a couple days, my kids would muster on without me. They know that grammar, spelling, math are just do the next lesson. Yes, sometimes they would need an explanation of those concepts. But sometimes they don't. My kids naturally started doing this. I think my oldest just started and the others saw that as the thing to be done. Just saying I can't really give you ideas of how to teach them to take ownership of their work and do it on their own.

Thank you for the replies! This definitely gives me some ideas. I think next March I will be more organized so it doesn't feel like the kids are just messing around all day. Application of skills...I like that! Computer games is a good idea too. I think they would really like to do a house of cards and I love the idea of reorganizing their rooms! Actually my 12 yo likes to do that.

I agree, Cheryl, that at least my 12 yo should be working more independently. It is more a self-discipline problem than his inability. :glare: He has good days and bad days. We will keep working on it! Our attitude towards work is the same as yours. Work is not a horrible thing. (We are Christian and have often reminded them that even in the Garden of Eden, Adam was to work.) They do a lot of physical work already. I guess I feel like if we take time off of school, they should still be doing something educational part of the day. Is that weird? :001_smile: Because we have a lot of people around during March (many of whom are retired teachers), I tend to defend myself by explaining to everyone that the kids also do school during the summer and that they just have an extended "spring break" during March. I really need to not be so defensive.