Menu

North Virginia - Lost Out Here:) Help!

Hey Guys!

So we just moved to the DC area and we are wayyyy out in Manassas:O I am having so much trouble finding what I need without having to drive 40 min to an hour. I really need some advice on good homeschool groups co-ops to get involved in AND I just found out I'm pregnant and need a midwife that works out of a good hospital. I don't know anyone out this far so I can't get any recommendations which is what I usually go on. I've only heard bad things about Potomac, so so things about Prince William and good things about Fairfax hospital. Anyone have advice on homeschool groups in my area, which hospital is the best to have a baby at and a midwife that works out of one?

• 2 weeks later...

I had two babies in Northern Virginia with midwives but I had home births. There is also a new midwife practice that has a birth center in Chantilly which might not be too far from you depending on which side of Manassas you live on. Again - they don't do hospital births. I do not know much about Prince William hospital but I have attended several births at Fairfax. Midwives who practice there are much closer to the concept of a doctor rather than the low-intervention births often associated with midwives. Fairfax has rather strict policies about things like fetal monitors, IVs, walking if your water has broken etc. It's possible to get around them but I found that the fight was often a difficult one and not necessarily something you want to deal with while in labor. If you are just looking for a midwife but aren't looking low-intervention, then it's probably not going to be a problem. On the other hand, if you are (heaven forbid) even in the position of needing neo-natal intensive care, then hands-down you want to be at Fairfax Hospital. It's the best in the DC area for that kind of thing.

Heather

HI,

WHEAT (We home educate and train) is an excellent homeschool group. It is a Christian group but very inclusive. Women are very supportive.

If you are interested I can have them send you their latest newsletter to give you a "feel" of what the group is about.

Hey Guys!

So we just moved to the DC area and we are wayyyy out in Manassas:O I am having so much trouble finding what I need without having to drive 40 min to an hour. I really need some advice on good homeschool groups co-ops to get involved in AND I just found out I'm pregnant and need a midwife that works out of a good hospital. I don't know anyone out this far so I can't get any recommendations which is what I usually go on. I've only heard bad things about Potomac, so so things about Prince William and good things about Fairfax hospital. Anyone have advice on homeschool groups in my area, which hospital is the best to have a baby at and a midwife that works out of one?

I have no advice, unfortunately, since we're new too. I can finally drive to Target without pulling out the GPS.

But I just wanted to give a little NOVA wave hello.

:hurray:

my favorite used bookstore in the world is Richard McKay Used Books. Amazing place! Good luck finding birthing help, and congratulations on the expected little one!

Ooh, I love a good used bookstore.

We love to hit the library book sales. Montgomery Co Library has a booksale room that is open all the time. DH used to pack his suitcase full when he did trips to DC while we were stationed overseas.

The Fairfax Co Libraries also have book sales run by their Friends' groups. The dates rotate around. I'd say that there is probably a booksale at some library nearly every weekend.

Hi - NoVA is sort of that way with a lot of things being a hike (30-40 min) not really in your immediate area...at least in my experience. If your kids play soccer, we enjoyed the FISHE homeschool soccer last fall. (they do spring soccer also). Our field was not too far from Manassas - relatively speaking. :D

I recently moved but was seeing a good midwives group that delivers at Loudoun Hosp - http://www.loudouncommunitymidwives.com/

HTH! (p.s. McKay Used Books is awesome!)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Manassas! There is a home school organization called http://www.homeschool-life.com/va/hopehs/ - known as HOPE. It is very inexpensive to join and they offer outings for the kids varying by age, monthly meetings and more - I just don't take advantage of the "more" so not entirely sure what all is really available.

As for midwives, I've had 3 of my 4 babies using the Fairfax Ob/gyn Associates and they just opened a new office in Gainesville. They are affiliated with Fairfax/Fair Oaks hospital, which for me, was important. Absolutely love, love, the midwives.

If you need more info, church recommendations, dance instruction, etc. just send me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.

Welcome!

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone!!! I had forgotten to check back here for responses and missed these. Anyway, still feeling a bit displaced but better:)

I joined two homeschool groups - WHEAT and HOPE. I'm looking at Harvester's co-op classes - anyone know about those?

I LOVE McKay's Used Books:)

I'm still up in the air about where I am going to have baby #3 which is probably not so good since I'm 29 weeks today. :-/ I had decided on The Physician and Midwife Collaborative Practice (http://www.physiciansandmidwives.com/services_midwifery.htm) because the recommendation I got told me they deliver out of Fairfax but after I started going to them I found out they no longer do. They only deliver out of Alexandria Hospital and I don't know anything about it. It's kind of a long drive for us from Manassas - if I was going to be laid back about the drive I probably would have chosen the midwife practice in Loudoun. This pregnancy has drained the life from me - so much rougher than the last two - and I've put off looking for midwives who deliver out of Fairfax. Does anyone have experience with Alexandria?

It has been years since I've been in the Alexandria area or used that hospital. Given the major traffic issues you might face in the time of delivery, you might want to consider something a wee bit closer. I'm not sure about your preference for Fairfax over Fair Oaks - they are both in the INOVA system and the Fair Oaks hospital has made major, major renovations. I just looked at the link you provided for the Midwives - Gina was listed and she is awesome!!! She worked at the Fairfax OB/GYN before she adopted a little girl. She delivered my 3rd baby - she is sooooo wonderful. She left the practice to be home with her little one - guess she found a new home. Hmm....now if I was guaranteed that she would deliver my baby I would have to seriously consider driving to Alexandria!

You might give the practice I mentioned before a call - they have 3 or 4 midwives - they are all really wonderful ladies. They have offices in Gainesville, Woodbridge and in the medical building at Fair Oaks. I know there is a great practice out in Loudon and Reston Hospital is also a great but greater distance from your location - just a wee bit less than perhaps Alexandria hospital.

I've heard about the coop you mentioned but we don't use co-ops so no feedback on that one. Sorry.

Edited by 1shortmomto4
add on comment

Thanks Heidi! I looked up Gina and I actually got her for one of my appointments last month and you're right, she's great. I wish I could have her for my birth for sure - she is the best person I've seen at that practice:) I actually have the practice you mentioned on my list of calls to make, thanks! I'm going to check into how complicated it would be to change at this point because I would like to deliver out of Fair Oaks. I appreciate the help. :)