Menu

Standardized Testing

I'm looking for input on what level standardized test to order. Our local homeschool store administers the Iowa test. 2 years ago we did the Kindergarten level when my daughter was 4. It was a waste of time (since she could read and the test requires the administrator to read it to you she was frustrated and bored). I skipped last year but was thinking of testing this year and can't decide what grade test to order. Should I order the grade she should be in (1st in private school...K in public school since she just turned 6 last month) or the grade level she's working on....or should I just skip the testing all together. Quick overview of where we are:

She turned 6 last month but reads on a high school level. We have almost completed portions of a 2nd grade grammar book (daily grams by Easy Grammar). We are half way through with MUS Gamma (which I think is loosely equivalent to 2nd or 3rd grade).

What do you hope to learn from testing at this stage?

I would not personally test at just-turned-6. I did have my DD test at 7 1/2, but that was only because my DH made it a precondition of continuing HS for the 2010-2011 year (he has been a skeptic and always hems & haws each year about Feb-Mar). I would've preferred to wait until this year (3rd grade).

DH wants testing to reassure him that we're not making a mistake, so DD will take the 1st grade SAT-10 with a local homeschool group this Spring. For me, the determining factor was that, while 2nd or 3rd grade would be a better fit academically and tell me more, it also is longer and requires more fine motor skills, and I thought even the 1st grade one would be a strain for a 6 yr old to sit through. I figure she'll either get 100% correct, or bomb it entirely, depending on how cooperative she decides to be. However, she's been more cooperative in the past with a stranger testing her than with me, even when the test was pretty tedious, so I'm hoping that being at a group administration with someone she doesn't know giving the test will be enough novelty to get her through it.

You may want to consider seeing if there is someone in your area who can administer the Woodcock Johnson III to her. That's the test we used when my daughter was young (I first had her tested at 5 in kindergarten to reassure myself:)). It's given by a professional (which you said works better for your daughter), is short (takes about an hour), at that stage mostly oral as I remember it (takes care of the fine motor issue and dealt well with my wiggly daughter), is normed all the way beyond high school (so it will give you a better idea of where she is than that she just maxes out some levels on a grade level test), and you get the results immediately. It does cost a bit more than most of the other tests (ours was $70 vs. about $45 to do the Iowa at home).

You'll likely find this page helpful in learning about the various kinds of testing. http://hoagiesgifted.org/testing.htm

Edited by KarenNC

We only tested at that age because our state required it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with a standardized test. We used the Peabody test. It is oral and it takes less than an hour. It does not have a ceiling--so you can see what level your child is really at. You do need to find someone who is certified to administer it; we found the rates to be quite reasonable.

I have been told that you should test on what grade level the child is in not at what level they are working on. My son is taking the IOWA 4th grade test next week because it is required for us. Since he is working on grade levels way ahead, his scores have enabled him to join programs such as Duke Tips and others for gifted and talented. If he tested say the 7th or 8th grade test he would maybe score as an average student, and he would not as easily qualify for different programs. Just something to think about. If you are just trying to test basic knowledge, there are other tests out there that do a much better job than Stanford or Iowa.

I have been told that you should test on what grade level the child is in not at what level they are working on. My son is taking the IOWA 4th grade test next week because it is required for us. Since he is working on grade levels way ahead, his scores have enabled him to join programs such as Duke Tips and others for gifted and talented. If he tested say the 7th or 8th grade test he would maybe score as an average student, and he would not as easily qualify for different programs. Just something to think about. If you are just trying to test basic knowledge, there are other tests out there that do a much better job than Stanford or Iowa.

IMO (partially based on other discussions from this board and its previous incarnation:)), there are a variety of reasons for testing and different tests or strategies that work better for those different reasons.

I had my daughter do the Woodcock in K-2 because I felt the style would be a better fit for her age level while giving a good idea of her actual achievement. In 2nd, we did the Iowa and Woodcock the same week because I wanted to see how they compared (while avoiding temptation to teach to any areas that I could tell were issues on either test before the other one;)). The results were similar. I chose an out of level Iowa that year, giving her a 4th grade test in 2nd grade in order to get an idea of where she was, looking for the 50th percentile (average).

In 3rd and 4th we did the Iowa at grade level because I wanted the qualifying scores for the Duke TIP and I added in the CogAt in 4th grade to see how that came out. This year (5th), we went back to the Woodcock because I didn't have the time to spend several days on testing. Ironically, I didn't enroll her in the Duke program until this year and used the current Woodcock scores. :)

If I were to test solely to satisfy the state requirement (which a lot of people do) with the minimum of fuss and expense, I'd do the CAT survey test. I prefer what I feel will be a bit more information, and for that I like either the Iowa or the Woodcock (haven't tried the Stanford). Since she's part of the Duke program, she'll do the Explore next year, which is an 8th grade test.

You may want to consider seeing if there is someone in your area who can administer the Woodcock Johnson III to her. That's the test we used when my daughter was young (I first had her tested at 5 in kindergarten to reassure myself:)). It's given by a professional (which you said works better for your daughter), is short (takes about an hour), at that stage mostly oral as I remember it (takes care of the fine motor issue and dealt well with my wiggly daughter), is normed all the way beyond high school (so it will give you a better idea of where she is than that she just maxes out some levels on a grade level test), and you get the results immediately. It does cost a bit more than most of the other tests (ours was $70 vs. about $45 to do the Iowa at home).

You'll likely find this page helpful in learning about the various kinds of testing. http://hoagiesgifted.org/testing.htm

:iagree: The Peabody Achievement works similarly and is cheaper for us locally. Our tester does both the WJ and the Peabody and recommends the Peabody over the WJ for young kids. It does have a lower ceiling, but has a wider variety of questions at lower levels according to her so kids get a better chance to show what they know. My oldest will probably hit the ceiling this year as a 4th grader (I think we will do it one more time). But it's been great for the past few years for him. We paid $50 to have it administered in our home.

:iagree: The Peabody Achievement works similarly and is cheaper for us locally. Our tester does both the WJ and the Peabody and recommends the Peabody over the WJ for young kids. It does have a lower ceiling, but has a wider variety of questions at lower levels according to her so kids get a better chance to show what they know. My oldest will probably hit the ceiling this year as a 4th grader (I think we will do it one more time). But it's been great for the past few years for him. We paid $50 to have it administered in our home.

Thanks for more information on the Peabody. I don't know if anyone in our area offers it. There seems to be a bit of regional influence in the specific tests available. For instance, I don't think I've seen anyone in our area offer the Stanford test, either, though it seems it's a popular one for group testing in other areas.

I'm looking for input on what level standardized test to order. Our local homeschool store administers the Iowa test. 2 years ago we did the Kindergarten level when my daughter was 4. It was a waste of time (since she could read and the test requires the administrator to read it to you she was frustrated and bored). I skipped last year but was thinking of testing this year and can't decide what grade test to order. Should I order the grade she should be in (1st in private school...K in public school since she just turned 6 last month) or the grade level she's working on....or should I just skip the testing all together. Quick overview of where we are:

She turned 6 last month but reads on a high school level. We have almost completed portions of a 2nd grade grammar book (daily grams by Easy Grammar). We are half way through with MUS Gamma (which I think is loosely equivalent to 2nd or 3rd grade).

In the past we have had testing conducted at a gifted school (Woodcock Johnson), and I have also had my children take standardized tests through a local group purely for accountability purposes. To answer your question, I have typically enrolled them for tests 2-3 grade levels higher than their chronological age. Even then it is meaningless because of the low ceiling. In retrospect, the only benefit/s are (1)acclimating them to standardized testing and/or (2)accountability to some outside authority.