Menu

Literature ideas for advanced rising 4th grader?

I would like book suggestions for my rising 4th grader for next year. He's read more contemporary fiction which is great, but I think I'd like to include more classics and I would appreciate ideas.

To give you an idea of his reading level and interest, some of the books he read during 3rd grade:

shiloh

holes by louis sachar

harry potter 1 and 2

bunnicula

charlie and the chocolate factory

dogs don't laugh by louis sachar

ghost's shack

the black stallion

the fantastic mr. fox

Black Stallion Returns

Bridge to Terabithia

How to Eat Fried Worms

Hatchet by Gary Paulson

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Thank you for suggestions.

Edited by Halcyon

The VP catalog lists books by grade and is a good place to start (just bump up a grade or two as needed). And look at the WTM reading lists, which also you can bump up a grade or more as needed. Make sure you check the history as well as LA chapters.

Will check out VP. I find the WTM recs tend toward children's versions of classics, which we haven't loved. I particularly want to find adventure stories, but the kid's versions of Treasure Island and such are not, IMO, particularly captivating. But I will revisit my WTM just to be sure I haven't missed anything. I would also like to find some biographies and history books, if anyone can suggest some that a young boy might enjoy.

Off to check out VP. Thanks.

Edited by Halcyon

We've used the TQ guides from the beginning, so we've always had tons of history and historical fiction options. The VP catalog will give you a ton, and TOG (lampstand, then click bookshelf central) will give you more. One trick there is to find an author you like and search for more books by them.

The Hobbit is I think listed in the 4th gr lit list for VP. We've always done the WTM reading lists a year advanced. I don't mind the children's versions of the classics, but then I didn't read them, lol. Dd read them so long ago, it really didn't matter. For us reading is about the picture as a whole, not the dreadfulness of any one component.

As far as versions go, I always go for the unabridged. With The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings the forwards/prologues aren't necessary while the appendices are optional :) .

This year 3rd grade ds enjoyed...

The Hobbit

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

The Wind in the Willows

He's a sci-fi/fantasy/series kid and also enjoyed...

Harry Potter 1 - 7

The Edge Chronicles series

The Redwall series

The Half Magic series

The Red Pyramid

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

He also has enjoyed all of the readers/read alouds from SL core 3 as well :) .